• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blueing stainless? I know I know!!!!

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Here is the deal. I have a chrome moly BAT action and it is something to behold. The deep dark rich almost black color is really appealing to me and i would like for my other stainless BAT action to look the same. My question or topic is, what can be done to turn a stainless action into a deep dark shiny black color? I know some guys are doing the carborising thing but that makes the action a black matte color. At least the action i saw that had been done was a matte finish. Any ideas? Thanks lee

Re: Blueing stainless? I know I know!!!!

In the olden days...when Remington came out with their first stainless barrels...they plated them with Iron, then blued them. Shouldn't be too much of a trip to find an electroplater who can do the action/barrel then have whomsoever you wish do the blueing. JMHO

Robar does "blackening" of stainless steel that looks VERY nice. I have seen it done on a Sig X5 pistol that was all stainless steel when it left the factory but the owner (a friend of mine) wanted a more "subdued" finish than the bright, shiny stainless. The "blackening" on his pistol left a very nice satin finish. It was dark "blackish-blue" (for lack of a better description) in color but had a very rich look to it. He has over 8k rounds through it now and it still looks nearly as good as the day he got it back from Robar.

See here for more info:

http://www.robarguns.com/

Good luck!!

Funny thing is, Alan, you'll be seeing an early R700 in 7mm Mag with a blued stainless barrel you'll be mnaking into a MK13.
2011-07-01_20-09-25_254.jpg

I did a stainless 1911 slide in ionbond and it came out a nice matte black finish. I will post photos when I get back in town.

I just got off the phone with my gunsmith. He blackens out flutes like a factory Sendero so I figured he be a good one to ask. He said it might work with a bead blasted, then acid etched finish but not with a shiny finish. He said bluing stainless is kind of a crap shoot. He's tried it before without much luck. He did say Falconcoat might have a shiny finish if you wanted it painted.

Hope this helps

Brownell's Oxynate 84 and DuLite's 3-0 salts are the main choices. They use similar methods as hot bluing chrome moly steel but are harder to use. The metal can't be as polished as chrome moly steel though. A 400 grit finish is about the limit for stainless steel. That is about equal to a factory bluing finish.

This guy offers stainless bluing: gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html

Lee,

I have had several gun parts run through the melonite (salt bath nitride) process by MMI TruTec. They came out well but all were of a less than mirror finish to start with. As a suggestion you might get a short section of stainless barrel steel (from a shot out barrel) and polish it like you want and have it melonite treated as a test sample. The cost would only be in the $20 range. Maybe a good investment.

I have been around several of the early Remington and Winchester stainless barrels that appeared to be blued. Both seemed to scratch easily and were very unsightly afterward.

Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you rattle can it in the color you like? Or does the stainless property of the steel make it difficult to paint or finish it?

Rich

Stainless steel can be blued: it takes special chemicals and a higher heating process to do it. Several people are now doing SS bluing. email me if you need to know more
smile.gif

Fellas
this action is a BAT and the tolorences are very tight. Whatever i choose to do has to be thinnnnnn!!!! Thanks lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jarhead_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caswell's Stainless Steel Blackener 370
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm</div></div>

I would not reccomend the caswells in this instance. I have used it for years on stainless gas cylinders on garands and M1A's but it is "tender". It leaves a matt finish but does not have a very high level of durability.

Just my 02 cents worth...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunjunkieM24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jarhead_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caswell's Stainless Steel Blackener 370
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm</div></div>

I would not reccomend the caswells in this instance. I have used it for years on stainless gas cylinders on garands and M1A's but it is "tender". It leaves a matt finish but does not have a very high level of durability.

Just my 02 cents worth... </div></div>

+1 on all of the above!!! The Caswell's stuff is NOT suitable for the application the OP needs/wants.