• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Blueprinting a new Remington 700 5R?

nauta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2012
CT
I'm just getting into long range shooting and have a Remington 700 5R in .308 on the way. I've ordered a Timney trigger and will bed it if I keep the factory stock but I'm wondering if I should consider having the action blueprinted. I've read a lot about how good these are out of the box. Has anyone had one blueprinted and seen a significant improvement in accuracy?

Re: Blueprinting a new Remington 700 5R?

Just shoot it. You'll never get the money back out of it that you put into it. If you decide later that you want a full custom, then sell it and use the money towards a custom build.

The 5R rifles are extremely good for a factory gun. You wont be dissapointed with its accuracy, usually less than .5 MOA. Once you get the gun and if it meets your requirements then dont need to blueprint it. Save your money. Your trigger choice is excellent. Dont worry about bedding the stock. Again if it meets accuracy requirements then again save your cash and spend it on ammo. Blueprinting and bedding could be approx 400 dollars. Thats a lot of money that may not help that much. Again if the gun is shooting well.

Heath

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/index_027.htm

The highlight is: "My recommendation is that if a rifle is shooting decently, not to attempt any truing until you decide to make a barrel change."

If you blueprint the action, then you'll lose that 5R milspec barrel you just spent all that extra money for in the new rifle.

Once the barrel is shot (which is a good long time with .308), you could put on a match barrel, bed the stock, and true the action and get comparable performance to a custom built gun. Take a look here when you get some time:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1824082&page=1

Rob01 told me the same thing when I got my 5R.

I would, however, consider skim bedding the stock if you upgrade the bottom metal to a DBM system in lieu of switching out your HS precision stock with a chassis system (Manners, Mcrees, AICS, etc.)

My two 5R's are off to Kampfeld Custom right now- getting tactical bolt knobs, side bolt release and barrel fluting. I had inquired on upgrading the recoil lug and he said that and anything else related to having to set-back the barrel should be held off on until it's time to put on a new barrel.

In other words, don't waste the money on setting back a factory barrel when a really nice blank are not really that expensive.

Of course I already knew this, but it didn't occur to me that a thicker recoil lug means having to do considerable work to the barrel. I know better but my brain wasn't working right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot it and let that be your answer. If it shoots, don't mess with it and don't let your mind screw you.
</div></div>

Best advise ive seen all day. Thank you.