• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt Gun For-end Cover

Jarnatharn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2012
I keep seeing a sort of pad/cover on the for-end of a lot of bolt action rifles and I cant seem to find it on line, what it is called, or even who makes it. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Bolt Gun For-end Cover

regina21.jpg

This is what I was talking about.

Please forgive my ignorance but what are the purposes of it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive my ignorance but what are the purposes of it?</div></div>

Protects your stock or chassis from damage...when resting against rocks, frames, roofs, etc.

Stocks and chassis systems are hard. So are rocks, roofs, barriers, and other things you're likely to shoot off.

The skid plate is soft.

You want soft to hard contact whenever possible.

The Skid Plate was initially conceived while training in Texas, at Rifles Only. When running, and then stopping at a barricade, it was necessary to get a rearbag to shoot off of. This removed the "Jumping recoil" from the rifle. With breathing affecting the vertical rise of the crosshair, and the lateral movement caused by an unsteady rear bag, I figured out there had to be a better way.
The SP is used to removed recoil induced physics, avoid slippage while shooting off a barricade, provide a vertical suspension point while in a sniper's hide, removed the heartbeat from your hand while shooting positional, and lastly to provide a solid grip with which to carry your rifle one handed while moving or running. There is nothing worse than picking your rifle up from the forestock and it slips out of your grip, rotates, and lands on your scope.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Seems like it would do a damn fine job of keeping your bottom rails from getting F'd up when shooting off of a hard surface with out a bipod as well.

I ordered 2 last month from Sotech, one for A3-5 stock and one for A-5. When they wrote me back and said 8 wk backorder I cancelled and requested a refund. Last week I went ahead and bit the bullet again figuring only a 4 week backorder (lead time).
They responded just today and declared an 8-10 week lead time.
This is a fine product that I really need but my GAP Hospitaller will probably beat it here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive my ignorance but what are the purposes of it? </div></div>

As others have said....soft on hard and not hard on hard. it isolates

Macm11,
I promise you it will NOT be 8 weeks. This is an issue that is getting corrected, and I spoke to them today about having these in stock, and we will be expediting a run to satisfy the current demand and have them on hand whenever a customer calls.
Very soon they will also be carried through another retailer, and that will be the go to site.
IF there is ever a question or a concern, especially regarding this topic, then PLEASE call me direct. If I don't know about it, I cannot fix it!
Thanks,

Phil

Yes, it does a GREAT job of protecting your stock finish. There are a lot of beautiful rifles out there with scratches in their finish. Totally unnecessary!