• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action VS AR receiver investment question?

fullretard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2012
DFW
Surgeon Actions as an investment?

How far have bolt action rifles developed in the past 10 years?
Surgeon Rifles has been around since 2001, and as far as I can tell they are THE name in precision machined actions.

I had a crazy thought of buying some Surgeon 591/SS and putting them in the safe as an investment.

The website has them for $1295.00, and I don't think that materials and labor will be getting cheaper any time soon.

Should they hold their value over say 10 or 20 years?
Does anyone have a 10 year old action, and what are your thoughts?
What did these actions cost 10 years ago?

I probably should also buy the bottom metal at $326.00.
I would be in for $1621.00 plust tax and transfer fee per setup. Lets call it 1700 dollars.

Good long term investment?

I was also thinking of buying half a dozen AR15 and AR10 stripped lower receivers to throw in the safe.

I am in my mid 30's, so this is a long term thought process? Will I be able to buy this stuff in 30 years (10yr assault weapons ban
frown.gif
).

So about 3 grand on AR receivers or 4 on two high end future builds?

More a topic of discussion than anything else.

I am paranoid, high, or just full retard?

Re: Bolt action VS AR receiver investment question?

Barring some new ban similar to the NFA and GCA that would prevent new manufacture or sales of the items you put away, firearms are a poor investment.

I doubt it would work. Big downsides are
1) They can always make more.
2) New developments can make them yesterdays great action, and they would have no collector value. The price of custom actions has actually gone down over the last 10 years it appears to me. Much competition, little innovation.
I would consider investing in land or good stocks.

there are much better firearms to invest into than actions.

I know I wish I'd have bought all the SKS's at the Army Store for $59 as well as when Roses sold them, and I can remember walking by the AK47's years ago for $150 at my local FFL. SKS's are bringing $300+ and AK's are over $4-$500. I def wouldn't put $ toward custom rigs, as one online store sales used BR rigs for waaay less than the Op. paid to build them. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get 10 or 12 Varmint ADL's from Dicks for less than $400 each.

unless you come by them extremely cheap, id pass. they will continue to make them, and there will always be the hot new thing that people want vs the 'old' one.

Surgeon actions, hell no. Not even close.

AR-10 receivers, absolutely not, a few companies are starting to make cheaper alternatives to the $400 DPMS ones and the ridiculously priced "customs".

AR15 receivers, yes, but only short term. 10 or 30 years? Hell no. Buy the cheapest AR15 receivers at $60-70 a pop and turn them around at/right after election time.

Easy double your money proposition.

But if you want to seriously invest, invest in ammo. Some surplus ammo does become worth 10x what you paid for it when the importers dry up.

Even basic calibers will double or more at election time.