• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt coating

razorback308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Bossier City, LA
What is everyone coating their bolts with?. I am going to have my gun dipped but not sure if it is a good idea to have the bolt dipped. I am concerned that the coating would be too thick and would not fit in the action or would rub off after use. Maybe duracoat or cerakote would be better on the bolt? What do you think?

Re: Bolt coating

Check out Ionbonding....I learned about it from Todd at Phantom Finishings....looks to be about the best thing you can do to your bolt to protect it.

I was thinking the same thing ... but decided to skip the dipping as I learned about the process. I went with cerakote for the rifle and scope as it is much more durable and less thick. For the bolt I went with Ionbond due to its durability.

Todd is doing all the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with cerakote for the rifle and scope as it is much more durable and less thick.</div></div>

More durable and less thick than what? Duracoat and Cerakote are pretty thick. Some of the more expensive polymer coatings like Birdsong Black T, Bearcoat, and Robar Roguard are thinner and at least as durable as Duracoat or Cerakote.

Here is a good summary of coatings:
http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Static/Finishes.htm

I should note that this is by a pistolsmith. Thickness is a little more important with pistols than rifles because of all of the tiny parts that require coating. Still, it is good information for anyone shopping for coatings.

For starters Cerakote is a lot thinner than duracoat and superior in many areas.
With any kind of spray on finish the thickness is dependent upon the sprayer's abilities. Ionbond is a great finish. Here is a link that gives a conversion of microns to inches. Ionbond being 3 microns equates to 0.000118".
http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/microns-to-inches.htm
Cerakote when properly applied is approximately .001" in thickness and can be less than that.
Ionbond is great for bolts due to the very thin amount of additional material that is applied, and is great for maintaining lug tolerances due to the hardness.
As for applying cerakote to pistols, yes there are some 1911 manufacturers that have too tight of tolerances to allow for cerakote. For example with a Les Baer the slide rails, bushing, and barrel can not be coated, however a Kimber everything can be coated. One of the big key's when choosing a finish is also picking the finisher.

I had my action cerakoted and my bolt ionbond. I wanted to make sure the bolt wasn't to tight in the action on my M2008, which is known for it's tight tolerance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For starters Cerakote is a lot thinner than duracoat and superior in many areas.
With any kind of spray on finish the thickness is dependent upon the sprayer's abilities. Ionbond is a great finish. Here is a link that gives a conversion of microns to inches. Ionbond being 3 microns equates to 0.000118".
Cerakote when properly applied is approximately .0001" in thickness and can be less than that.
</div></div>

Do you mean .001"? Because everywhere else, that seems to be what other people are saying about cerakote???

http://www.larsontactical.com/id23.html
http://www.redcreektactical.com/cerakotefirearmscoating.html
http://www.amelonfirearms.com/Coating_Information.html

There is nothing wrong at all with cerakote. They have a much wider variety of colors vs. Birdsong (3 or 4 colors now?), NP3 (one color: silver), IonBond DLC (any color you want as long as it is gray/black). Cerakote is certainly better than bare steel.

The advantage of Birdsong is the high lubricity (I have it on my Tac Ops and you are better off not greasing the bolt) as well as its high saltwater corrosion resistance (500 - 1500 hours).

Ionbond has lower corrosion resistance, but plenty for most situations (if I lived in a coastal area, I would probably prefer Birdsong for this reason). It is very very thin. It is also the toughest around. It has a lower lubricity and I have heard about it rubbing on non-ionbond finishes because it is so tough. That may just be unsubstantiated Internet rumors, who knows?

From a cost perspective, cerakote is much cheaper than Ionbond. It is also available through a wide number of dealers... and not all of them know what they are doing.

Birdsong does all coating themselves, which is probably why the coating has such a reputation. If you want Ionbond, Springer Precision is the only one I have heard of that coats weapons. For cerakote, it is not difficult to find a vendor and the turnaround time will likely be much quicker than IonBond or Birdsong.

If I were doing it, I would probably do Birdsong for a bolt because of the lubricity. For a semi or a pistol, I would go Ionbond for the durability as long as I wanted it black. NP3 also looks good on a pistol, but is a little glossy compared to Ionbond, which is flatter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with cerakote for the rifle and scope as it is much more durable and less thick.</div></div>

More durable and less thick than what? Duracoat and Cerakote are pretty thick. Some of the more expensive polymer coatings like Birdsong Black T, Bearcoat, and Robar Roguard are thinner and at least as durable as Duracoat or Cerakote.</div></div>

My response was around dipping (Hydro-dipping). I did not go this route due to my research and the comments that Nightforce made to me when I inquired if there were any issues if I dipped my scope. They statedthat that they have had issues with dipped scopes not fitting into their calibration jig due to the thickness of the coating, and they have not had any issues with cerakote and they did not mention duracote.

I hope that clairifies my comments.

My bolt is PVD coated (TiAlN, black). It is still intact after several hundred rounds.

If I have to renew the coating, it will be an even darker TiAlCN. The same coating is used for milling tools and only about 1-4 µm thick.

The advantages are apparent. High heat restistance, high friction restistance, high hardness and it is tough.

You should try a coating called melonite or tennifer. I have the details on a individual who will coat bolts for $15 each and barrels for $70 handguns $75 shot gun barrels $45 with no min charge. 7 day turn around. This is the same as on the sw mp pistols or xd. but under a different name Isonite.

DSC_0004-9.jpg

Is this bolt coated? If so, does anyone know what with?

Is Chad fluting your bolt? I was curious what this was coated with also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razorback308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_0004-9.jpg

Is this bolt coated? If so, does anyone know what with?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For starters Cerakote is a lot thinner than duracoat and superior in many areas.
Cerakote when properly applied is approximately .0001" in thickness and can be less than that.
</div></div>

Do you mean .001"? Because everywhere else, that seems to be what other people are saying about cerakote???
</div></div>
Yes, thanks for the catch, accidentally typed one too many 0s

Chad is fluting my bolt to and I would also be interested in finding out the best thing to coat the bolt with and also the best place to have it done.

Thanks Kevin.

Going to send my bolt and scope mount for DIARC nanocomposite diamond coating monday.
Lasts forever (I think), perfect corrosion resistance. 1/5 friction compared to steel.

Edit, although not sure if its available in US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Chad fluting your bolt? I was curious what this was coated with also.

I asked Chad and he said it was coated with Cerakote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razorback308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_0004-9.jpg

Is this bolt coated? If so, does anyone know what with?</div></div> </div></div>