• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Body size a live round

gcoulsey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Lincolnshire England UK
Just checking before I make a bang..

Brass on 10th firing, neck and shoulder bumped only, but bolt won't close, and I got a round stuck in the chamber.

Tapped it out with cleaning rod ok, checked measurements and shoulders are bumped correctly, .003" as per usual, seating depth .010" jump as usual..

So I'm guessing it's tight at the web of the case (I don't have a drop in case guage.. Everything else tho..)

never had the problem before myself, but maybe 10 firings has taken it's toll..?

Anyway, I'm going to try and run them thru the body die, I just want some confirmation that I can actually do this with a live round ok??

(not worried about pressure when firing, I'm not near max on this load, and it's my proven ocw load)

thanks,
giles
smile.gif

Re: Body size a live round

I've had in the past your same problem, I've put my live round in a body die to solve the problem..... no problem.... I'm still there..

regards

Body size an <span style="font-style: italic">empty</span> case, comparison mic' it and the loaded round. If the web diameters are significantly smaller for the resized round, that's probably where your chambering obstruction is.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Body size an <span style="font-style: italic">empty</span> case, comparison mic' it and the loaded round. If the web diameters are significantly smaller for the resized round, that's probably where your chambering obstruction is.

Greg</div></div>

yep, since posting, i did all the comparison checks with virgin brass/fired/fired sized etc etc
and the webs are .002" larger on the problem rounds.

so i will go ahead and run them thru the body die.

im curious though.. is this just a result of case fatigue? brass has hardened at the web over x10 firings and im going to have to body size these cases routinely now?

Success!

Tried x20, and just managed to get out and test fire them @200yrd
and they are perfect, so I will finish running the rest of the batch thru the die, and probably do so each firing now for the rest of the case life, to keep things consistant.

Thanks chaps!
laugh.gif

Giles.