• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blue Corrosion

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
has anyone seen old ammo (10 years maybe) that had blue corrosion all over it? I had someone drop some off today in a case tuff box that looked like mice made a Motel 6 out of it. The ammo inside was corroded and covered with a teal-blue color. What's the deal with this?

Re: Blue Corrosion

That's kind of what I figured... Is the ammo trash?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's kind of what I figured... Is the ammo trash? </div></div>

Tumble it in walnut/corn and some polish for an hour and see how it cleans up.

Chris

it's just brass oxidization...it will clean up. Just means it wasn't prepped for storage.

If you're going to tumble it, be very careful and only do a few rounds at a time...there have been instances of detonation...a vibratory tumbler would be better than a rotary tumbler. I've done it before...10-20 rounds at a time and never an issue, it was a vibratory tumbler

If you're really worried you can just use brass polish cloth, brazzo and do it by hand.

you can soak it in a solution- If I recall correctly, Vinegar-Salt-Water. Just do some searching on removing tarnish from brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's just brass oxidization...it will clean up. Just means it wasn't prepped for storage.

If you're going to tumble it, be very careful and only do a few rounds at a time...there have been instances of detonation...a vibratory tumbler would be better than a rotary tumbler. I've done it before...10-20 rounds at a time and never an issue, it was a vibratory tumbler

If you're really worried you can just use brass polish cloth, brazzo and do it by hand.

you can soak it in a solution- If I recall correctly, Vinegar-Salt-Water. Just do some searching on removing tarnish from brass.</div></div>

reference one instance of detonation from tumbling loaded ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">easy to find, just do a little research. </div></div>

How do you suppose manufacturers get their loaded rounds so clean before going into the boxes?

They're not doing 10-20 at a time, either.

I've personally read of more detonations due to people tossing their loaded rounds into a bucket, or ammo can, than I've read people blowing up their tumblers, tumbling loaded ammo.

Also, why do you suggest 10-20 rounds only and not 30-40? Does something bad happen with a bit more ammo in the tumbler. Better odds with smaller batches? Quantify?

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">easy to find, just do a little research. </div></div>

No, not internet myths, but factual, with pictures, actual detonations of ammo in a tumbler (usually just a vibrating dish that everyone calls a tumbler today).

There's lots of "I know a guy who------" type posts out there but nothing that is backed up with fact and pictures.

As for the blue corrosion mentioned in the OP, rub some off with a piece of steel wool and see how deep it goes. Sometimes it can get pretty nasty and eat away a good portion of the case metal, leaving it more like lace than a solid piece of brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, why do you suggest 10-20 rounds only and not 30-40? Does something bad happen with a bit more ammo in the tumbler. Better odds with smaller batches? Quantify?

Chris

</div></div>Fact is that there's less "banging around" the more rounds there are.

Maybe there's a feeling that too many rounds in the same tumbler will achieve some kind of critical mass.