• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt fluting and micro slick....

Jthomas218

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
Kentucky
Anyone recommend a good place to get bolts fluted and micro slick/cerakote ? Thanks

They are probably the quickest in the business. The owner isn't one to dabble around. You could send them a question or call to find out.

I just noticed on the bolt fluting page it says "Please allow 2 - 8 days for rotation through the shop". Coating time would be added to that.

-- Todd

Last edited:
Reactions: Jthomas218
They are probably the quickest in the business. The owner isn't one to dabble around. You could send them a question or call to find out.

I just noticed on the bolt flying page it says "Please allow 2 - 8 days for rotation through the shop". Coating time would be added to that.

-- Todd
I will give them a call . That’s not bad at all. If I got it back in 2 weeks I would be happy

Just remember that they will not flute a Savage Bolt and will not refund if you send them on anyway.

FWIW - No Savage stuff to LRI.

VooDoo

Here is a direct link to the fluting stuff:

Here is a direct link to the fluting stuff:

Thanks ! They look like the real deal

I send mine to PRo Precision Rifles. Paul can turn it pretty quick. I usually have mine back in under 2 weeks from the time I ship.
CB42178D-1DC6-4B63-9084-6E65FE22D5CF.jpeg

I've used Paul at ProPrecisionRifles and have met him personally, great service and great guy to do business with.

I've got a barreled action on its way to LRI as we speak. It'll be my 1st time using them and I'm confident it'll be a positive experience.

Reactions: Geno C.
I'm also curious about this. Does bolt fluting offer any advantages to the shooter, or is it just done because it looks so neat?

Makes my Remington bolts run as smooth as my Sako. That’s the reason I have it done

Think it’s $150. Whatever is on the price list. Give him a call. He’s a good guy to talk to

Aside from cosmetic effect fluting can capture debris and prevent the bolt from freezing in the receiver. For example, the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare model incorporated bolt fluting to prevent freeze up.

Bolt Fluting also provides a little weight savings.

Aside from cosmetic effect fluting can capture debris and prevent the bolt from freezing in the receiver. For example, the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare model incorporated bolt fluting to prevent freeze up.

Bolt Fluting also provides a little weight savings.
I didn’t know that .makes sense !

How much weight can be saved by fluting ?
Not much, but every bit removed is less friction, and in dusty areas it helps to keep the dust out of the rails. Overall it slightly increases reliability, for competition it is more about that, especially if you consider that some will add extra weights to their rig to increase stability and weight, and decrease recoil. Long range precision is all about fine tuning and every little bit adds up.

Not much, but every bit removed is less friction, and in dusty areas it helps to keep the dust out of the rails. Overall it slightly increases reliability, for competition it is more about that, especially if you consider that some will add extra weights to their rig to increase stability and weight, and decrease recoil. Long range precision is all about fine tuning and every little bit adds up.
Makes sense . I might just send two or three bolts to have done . I really like the looks of it and it sounds like it helps the guns run smoother

Makes sense . I might just send two or three bolts to have done . I really like the looks of it and it sounds like it helps the guns run smoother
The fluted bolts I have in my rifles came either from the action manufacturer, or factory but from what I've seen LongRifles Inc. out of Sturgis, SD does a great job for a great price, they've got different fluting patterns, and their turnaround is the fastest I've seen. Several of my friends had bolts, or rifles done by them and I'm thinking about having them do a build based on a Bighorn TL3 for me.

The fluted bolts I have in my rifles came either from the action manufacturer, or factory but from what I've seen LongRifles Inc. out of Sturgis, SD does a great job for a great price, they've got different fluting patterns, and their turnaround is the fastest I've seen. Several of my friends had bolts, or rifles done by them and I'm thinking about having them do a build based on a Bighorn TL3 for me.
Seems like another vote for them. I checked out the site it seems like it’s a nice set up he’s got and the prices are fair

Reactions: SonicBurlap
How much weight can be saved by fluting ?

Less than the change in your pants pocket. :)

Fluting a bolt 101:

1. It's about like a set of new wheels on your vehicle. Pretty to look at, more work to clean and keep nice. A status symbol for your buddies to acknowledge.

In truth, really not much more than that.

One exception that I experienced about 10 years ago.

A client who owns a guide service had us put together a few rifles for him. One was a nice lightweight 7-08. This is a "perfect storm" scenario. It's winter in the Crazy Mtns of MT. Snowing its ass off and its cold outside. Everyone gets their big ass breakfast out of the way as the truck is warming up outside. Guns are in the cab.

45 minute drive to the spot where they are getting out. Jump outside and go to work. Snow fall is heavy, remember this.

What do you got? You got a shit show. Guns are toasty warm steel and composite with snow flakes all over em. The shit melts (for awhile). Then it starts to freeze. You are huffing and puffing through 3' deep powder so your attention is elsewhere. You get to your spot and discover than the iceberg responsible for sinking the Titanic now has its afterbirth all over your rifle. The bolt is locked up solid and your so past fucked you cant get back to fucked with a bus ticket.

In this case, fluting does help. It'll help crunch that shit up. The other part to this is to put the guns in cases and leave em outside overnight so they normalize to ambient temps.

C.

Less than the change in your pants pocket. :)

Fluting a bolt 101:

1. It's about like a set of new wheels on your vehicle. Pretty to look at, more work to clean and keep nice. A status symbol for your buddies to acknowledge.

In truth, really not much more than that.

One exception that I experienced about 10 years ago.

A client who owns a guide service had us put together a few rifles for him. One was a nice lightweight 7-08. This is a "perfect storm" scenario. It's winter in the Crazy Mtns of MT. Snowing its ass off and its cold outside. Everyone gets their big ass breakfast out of the way as the truck is warming up outside. Guns are in the cab.

45 minute drive to the spot where they are getting out. Jump outside and go to work. Snow fall is heavy, remember this.

What do you got? You got a shit show. Guns are toasty warm steel and composite with snow flakes all over em. The shit melts (for awhile). Then it starts to freeze. You are huffing and puffing through 3' deep powder so your attention is elsewhere. You get to your spot and discover than the iceberg responsible for sinking the Titanic now has its afterbirth all over your rifle. The bolt is locked up solid and your so past fucked you cant get back to fucked with a bus ticket.

In this case, fluting does help. It'll help crunch that shit up. The other part to this is to put the guns in cases and leave em outside overnight so they normalize to ambient temps.

C.
Dang that would he terrible ! Pretty accurate comparison to wheels on a car though .

I believe it’s mainly cosmetic, but most guys have them cerakoted too and it won’t rust
If you order a Bighorn Arms TL3 in the DLC version the bolt body is nitrided and the bolt head and action is Diamond Like Carbon coated. Upon further research on the Ionbond site the DLC in matte black according to the description in their brochure:

"...absorbs oil and releases it over time due to its unique characteristics. It also reduces the friction coefficient on the coated parts. Steel on steel has a typical friction coefficient of .7; Steel on DLC has a typical friction coefficient of .02 to .10. For the math challenged, that means that Ionbond finished parts have over 7 times less friction than untreated steel, so it does make the parts a lot more "slippery" and improves the performance of parts that wear on each other... "

Whether you can feel that difference may be as subjective as the personal perception of difference in between high end factory production rifle bolts but I do believe if a company makes those claims these days they must be able to present the supporting data evidence because in today's society the motto of "who can be sued, will be sued" generally seems to apply, so to make only claims you can reasonably back up seems to be a definite CYA measure. I for one will get a DLC'ed TL3 for my next build, because every little bit helps.