• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

body armor in gun shop?

spoon063

Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
quanticoish
just wanted to gather some opinions... if you worked in a high traffic gun shop, would you wear a concealed vest while you were on the clock along with carrying?

Re: body armor in gun shop?

I've never heard of a gun shop with the employees all openly carrying getting held up. I'd say you're pretty safe. Working at the corner 7-11 at 3am is a different story though....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never heard of a gun shop with the employees all openly carrying getting held up. I'd say you're pretty safe. Working at the corner 7-11 at 3am is a different story though.... </div></div>
+1 what he said or White Castle graveyard shift in Chicago although those guys are in a bullet proof vault...

Definitely. Wear it. You never know. Why take the chance? Put the odds in your favor.

My thoughts would be to stay on the safe side and wear one, however, at a distance of less than 8ft, the perpetrator will be aiming at your skull and not your chest.

Just my $.02 but you'll just be wasting your money. My experience is that unless you need it (work in harms way) you won't wear it anyway..........it's really not that comfortable. As mentioned, what is the risk of battle in a gunshop anyway, burglary sure but robbery?

It's like any other piece of safety equipment. If you own it, wear it. If you don't, why not?

I wanted to keep the question basic but I don't just mean in the event some nutball wants to come in an hold up the place. Realistically if someone were to try and rob a gun store, they're not going to come in and just point it at someone and make demands, they're probably going to come in and open fire. But besides that aspect of it, in case of accidental discharge due to being around a high concentration of randoms that are carrying. It just seems that open carrying is only half the safety. I did recently get a job at an established shop local to me, and 2 of the 5 guys wear them everyday, which made me think... open carrying is really only half the safety at that point.

The guys at my range/gunshop only wear theirs when law enforcement is on the range as they seldom hit the target and have the worst range habits.Even the blind guy shoots better but his dog is a great spotter.
Scot

I would also suggest that folks who want to rob a gun store probably aren't too tightly wrapped to begin with.

They probably prefer the Gangsta Grip and would only have a 15% hit probablility given a chosen wall...

You betcherbutt I'd want body armor. Danged near anything could be possible given such a scenario.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys at my range/gunshop only wear theirs when law enforcement is on the range as they seldom hit the target and have the worst range habits.Even the blind guy shoots better but his dog is a great spotter.
Scot </div></div>

haha thats great.

When I think of this kinda thing, it makes me think that maybe I'm being somewhat paranoid since it's a 50% standard. From the history I know of at the shop is that they were robbed once at night, and that same guy robbed another shop a couple miles down the road. There was aparently once incident where someone tried taking a gun from someone and running?(I don't know the specifics on this story). The city that the shop is in just had 2 shootings last week. Again, I wanted to keep this simple, but these are the things that I'm personally taking into account.

Sorry, didn't interpet your OP relative to AD (or ND, whatever)risk. If you have a valid concern then it might be worth it to you. I guess I'd be asking how many events like that has the gunshop had..........have they ever had one, last 5 years, last year etc? If it has never happened then probably not. If it has/does then maybe you'd have a greater piece of mind with it. Most people do not find body armor comfortable to wear (even soft armor), and unless their job requires it, stop suiting up after the novelty wears off.

What shop are we talking about here?

I did when I worked at a shop my thoughts were you have two of the three things that make the world go round
1. money (lots of cash)
2. Guns (self explanatory)
3. drugs (none but if you got 2 you can get 3)
Also in my opinion a 10 $ an hr job wasnt worth dyin over

Wear it. Think about it, you are working in an environment where John Q. Public walks in the door with a gun several times a day. Worse yet, most of the guns are "unloaded". Robbery is possible and has happened, but is much less likely than a negligent discharge by a member of the public or even a coworker.

I have worn a vest before when going to bid a job in a gang-infested part of St. Louis. My partner at the time laughed at me, until we parked in front of the house and I pointed out the bullet hole in a cactus leaf in the planter next to the truck. He quit laughing after that. Bottom line, if YOU think you MIGHT need it, wear it. What others think is of little consequence when it is your life you stand to lose.

