• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Blinking while shooting

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Didnt know if this is the right place to put this, but I recently went to the range with my new Remington 700 sps tactical to zero it in and see what kind of groups I can get. I did pretty well with a 3 shot group measuring .362. I did realize however, that as soon as the rifle goes off, I blink. I went home and practiced dry firing, and even then I blink real fast. Is this bad? What are some exercises to help me? Thanks a lot, Evan

You are focusing on the wrong thing. Focus on your crosshairs, breathing, trigger control, make sure you are using a good body position, natural POA. When you focus on all that, I'm thinking your blinking will subside.

A lot of people would be surprised if they could see a video of them as the shot broke. Even when you think you don't blink, the recoil will cause the involuntary act with the eyes. It takes lots of repititions to overcome this occurance. But take heart, there is a big difference between flinching (and blinking ) as the shot breaks, and blinking after the shot breaks. Doing it as the shot breaks causes a miss. Doing it as a result of the shot breaking probably wont. but work on it, nonetheless!

Also, having a friend load your magazine with a mix of snap caps and real ammo can help you work on focusing on the fundamentals instead of the recoil/shot.

Also, having a friend load your magazine with a mix of snap caps and real ammo can help you work on focusing on the fundamentals instead of the recoil/shot.

This works extremely well. Helps with immediate action following a misfire as well. You can mix them your self, just get multiple magazines and shuffle them around afterwards so you don't know which is which.

This works extremely well. Helps with immediate action following a misfire as well. You can mix them your self, just get multiple magazines and shuffle them around afterwards so you don't know which is which.

That's a good idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Double up on your ear pro. Plugs and muffs. That loud blast can cause the blink also. It is also good for the ears!

Easiest, quickest start to correcting any problem.
Blinking at the discharge is just part of the autonomic response your body has. No way to really eliminate it, as it is was developed over thousands of years. Our nervous system is not designed to naturally deal with an explosion in our face.
Double bagging your ears eliminates/drastically reduces one component.
As others have noted, dummy round drills and dry fire will help with what remains.
Embrace the recoil and blast! Learn to enjoy the fact that you are in full control of awesome power.

when I go shooting I shoe goo my eyelids to my eyebrows in the morning before I leave the house, sometimes you get some funny looks in the car from people next to you at a stoplight but fuckem, they dont know you are on the way to the range to get some serious training in. Once you get home just deuche some cotton balls in acetone and lather yer eyeballs real good it will break the shoe goo loose.

It's not a problem as long as it happens as a result of the shot, and not in anticipation.

The latter is a good indicator that the trigger is going to get jerked, and is something instructors look for. Generally, the shooter's inability to call the shot confirms the condition.

If it is a result of the shot, don't sweat it; ignore the tendency and move on to more important factors in your shooting process/technique. It is pointless and usually impossible to curtail the after-blink.

Greg

Blinking while shooting

If it happens after the shot it's still a problem, because it interferes with staying engaged with the rifle and with your follow-through.

Remember, the shot event does not end when the noise happens.