• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt function Problem

GLB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Alaska
Remington 700 SA, the Issue is when I lift the bolt and close it it will not set the firing pin. But if I lift the bolt and cycle it the firing pin will set and function. I notice this during dry fire by just lifting the bolt. If I lift the bolt and move it rearward just 1/4" it will funtion just fine.
Anybody have a clue why it is doing this?

Thanks

Re: Bolt function Problem

I did all the function test many times over, drop test,safty test,closeing the bolt hard etc. and everything checks out. However it will not set the firing pin just by lifting the bolt,but when I lift the bolt and ease it back even 1/8" it set the firing pin as normal. ??

factory trigger? or aftermarket? sounds like as the bolt is camming back the cocking piece it isn't catching on the sear. If it is an other than factory trigger or the trigger has been "adjusted" I have an idea this may be where you want to look

Factory trigger,action trued,trigger adjusted all by a known smith. The original bolt had a firing pin lock that was replaced for a non locking firing pin assembly.

Some do some don't. No problem. What is happening is the bolt cam is not pulling back the cocking piece on the bolt far enough to let the top lever in trigger move upward which resets the trigger.

Thanks, Waiting on base and rings so I can shoot it.

All my 700's won't cock on opening if I am putting forward pressure on the bolt. Noticeable but not annoying to me.

Remington's are cock on open & cock on closing by design unless the firing pin is timed.

Bolt cycle whether cycled easily or cycled smartly will render upwards of 3/4Lb trigger pull variation no matter what trigger group is installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington's are cock on open & cock on closing by design unless the firing pin is timed.

Bolt cycle whether cycled easily or cycled smartly will render upwards of 3/4Lb trigger pull variation no matter what trigger group is installed. </div></div>

Today is Tuesday because yesterday was Monday. Or, it could be Tuesday because tomorrow is Wednesday, but I'm sure that three days from now will be Friday.

Hope this helps as much as Dans40x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another anonymous mall ninja!!
</div></div>

Feel free to share my response to your PM with special Ed.

As said above. Trigger needs to be timed by removing material from the angle on the cocking piece so the trigger can reset without moving the bolt rearward.

Thanks for all the replies. I will run it as is for now as long as it keeps passing all the safety checks.