• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bolt handle broken.....now what...

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Well, I'm a moron and snapped the Badger Bolt handle off my Rem700.

photo-1.jpg

Now what...???

Re: Bolt handle broken.....now what...

I'd call Mark at SAC and see what he can do with it, he runs another threaded stud up inside of the handles anyways, I'm sure he can figure something out for yours.

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?page_id=292

Or send it to someone to have a new bolt handle brazed on, many site sponsor gunsmiths can do it.

I've heard lots of Badgers breaking. Have you considered the TacOps knob?

Monteboy84 here on the Hide can install you one at a fair price. You'll be better than new!

Buy a TacOps bolt knob... Square away the handle with a grinder/file... Drill a hole in it... Silver solder the post thingy in place... screw on bolt knob... Rock n Roll!
wink.gif

I was thinking of an APA bolt handle. Anyone have any experience with the thing? And the TacOps looks identical to my Badger, what makes it better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're not a moron.
You're a brute!
</div></div>

Ill keep telling myself that.. hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking of an APA bolt handle. Anyone have any experience with the thing? And the TacOps looks identical to my Badger, what makes it better? </div></div>

The stud and attachment method is much stronger. Talk to Monteboy84, he'll fill you in on the details.

i tried Monteboy84 but it won't let me pm him. any other way to get ahold of him

I just messaged him with this thread pal, he'll get ya squared away. He does great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 action blueprinted, Krieger #17 HV 5r, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Bolt Knob</span></span>, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (NP-R1), Nightforce 20 MOA base, Badger Rings, Harris Bipod, TacOps Cheek Pad, HS stock APA bottom metal, Turner NM sling </div></div>

Fixed your signature for ya. haha

I did exactly the samething 5 years ago, Randy http://www.rdprecision.net/ inserted a threaded shaft in what was left and installed one of his bolt knobs, and many thousands more of rounds fired and dry firing practice it's still going strong, turn around time was 2 weeks.

Monteboy84 did mine also. He does great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 action blueprinted, Krieger #17 HV 5r, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Bolt Knob</span></span>, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (NP-R1), Nightforce 20 MOA base, Badger Rings, Harris Bipod, TacOps Cheek Pad, HS stock APA bottom metal, Turner NM sling </div></div>

Fixed your signature for ya. haha</div></div>

u bastard hahahaha

have a tacops knob installed, for now. when it's time to rebarrel, have a one piece ptg bolt fit to it. otherwise the handle separating from the bolt body is next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Monteboy84 did mine also. He does great work. </div></div>

Did one for me too! He welds the stud in, blends it to match the handle, then squirts it with duracoat for a flawless factory look!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried Monteboy84 but it won't let me pm him. any other way to get ahold of him
</div></div>

Sorry about that, PM box was full
blush.gif
I'll fix it for free, it sucks when stuff breaks.

-matt

Relax, this isn't a huge issue. As others have stated it's a fairly simple fix to drill the handle and thread a stud into it, some smiths do it this way as a matter of course. You're rifle is still functional so at least you can still shoot it if you need to. Inquire with whoever manufactures the new molt handle that you want to install and let them reccomend someone if you're not sure who to go to.

Edited to add; I don't know if you're married or not but this is a perfect opportunity to have to purchise a new rifle because this one is unsafe!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried Monteboy84 but it won't let me pm him. any other way to get ahold of him
</div></div>

blush.gif
I'll fix it for free, it sucks when stuff breaks.

-matt </div></div>

This!! Awesome offer and he does great work.

Thats one of the issues of turning down the bolt for a aftermarket knob, doesnt happen often but when it does...
Youy can either (1)replace the bolt with a one piece bolt/handle (2) have a smith install a new bolt handle (3) have the current bolt handle tapped for a insert and a new handle installed. The last option will be the cheapest but the weakest fix.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 action blueprinted, Krieger #17 HV 5r, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Bolt Knob</span></span>, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (NP-R1), Nightforce 20 MOA base, Badger Rings, Harris Bipod, TacOps Cheek Pad, HS stock APA bottom metal, Turner NM sling </div></div>

Fixed your signature for ya. haha </div></div>

Now that was funny. Thanks for the laugh...

Good luck with your knob, Duffy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking to just attach a small vise grips to it and go. </div></div>

Only if they're generic, real ones cost too much.

-matt

There is a term for vee-shaped cuts in metal, that is, non-radiused - STRESS RISER.

In order to use their knob thread ID, not only do you reduce the diameter (amount) of the metal, you cut stress risers into it via the threads.

Those home made oversized knobs using epoxy don't have this issue...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I'm a moron and snapped the Badger Bolt handle off my Rem700.

albuto-1.jpg

Now what...???

</div></div>

Duffy-

I've broken TWO of my Badger bolt handles! The way they are installed can be weak, try R&D Precision, Randy inserts a metal rod into the arm and threads the bolt handle on to the rod.. which is MUCH MUCH stronger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking to just attach a small vise grips to it and go. </div></div>

Only if they're generic, real ones cost too much.

-matt </div></div>

since irwin bought/took over the vise-grip brand, they are all made in china and suck ass. i doubt they'd hold up to opening a bolt handle one time now days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since irwin bought/took over the vise-grip brand, they are all made in china and suck ass. i doubt they'd hold up to opening a bolt handle one time now days. </div></div>

Go figure, reminds me of Butler Creek scope caps...

-matt

I appreciate all the inputs, Im sending the bolt out today for repair. Hope it comes back fast so I can put it to use on Mr. Whitetal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried Monteboy84 but it won't let me pm him. any other way to get ahold of him
</div></div>

blush.gif
<span style="color: #CC0000">I'll fix it for free</span>, it sucks when stuff breaks.

-matt </div></div>

Winning!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried Monteboy84 but it won't let me pm him. any other way to get ahold of him
</div></div>

blush.gif
<span style="color: #CC0000">I'll fix it for free</span>, it sucks when stuff breaks.

-matt </div></div>

Winning!!

Needless to say my bolt is in the mail on the way to Monteboy84. Even without the offer it was going his way.

......and I'm sure hefty tip will be in order....
</div></div>