Guns&Ammo Warehouse- And I don't own a vest yet, that's why the decision isn't quite as simple as just putting it on

Why stop at a concelable vest? Why not go with "Dragon armor" that can stop an AK round and kevlar helmet. You might as well go ahead and start installing steel in the doors of your car for the ride to work.

You are way overthinking this my man. Your situational awareness will save your ass more than that heavy ass piece of fabric. Your brain and your eyes are your best weapon. If you are worried about a Negligent discharge (there are no accidents when it comes to handling a firearm) you need to be anal about your business practices. Always check those chambers and be safe.

once again....solid advice from the grey beards here at the hide....

learn it, love it , live it

now where did i put my padded jock..............

Unless you own the shop maybe its time to look for another line of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are worried about a Negligent discharge (there are no accidents when it comes to handling a firearm) you need to be anal about your business practices. Always check those chambers and be safe. </div></div>

There may be no accidents when it comes to the HANDLING of firearms, but there are certainly accidents when it comes to firearms and machines. Spend enough time around guns and crazy things happen. Spend enough time around cheap and/or abused weapons (the same guns that people bring to a gun shop firing range), and crazy things will happen. I have seen "accidental" discharges on a hot firing line. The trigger assembly on an M4 shit the bed. His hands were both on his M9 while shooting, and it was recorded (I'll try to hunt down the old video).

To the OP, wear the vest if you feel the need. I know a few range safety officers that wear them because they too have seen weird shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paraiso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There may be no accidents when it comes to the HANDLING of firearms, but there are certainly accidents when it comes to firearms and machines. Spend enough time around guns and crazy things happen.To the OP, wear the vest if you feel the need. I know a few range safety officers that wear them because they too have seen weird shit. </div></div>

Although I agree weird shit happens around guns in general, the OP should be in an environment with no loaded firearms, and should have the intentions of making sure that remains the case each and every time he touches a firearm in his business. This of coarse excludes CCW holders which those weapons should stay in the holster and out of view. Be ANAL about your personal safety, it's worth it.

Look, All you have to do is let all the other employees OPEN Carry and you conceal. If someone comes in blasting the people that obviously have a gun on them will be the first to get shot and you can run and hide somewhere! LOL!!! Just a thought!

It's a personal decision. If it's going to keep you from sleeping at night, wear it. Personally unless it was a pretty high paying job if I felt I had to wear a vest in my place of work (aside for LEO etc.) I'd be finding another job.

First of all usually your average criminal idiots are not knocking over gun stores. They know that ripping off a gun store of multiple guns creates a LOT of federal heat. Second if you eliminate the super idiots, that leaves criminals that have some idea what's going on. Those guys are not going to walk into a gun shop shooting at 2pm. They will find the resources to break in after hours discretely. I'm sure it's happened but every gun shop break in I've heard about or seen on the news was after hours.

Mine is concealed til I unlock the shop door, then I stick my shirt behind the holster. I also leave the safe door open a bit just incase I need to get behind some moderate cover, and I know full well it won't stop everything, but it might help. I keep my eyes and ears open and hope for no nutbags coming in.

No you dont need a vest in that store. And thats a nice store in a very nice neighborhood so please dont be a tightly wrapped tactical guncounter douchbag.

I never felt the need when I worked at a shop. If I was an RO at a range or closing by myself then I might consider it. Depends on the location of the shop too. I wear body armor on a daily basis and its not comfortable. If the shop is at risk enough that I felt body armor was necessary 24/7 I would find a new job.

