• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing blown cases

Re: blown cases

Can you give us more details on it?

Caliber, bullets, loading data, etc.

There's lots of issues. One simple fix could be a load worked up in cold temps or high altitudes and then shot in hot temps and/or low altitudes.

What kind of "blown cases" are we talking?

Yeah...

'Multiple blown cases' is a pretty vague sysmptom to be trying to diagnose.

First off the top of my head would be operator error. But you need to give more info.

We shoot factory loaded hornady 168gr. A-Max rnds. We all shhot the same lot number, and we have about 10,000 rnds on hand. No one else has had a problem with this ammo before. Also, the cases were splitting down the middle, no blown primers,or case head seperation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgj1119</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot factory loaded hornady 168gr. A-Max rnds. We all shhot the same lot number, and we have about 10,000 rnds on hand. No one else has had a problem with this ammo before. Also, the cases were splitting down the middle, no blown primers,or case head seperation. </div></div>

Were there any other pressure signs or was it just splitting the case? How many rounds split? Was it just your rifle?

If every other brand of ammo through the rifle has been fine my first call would be to Hornady. If you have 10,000 rounds on hand from the same lot, I wouldn't want 10,000 rounds for worthless ammo.

I don't remember where it was but there was a problem some months ago of Hornady ammo in .223 I think, that was having a problem. The ammo was loaded by another company for Hornady not sure if this is something similar.

Where is it splitting? I have seen ammo split at the necks because of some build up of brass deposits. Used a reamer to clean it up and cleaned it real well, problem went away.

did it just start splitting every case all of a sudden or has it been only one or two, and what caliber is the rifle chambered in?

It started at last months training. so the guy cleaned it and tried it again, and it was still doiing it. it was splitting the cases from the neck to about .5 from the base. It is a .308

Might want to Check the headspace, it sounds farfetched but it's possible your lugs have been set back so much your headspace has gone excessive. 6000 is a good many rounds and if the majority of them were pretty warm, it could happen. Oh and have you tried different ammo?

Hand fit a loaded round into the chamber with the bolt removed.

Can you wiggle the case head with your fingers with the round fully chambered?

From what you've said so far I would lean to a combination of brass sized to the small end going into a chamber sized at the large end with brass cases that are too hard in the middle.
Easy to mess up when annealing brass as the head needs to be hard and the neck needs to be soft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand fit a loaded round into the chamber with the bolt removed.

From what you've said so far I would lean to a combination of brass sized to the small end going into a chamber sized at the large end with brass cases that are too hard in the middle.
Easy to mess up when annealing brass as the head needs to be hard and the neck needs to be soft.

</div></div>

PSSSST......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgj1119</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot factory loaded hornady 168gr. A-Max rnds. We all shhot the same lot number, and we have about 10,000 rnds on hand. No one else has had a problem with this ammo before. Also, the cases were splitting down the middle, no blown primers,or case head seperation. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand fit a loaded round into the chamber with the bolt removed.

</div></div>

PSSSST......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgj1119</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot factory loaded hornady 168gr. A-Max rnds. We all shhot the same lot number, and we have about 10,000 rnds on hand. No one else has had a problem with this ammo before. Also, the cases were splitting down the middle, no blown primers,or case head seperation. </div></div> </div></div>

Yes, I did read that part.
Do you work for Hornady loading their ammunition?
It is what it is and the ammunition/rifle combo are having problems and those problems have a solution.
Based on what he said I think my hypothesis is still valid.
More info would be helpful but I've been down this road so I thought that I would chime in.
Factories do F up their ammunition too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand fit a loaded round into the chamber with the bolt removed.

</div></div>

PSSSST......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgj1119</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot factory loaded hornady 168gr. A-Max rnds. We all shhot the same lot number, and we have about 10,000 rnds on hand. No one else has had a problem with this ammo before. Also, the cases were splitting down the middle, no blown primers,or case head seperation. </div></div> </div></div>

Yes, I did read that part.
Do you work for Hornady loading their ammunition?
It is what it is and the ammunition/rifle combo are having problems and those problems have a solution.
Based on what he said I think my hypothesis is still valid.
More info would be helpful but I've been down this road so I thought that I would chime in.
Factories do F up their ammunition too. </div></div>

understood... your post read like you were indicating that he was handloading and had undersized them or annealed incorrectly...