• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bluetooth - Rangefinders/Kestrel

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
So, I'm been in the market for a RF but every time I get ready to buy a 2800 Leica I read somebody (lot's of actually) has bluetooth issues. So I started thinking of a Sig, which one I have no idea. But reading all these threads, apparently Sigs have BT issues too. Do ALL of these RF's have bluetooth issues?

Which rangefinder has the least troubling/frequent BT issue? Is the 2800 GTG or should I look into a Sig, and if so, which one?

Very disappointing BT seems to be hosed on range finding equipment. I just need a RF and either good Bino or Spotter and I'm done in the optics department for a while.

Thanks!!

Most current rangefinders seem to be using Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE/BLE) which has its own hinks - and can be the cause of a lot of frustration with dropped connections, etc. Not a lot the manufacturers can do other than getting back to standard Bluetooth model, not the low energy.

Short version of the difference is LE goes to sleep until a connection is requested. There's a delay in it waking back up and reconnecting, which is what causes the delays/connection issues with the LRF and another device.

All that said, my Nitro 1800 seems to work pretty well. You still have to wake it up and give it a second to connect back up to the Kestrel, but it works fairly seamlessly.

Reactions: seansmd
Most current rangefinders seem to be using Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE/BLE) which has its own hinks - and can be the cause of a lot of frustration with dropped connections, etc. Not a lot the manufacturers can do other than getting back to standard Bluetooth model, not the low energy.

Short version of the difference is LE goes to sleep until a connection is requested. There's a delay in it waking back up and reconnecting, which is what causes the delays/connection issues with the LRF and another device.

All that said, my Nitro 1800 seems to work pretty well. You still have to wake it up and give it a second to connect back up to the Kestrel, but it works fairly seamlessly.
Thanks for the technical reasoning. I didn't know that was the problem. So that would be why Leica has stated in needs to be within a certain distance of the Kestrel and phone; distance in inches, not feet. I hadn't considered the 1800 but may now I'll give it a gander.

I've never posted a review of my Sig BDX3000- it works just like it's supposed to. I see people using Leicas and Sigs at all the matches with no complaints. People get on the web to complain- hard to measure the number of happy users.

I've never posted a review of my Sig BDX3000- it works just like it's supposed to. I see people using Leicas and Sigs at all the matches with no complaints. People get on the web to complain- hard to measure the number of happy users.
Good point, most of us (I'm also guilty) complain usually rather than giving complements for good service.

Happy users aren’t nearly as vocal as sad pandas.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I've had zero BT connectivity problems with a Sig 3000. If you go that route you already have the binos you mentioned. All for a reasonable price of $999 if you catch them on sale.

Agree with the above. I've had no problems with bluetooth connection between the kestrel and Sig3000; they seem stable and when one goes off the re-pairing is pretty quick. My only difficulty has been keeping the display in the kilos on longer than 15 seconds in the HUD.
Be sure to call Scott @LibertyOptics

Bluetooth is fundamentally just a worthless piece of shit. It is not reliable for any application. That’s why Apple added a proprietary layer for the AirPods (and why they actually do work). Add to that the fact that the firearms market is relatively small and I’m not surprised there are issues with these things.

I have a detailed write-up on here if the leica2800.com behaviour.

It does not have a problem with bluetooth, in my write up I can repeatedly keep it connected for hours without keeping it next to the kestrel.

The leica has FW problems with how it deals with Bluetooth LE and how it enters and exits sleep mode.

I am very happy with my Leica.

Folks have to also take into account beam divergence, what you will be ranging and glassing through. Ranging through loops, small targets with no nearby reference, and what glass quality for your bino needs will dictate some of the decision process.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMammoth
Sig3000 owner, I have a TON of use on mine and I am very happy with them as far as software goes. I think a lot of times you only hear the negatives.

Reactions: seansmd