If I did wear one, it would most definately be concealed. But to say accidents don't happen when it comes to firearms is a pretty misrepresented bold statement IMO, maybe there are no excuses when it comes to accidents. Like I said, it's not realistic that someone will walk in at noon to hold the place up. As stated above, you have NO clue what people are bringing in. It's not from mistakes on me handing over counter guns, it's the cc'ers walking in. I simply asked if you would personally wear one being in that position. I didn't ask what would best prepare me to look like the town or for the zombie apocolypse. I really don't understand the need for flaming in this thread whatsoever. There are clearly people in this thread who would or do wear them, so at this point I don't think I'm being "overly" paranoid about it. Obviously my situational awareness is at a high standard or I wouldn't even be considering wearing one and would believe the world is a perfect place. I do not have any history with any of the guys in the shop, or their experience. What I really don't get is how you can trust the general gun-owning population to follow code 100% of the time while your personal safety is at stake. I was at the Dulles show all weekend, I can't tell you how many people made it through the show with either guns that weren't zipped and/or fully loaded. There were signs EVERYWHERE, along with people designated to check, yet it didn't seem to matter a whole lot. And I can definately say from being there with that many people, yes there was a few I met that I can't believed owned guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spoon063</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But to say accidents don't happen when it comes to firearms is a pretty misrepresented bold statement </div></div>

"Accidents" implies that no one is to blame. Therefore it's more commonly known as a negligent discharge.

I can understand why an RO could wear body armor due to being around weapons that are being shot and funny things do happen. Anyone in here ever been splattered by lead from shooting steel too close knows what that is about.

You can't stop the entire population around from being idiots. All you can do is use safe practices yourself and educate the ones around you. The local Cabela's in my area has a worker at the door at all hours. When you bring a gun in they take it to a bullet trap and confirm an empty chamber. Great way of ensuring everyone's safety at the store. As I stated earlier, a cc'er should NEVER have their weapon out.

The common terminology with training in my profession is everyone is a safety officer. If you see an unsafe act SPEAK UP. Don't wait until the end of the day and bitch about how billy bob ran through the store with his double barrel loaded. You and your fellow employees need to be on the same page about safety.

This thread isn't about "flaming". Training and being consistent about how you treat firearms will keep you safe. I personally wish for nothing more than your safety and the people around you.

Another point I'd like to hit is that talking with your manager and having everyone trained and on the same page about your companies policies and safety procedures will get you alot farther than wearing body armor. Prevention should be your company's #1 priority.

I wouldn't.

Do you have a crash cage and racing harness in your car?

You're FAR more likely to die in a car accident on the way to/from work than you are to be shot at work, even in a gun shop.

There is a line between being prepared and being paranoid. Wearing a vest at work is probably on the wrong side of that line.

it does rub rather odd that someone who is as aware as you claim to be doesnt proofread what you type and think on it some.

On the one hand you stoke every anti's fear of just how poorly trained the average gun jockey is. You dont fear criminals- you fear honest citizens for no other reason than they are carrying a weapon.

Second is the matter of a few agreeing with you. This is a very diverse group, I have no doubt some will agree with whatever is said.

Odd you are so savvy yet dont know the workers in the shop you wish to gain employment. I'd think if you had any real experience you would have a very good idea about the guys and gals working there. I do about the local stores in my AO.

Oh, about a concealable vest, best to say not highly visible. Most guys with a high situational awareness can spot a vest under most clothes unless you are wearing a parka. I havent worn every brand made but the few I have are anything but comfortable. Best I can say is you get used to it, like JBE or that ALICE beyotch.

But wear the vest if it makes you happy... I carry a strobe, microflares and a whistle every time I go to the restroom in Golden Corral because you just never know.

Anything can happen at any time. I investigate fatal and serious injury vehicle crashes. . . that's pretty much the epitome of "wrong place, wrong time."

Working the counter of the store, I'd just go with open carry. If we could account for all scenarios, this forum wouldn't even exist because we'd already know everything. Hopefully any employees can just be vigilant about the customers coming in. Have a plan for when "such" happens and then plan 1.2 and maybe even plan 1.3. I like the old saying about flashlights for working nightshift patrol, "two is one, one is none." Plans also qualify for that!

If the gunstore also had a shooting range, I'd wear one while instructing students. It's absolutely AMAZING the condition of the firearms people will bring into a store! loaded in a purse, backpack. Hell, open with a loaded mag and chamber!! I would ask a customer where is the gun they want to show, then cycle the action myself so I can check for clear.

My $.02. Have fun working! I always found that working at a gunstore doesn't pay me, I pay the store to show up!
laugh.gif

-G45

Waste of effort, and <span style="font-style: italic">most</span> likely completely unnecessary.

