• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing bolt action needs tig welder

7mmVertigo

Private
Minuteman
located in az am looking for a qualified tig welder to weld my bolt handle back in place in my old school marlin 22lr. bolt looks like it was threaded originally and broke then soldered. took it down to local gunsmith and they resoldered it bit lasted 2 shots. i was pissed. i just want to find someone to weld it in place. replacement bolts are inpossible to find. does any one know someone who has a tig or can use one to fix my family herloom so i can pass it on to my son?

Try Phoenix Custom Rifles. I have no idea if he has a TIG or not. Or try the guys in my sig line. I know they can TIG.

Last edited:
Ask around race car people. They TIG a lot of things and are used to working on smaller lighter parts.

If you were close, I would offer to do it.

I can more than likely do it. I TIG all the bolts on the M700's we blueprint.

I have a guy showing up tomorrow morning at 0600 for a little welding side job in fact. He needs a few tabs stitched onto the frame of his new Pro Stock Drag Bike.

I've not done a Marlin before, but I can lay an itty bitty bead pretty well with my Lincoln.

Just know this:

There's no certainties in this. IF the bolt handle/body has ONLY been soldered and NOBODY prior has taken a TIG/MIG/STICK torch to this thing then it should go well.

IF the bolt has had an electric torch put to it and the surfaces weren't properly prepared then I'm afraid it's likely junk. They (torch) get so hot that any residual solder instantly contaminates the weld and it destroys the usable material. It basically turns the steel into garbage pot metal. ALL/ANY trace of solder MUST be removed prior to TIG welding it. Otherwise it'll just break again and it'll be ruined.

FWIW, not too long ago I worked closely with a guy who welded up reproduction vintage H/D motorcycle frames. Were talking 09's to 15's. The original frames were soldered between the tubes/castings. When original bikes would come in with cracks it was always a challenge/crapshoot as to whether some hamburger went after it in a previous life with an electric torch. If they did we had a WHOLE LOT of work to do to save it. It could easily result in a complete tear down and replacement of the casting/tube where they attached.

These are bikes valued at over a 1/2 million dollars. You only get one shot at it. "Competition Distributing" in Sturgis, SD. It's where I got my business started while waiting on my new building.

Good luck, be happy to help.

Chad

Last edited:
Please allow me to plug Long Rifles. Chad is a miracle worker. They can achieve the impossible and make it look it look easy. I would/have trust them with a family heirloom with 100% confidence.