• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bolt Action 50 BMG Repeater - Custom or Stock

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
This thread is strictly educational. I have a buddy at work who wants to buy either a Sig 50 or the McMillan Tac-50. This got me wondering, can you make a custom 50 BMG? What stock, action, etc. do you use.

If I was going to build or buy one I would want it setup in a normal layout. Mag fed, comfortable stock, etc. I am not a fan of the bullpup designs.

Do people build custom 50s?

I have a Barrett M99 but if I had to do it over again I would have bought the TAC -50 , I really can't see anything someone would want to improve on the TAC-50 unless they are looking for just an ultra heavy bench rest 50 BMG. As far as actions and having one built , again I would choose a McMillan action .

Phoenix Custom Rifles can build you a 50 similar to the TAC-50 for a bunch less than McMillan and they guarantee they'll shoot better.

I have thought over this subject as well. Ultimately I've decided that the .50 cal game is too expensive for me to shoot regularly, and I need to practice within 1000 a LOT more before I should consider pushing the limits of the .50.

With that in mind there are two reasons to own a .50. API/APIT/Tracer/concussion fireworks for shits and gigs, and real ELR shooting. There may be some tinfoil guys out there that want a vehicle stopper for EOTWAWKI or whatever but I'm not going to delve into that. You're not going to carry that mother any further than you have to. You're not going to shoot it rapidly. So make it a stiff, heavy single shot. My vote was also for the Mcmillan action. Longest, heaviest barrel you can get from whichever manufacturer you want (30" minimum), and an AR50 brake.

I see no reason to have a magazine, nor to try and cut weight, because you'll never EVER want to hike the damn thing or shoot it rapidly. Just my thoughts.

Not a repeater but I think the AR50 is basically the normal guys .50. Accurate and safe without breaking the bank. Loading one at a time is not a bad thing in a 50.

Ya I am not going to buy one anytime soon. Just a thought I had a figured I would throw it up.

I would go with the Phoenix Custom after looking on the website. McMillan action and mag fed.

Yes you can. Bat machine makes a single feed action and Bartlein has 18lb 30" blanks. Reamers and gauges from PT&G. Hardest part is finding a lathe that has a spindle bore large enough to accommodate a truck axle!

As Ledzep said, there is a lot of work and learning that I personally believe should be done with the lower calibers before graduating to a 50BMG. I bought an EDM M96 Windrunner early on and love it for the BOOM and wow factor. I can reload relatively cheaply (1-1.5moa bulk APIs @ ~1.25-1.50/shot) but it is a novelty gun right now as it is nowhere near as comfortable (or cheap) to shoot as my DTA. The concussion wears on you and to really see the ballistic advantage of the 50BMG over 338LM, 300WM, and 7mm heavies, you're going to be looking at either the 750gr AMAX or solids. Those are pricey bullets and will put your reloads in the 3-4-5 bucks a shot range!

I won't be selling my Windrunner anytime soon as it is a fantastic rifle and just fun as hell. If your buddy is dead-set on getting a 50BMG, give EDM a look. Excellent accuracy, company, and quality. Plus I believe there are a couple in the PX section for great deals.

50bmg rifles and people who shoot 50bmgs are bad, and you should stay away from them.
The rifles are inaccurate and expensive to load and build too.
Stick with the puny calibers and you'll be a lot happier.
All pure sarcasm, cause Once you shoot a nicely built 50bmg, shooting the puny caliber rifles will seem mundane at best.

I agree with the earlier poster and your sentiments that the bull pup design isn't very good for a 50BMG. I had a M99 a little while ago, but between the cost of reloading it, the accuracy it was capable of (not that great), and the number of places that I could really stretch it's legs (not many), I decided to sell it and get something in the 338 family. If ever I was to get another one, I think I would build it on the Bat action as having handled one, they are very impressive and I would think very accurate as well. I also can't imagine why you would need a repeater 50. If you need a repeater 50, what would be better and cheaper is a 12ga shotgun of the pump variety.

This thread is strictly educational. I have a buddy at work who wants to buy either a Sig 50 or the McMillan Tac-50. This got me wondering, can you make a custom 50 BMG? What stock, action, etc. do you use.

If I was going to build or buy one I would want it setup in a normal layout. Mag fed, comfortable stock, etc. I am not a fan of the bullpup designs.

Do people build custom 50s?

There are quite a few custom manufacturers of the 50 BMG. Its a hornets nest trying to determine quality. A good source of suppliers and info is the FCSA (fifty caliber shooters association). I noticed the mention of the AR-50 and know that rifle took a first place last year in a 1000 yard event. My personal choice was to have a custom built BMG by Spider Firearms of St Cloud Florida. Davids precision rifles have taken many first place trophies in national matches.