On the other hand, shit happens.

The store I used to work for allowed open carry, and I'd never be found at work without a 5" 1911. We had a group of five individuals of gangsta dress walk in right before closing one night; three of them were carrying cased pistol-gripped shotguns. They stood around for a few minutes pretending to shop until another employee walked up and took up a position behind them. At that, they went outside and loitered in the parking lot for half an hour, but all of the employees were openly armed and nothing happened.

A week after that incident, another gun store in a nearby city was robbed by a group of five individuals matching the description (the surveillance video of the shootout was posted online). That store had fewer employees, who weren't openly carrying. Result was no harm to the employees or customers, and the arrests of the criminals, but that one hit a bit close to home...and a vest wouldn't have been much protection against several attackers at close range armed with shotguns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't.

Do you have a crash cage and racing harness in your car?
</div></div>
Funny you ask...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it does rub rather odd that someone who is as aware as you claim to be doesnt proofread what you type and think on it some.

On the one hand you stoke every anti's fear of just how poorly trained the average gun jockey is. You dont fear criminals- you fear honest citizens for no other reason than they are carrying a weapon.

Second is the matter of a few agreeing with you. This is a very diverse group, I have no doubt some will agree with whatever is said.

Odd you are so savvy yet dont know the workers in the shop you wish to gain employment. I'd think if you had any real experience you would have a very good idea about the guys and gals working there. I do about the local stores in my AO.

Oh, about a concealable vest, best to say not highly visible. Most guys with a high situational awareness can spot a vest under most clothes unless you are wearing a parka. I havent worn every brand made but the few I have are anything but comfortable. Best I can say is you get used to it, like JBE or that ALICE beyotch.

But wear the vest if it makes you happy... I carry a strobe, microflares and a whistle every time I go to the restroom in Golden Corral because you just never know. </div></div>

Troll much? As nicely as I can put it, please don't twist my text and pour salt on it. I simply stated that I personally believe there is a higher chance of an AD over being robbed. As far being "so savy", I didn't claim to be. I don't have a history with any of the employees due to being new to the area. I feel like I've been pretty forward without stepping on toes here. My apologies if I've lead on otherwise. I really do appreciate everyone's opinions and input regardless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another point I'd like to hit is that talking with your manager and having everyone trained and on the same page about your companies policies and safety procedures will get you alot farther than wearing body armor. Prevention should be your company's #1 priority. </div></div>
QFT

Anyway, I guess maybe I should've made this thread less hypothetical and titled it "how many of you work at a gun shop and wear body armor?"

This Economy breeds Desperation

Suicide with Rental Guns is getting More and more common, Next logical step is to bring a few rounds into Gun Shop.... Who knows their intentions when they start loading the mag, or what it will lead to attempting to stop them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Economy breeds Desperation

Suicide with Rental Guns is getting More and more common, Next logical step is to bring a few rounds into Gun Shop.... Who knows their intentions when they start loading the mag, or what it will lead to attempting to stop them.

</div></div>

How commmon of an occurance is that? (thats a serious question, per year?) I dont recall any stats off the top of my head. That doesnt surprise me tho. Theres one public range local to me where one isnt even required to show a valid Pistol permit or be accompanied by a permit holder to rent Pistols for a range session.

As for the OP Apparently Im missing something here. If the guy wants to wear a low profile vest of some sort then so what. If he doesnt he doesnt. Whats the big Deal?? throwing on a loaded out plate carrier would be a bit overkill but Im not seeing an issue here for a Civilian.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Economy breeds Desperation

</div></div>

How commmon of an occurance is that? (thats a serious question, per year?) I dont recall any stats off the top of my head. That doesnt surprise me tho. Theres one public range local to me where one isnt even required to show a valid Pistol permit or be accompanied by a permit holder to rent Pistols for a range session.

