• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blaser Rifles Questions

Re: Blaser Rifles Questions

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...581#Post2522581

a well done review by our own....
smile.gif

This is what I know about them. These test groups are from a hunting rifle, Blaser, I worked on for a friend in 300WM firing 220 grain RN Sierra flat base bullets at 100 yards - a big, fat ugly bullet with the BC of a Greyhound bus. These are the first groups in an OCW test.
My shooting position was prone.
No bi-pod, but sandbags front and rear.
The rifle was new.
Though the first group is, some may say, a one-holer, groups #2, and #4 could be also drawn in to the one-hole, three shot group business with seating depth adjustment.
Also, notice that although there is a .7 change in powder charge increase the points of impact are nearly, if not, the same. Speaks to the construction of the barrel and bedding mechanism. Know that this barrel is a one screw take-off barrel change.
I've never done this (shoot three in one hole) this early in load development before with any other rifle, even custom guns.
I was very impressed.

rrrz9c.jpg

Chiller, this is a gentleman's disagreement. Please pardon me. That is not a well done review.

First, the name if the gun is pronounced like Blouser. Not like Blazer. Your reviewer pronounced the gun's manufacturer like Blazer. My brain almost blocked the remainder of the review. If John didn't know the name of the German gun company that has been making guns for as long as they have, he perhaps was not sufficiently familiar with the weapon system and couldn't provide an objective evaluation.

Second, a shooter "inserts" a magazine. A shooter does not "slap" a mag into a weapon. This weapon is not Bubba's '03 Springfield. Finally, a mag change in a precision environment such that this system would be deployed is rare, wouldn't you think?

Third, this weapon is a professional sniper system. Although an LEO sharpshooter may be forced to shoot from a bench he is more likely than not going to choose a prone position of sorts. Therefore, the weapon should have been evaluated thus.

Fourth, a simple push of the button would have revealed the ease of which the bolt is removed for cleaning or switching.

Fifth, a simple few turns of the provided allen wrench on the barrel set screw would have revealed the ease with which the weapon's barrel is removed, replaced, fired and without changing zero. Wow! That would have impressed viewers if the evaluator had objectively and professionally evaluated the weapon.

BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, this is a gentleman's disagreement. Please pardon me. That is not a well done review.

First, the name if the gun is pronounced like Blouser. Not like Blazer. Your reviewer pronounced the gun's manufacturer like Blazer. My brain almost blocked the remainder of the review. If John didn't know the name of the German gun company that has been making guns for as long as they have, he perhaps was not sufficiently familiar with the weapon system and couldn't provide an objective evaluation.

Second, a shooter "inserts" a magazine. A shooter does not "slap" a mag into a weapon. This weapon is not Bubba's '03 Springfield. Finally, a mag change in a precision environment such that this system would be deployed is rare, wouldn't you think?

Third, this weapon is a professional sniper system. Although an LEO sharpshooter may be forced to shoot from a bench he is more likely than not going to choose a prone position of sorts. Therefore, the weapon should have been evaluated thus.

Fourth, a simple push of the button would have revealed the ease of which the bolt is removed for cleaning or switching.

Fifth, a simple few turns of the provided allen wrench on the barrel set screw would have revealed the ease with which the weapon's barrel is removed, replaced, fired and without changing zero. Wow! That would have impressed viewers if the evaluator had objectively and professionally evaluated the weapon.

BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER BLOUSER</div></div>

What an arrogant asshole.

So your whole beef with LW's review is because he expresses and talks a different way than you do for the same operation... and your experience is similarly based on a single experience with the platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morgan711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Why are they so damn expensive ?
2) Anyone on here shoot one often ?
3) Can they really be worth that much money ? ie $5500 on Gun Broker for a " tactical style .223 "
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=238269629

I mean crap you could buy a super Custom GAP ! </div></div>

1.) Imported rifle designed for professional use.
2.) I have shot them infrequently. (more than a couple times, less than often)
3.) "Worth" is a wholly subjective view based upon what you "want". Apparently they are worth it to some people, because those people buy them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell for for sure if the barrel is floated? </div></div>

Yes. At least when referring to the Tactical 2 and similar models. The barrel is free floated to the chamber where it is attached to the chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, this is a gentleman's disagreement. Please pardon me. That is not a well done review.</div></div>

Thankfully when I do videos I don't much worry about what one or two folks think. I have gotten many, many, many compliments about that video, so apparently it succeeded in what I intended it to be.

It also amazes me when folks who are not professional shooters tell me what professionals do or do not do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It also amazes me when folks who are not professional shooters tell me what professionals do or do not do. </div></div>

That's going to be a signature line.

A guy in my monthly long range match shoots one in .300wm. I run a surgeon 260. So we swapped rifles for a few stages. As you know the 260 and 300 are pretty close ballistically. I like the smooth bolt of the blaser and it shot nice. But it didn't do anything special over my surgeon. It was neat, fun to shoot, but i'd take a remington style action over a proprietary design.

my 2 cents

Being English raised everyone here speaks oddly but that's not the filter by which to determine who knows what they are talking about or otherwise.

I thought the review was thoughtful, evidence based and detailed in so far as the reviewer stated he had limited time to perform the review.

He didn't say it was an exhaustive review and in fact in the thread stated he'd prefer to do an on-going review access to the firearm permitting.

Casey - your points are valid but you've diluted them by criticizing the reviewer rather than simply providing what would have been a useful 'addendum' to the reviewer's comments.

I've had the chance to fire off 20 rounds of .308 on this platform. The rifle is extremely conformable to shooter preferences in the prone position. The issue of accuracy I think has been settled and the barrel life point was a new one on me and should be a consideration in people's purchasing decision.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it because I don't feel it's a very versatile stock for a .308 but for a .338LM, where you'll be prone 99% of the time, then it's a serious contender IMHO.

some here on the Hide got some ....."institutional memory"

me thinks that there was a very extensive photo collection of some European shooter that had one of these blazer blouser come apart on him and boogered him up pretty good, to include bedside pictures of a badly mangled face and what was left of the bolt and receiver after it grenaded in the shooters face.....he was lucky to be alive.......just sayin.

I have thought about picking one up in a few years when I take care of some of the other "wants" first. I don't need one, but it is a neat system.

The problem is it has to compete with AI and Sako. You have to bring your A-Game to that match and I believe the Blazer still has some deficiencies.

Additionally I would really like to throw one in a muddy ditch to see how the bolt works when it gets icky. The caretaker of the rifle knows me too well and specifically asked me that I not do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">me thinks that there was a very extensive photo collection of some European shooter that had one of these blazer blouser come apart on him and boogered him up pretty good, to include bedside pictures of a badly mangled face and what was left of the bolt and receiver after it grenaded in the shooters face.....he was lucky to be alive.......just sayin. </div></div>

You've seen my face. I ain't got much to look at to begin with.