As for the OP Apparently Im missing something here. If the guy wants to wear a low profile vest of some sort then so what. If he doesnt he doesnt. Whats the big Deal?? throwing on a loaded out plate carrier would be a bit overkill but Im not seeing an issue here for a Civilian. </div></div>

You have to have a permit in NY? Reason 6,754,354 to NOT even THINK on moving to NY.

The shop where I hang out and help out at on a rare occassion, is a really busy shop that specializes in all things black rifle ish etc. Its a very busy store. It is only open carry there. I have never seen anyone wearing body armor there.

I do remember when a string of heavily armed robberies was occurring in the area, that some of the employees had a 30 rd AR mag on their belts so they could pull a rifle off the wall and use.

I remember in Pleasantville NJ a big gunshop was held up and one employee killed for sure, perhaps two. Personal preference I suppose. Consider the area/neighboorhood.

I've seen some crazy crap happen in one night at one of the local gun shops here in Hoover. A young man and his mother came to the door, the young man saw the sign of no loaded weapons beyond this point and proceeded to draw his concealed pistol to clear the weapon AT the DOOR! The on duty Hoover cop who was in the store, the owner, an an clerk had weapons at the ready to smoke this idiot. This happen not days after one of our officers in Pelham had been killed in a "routine" traffic stop by a guys who brother was a cop in a different city. Same night, not 20 minutes later a guy ask the clerk for a wheel gun an proceeds to pull out a speed loader with bullets in it an proceeds to try an load the pistol to "check if it fit". Two morons in one night, I thought that Sargent was going to clean the gene pool of these two. LOL! Some folk TRULY need a "Here's your Sign" hung on them.

I used to shoot occasionally with the son of a gun shop owner in the Cleveland OH area. He told me his dad had an attempted robbery about 35 years ago, before there were quite as many nut jobs as we now have. Long and, as told, occasionally humorous story short, dad took a pistol round in the side and then proceeded to use a short Browning 20 gauge to chest shoot the woman and two men. One of the three perps lived. Dad's gunshot wound to the side healed. I don't recall the angle. A vest may or may not have helped.

If available, I'd wear it. I'm over cautious.

Depends.

At the shops I frequent, I don't think I would wear body armor if I worked there.

The employees all open carry. There have been thefts, but I don't recall any of our gunshops ever being robbed.

Now what I would consider is that ND's do occur. A vest may prevent an accidental death.

Laughing-
Not trolling, just marvelling at the 'chance' of ND would conjure up fears and then 'need' for a vest.

There is a chance of being hit by clear sky lightening so dont go outside.

There is a chance the plane you fly in could crash so stick to buses, oh wait I've seen recent fatal accidents involving buses.

I remember reading that at the start of WWI the defenders of some belgian forts surrendered after a daylong bombardment. The shocked defenders called the bombardment inhumane.

The soldiers in the trenches a scant 18 months later would have loved to be in those concrete forts under that much lower level of artillery fire.

I guess what I am saying is what seem like prudent safety measures to some look a tad silly to others.

But suit yourself, I maynot be a good example, I'll admit I have run with scissors
crazy.gif

This shop is close to where im at now .
If I recall correctly these guys were after the guns .
Its not in a bad part of town but this was one of the reasons I wore a vest .
September 21, 1998|By Stephanie Banchero, Tribune Staff Writer.Four men were charged Sunday night with murder in the killing of a father and son during a robbery at their popular gun shop in south suburban Glenwood.

Charged were Kendall Merriweather, 18, of 7202 S. Lowe Ave.; his brother Michael Merriweather, 21, of 206 W. 154th St., Harvey; Kenneth Bryant, 20, of 215 W. 154th St., Harvey; and Rashe Poplar, 17, of 1013 E. 194th St., Glenwood, according to Patti Simone, a spokeswoman in the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Each faces two counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder and two counts of armed robbery, Simone said.

And they were open carried as well I believe .

OP we're talking about a decent side of Manassas, not Manassas park! I've bought a couple handguns from G&A warehouse when I lived up that way, and if I remember correctly I got Starbucks and Chipotle not too far down the road, not waffle house and 711 coffee. On a serious note folks, its a nice shop, always with new Nighthawks and Wilsons under the counter.