• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt hard to close after 2x firing

SOuser

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Texas
I tried to load a 2x fired round and i noticed that the bolt is hard to close. I know that the case length is dead on, shoulders are set back enough, and measured the case without finding any anomalies. The 1x fired brass with same measurements do not seem to have these issues. I FL size each and every time.

Here are my component list:
Brass: Norma
Caliber: 300 WSM
Dies: Redding Type-S FL bushing dies
Shoulder setback: .002

I went as far as trimmed one of the case below SAMMI spec to ensure that it wasn’t the case length. I also bumped the shoulder .008 to ruled that out as well. I’m confused to what may be causing this. The bolt is hard to close with the ejector removed and bullet NOT seated. Any ideas?

You’re die is likely not sizing the base just above the extractor groove enough. Measure before and after sizing to compare. You can also color the web area with a sharpie then chamber it and look for interference marks.

That’s what i assumed as well so screwed the die in a bit more without any success. I noticed that i couldn’t go any further without bumping the shoulders way too much. The web OD on the 2x fired brass is same as 1x fired brass that do not have this issue.

Get a case gauge, it relieved a lot of headaches for me about 30 years ago.
Cheers

It’s definitely not the shoulder setback so it might be the headspace on the rifle. I have a 300wsm with a Bartlein barrel that was throated long for 215gr Bergers. If i have a headspace issues with the rifle, shouldn’t that reveal itself after the 1st firing?

Chamber is probably a little over spec, a small base die will do the trick. You will likely need to run brass through that die every few firings, not completely uncommon

Reactions: camotoe
That’s what i assumed as well so screwed the die in a bit more without any success. I noticed that i couldn’t go any further without bumping the shoulders way too much. The web OD on the 2x fired brass is same as 1x fired brass that do not have this issue.

What are you using to measure with? Have you tested to see where the interference is yet?

Measure the diameter of a fired case at the case head and the shoulder and compare it to your sized case.
You thinking the chamber might be a bit wallowed out near the shoulder?

If the shoulder is bumped .002” and the case is chambering hard, then the case is too big in diameter. It is important to know the sized case dimensions to compare them to fired case dimensions.

Sometimes the seater is turned down too much and it applies a crimp at the case mouth. If the crimp is excessive the case can buckle at the shoulder and grow in diameter.

Sometimes the chamber is too tight and the sizing die just isn’t able to reduce the case body diameter enough.

Check the shoulder and the base.

I think i found the culprit. I played around screwing the die in further and further until i felt no resistance on the bolt handle. I was able to get to the no-resistance state by screwing the die about 1/8 after the die made contact with the shellholder. The problem that i’m Running into now is that the shoulder will be bumped way too much if i set the die to size correctly.

Any suggestions on the next step? It’s obvious to me that the die is not sizing all the way. If i try to correct this, i get too much shoulder bump.

If the shoulder is bumped .002” and the case is chambering hard, then the case is too big in diameter. It is important to know the sized case dimensions to compare them to fired case dimensions.

Sometimes the seater is turned down too much and it applies a crimp at the case mouth. If the crimp is excessive the case can buckle at the shoulder and grow in diameter.

Sometimes the chamber is too tight and the sizing die just isn’t able to reduce the case body diameter enough.

Check the shoulder and the base.

If the chamber is too tight is my only option to take it back to the gunsmith? I found the issue but i am not sure how i can remedy the issue.

I attached a picture of where the binding on the brass

F43D67B5-D057-4605-B73C-FE32C0BADECE.jpeg
F43D67B5-D057-4605-B73C-FE32C0BADECE.jpeg

This is something I have heard about with some short mag cartridges. But I have never loaded for one myself.
The resizing die isn't going to fix this problem, unless it's a small base type that resizes all the way down to the head.
Appreciate it if you could post your results on a fix.
But I feel this is similar to what happens on some belted magnums .
Though the chamber reamer dementions could have been altered during cutting buy some chips that weren't cleared properly, and got in between the cutting serface and the chamber wall.
That would be a sucky situation.
Hopefully you can get it sorted , probably by a good Smith though.
Please post results.

I don’t believe small base die will fix the issue. The issue lies in the fact that the die is not able to fully capture the brass. If i screw in the die enough the die will fully resize the case and the issue is gone. I‘m thinking this is related to how the barrel was throated/chambered.

I don’t believe small base die will fix the issue. The issue lies in the fact that the die is not able to fully capture the brass. If i screw in the die enough the die will fully resize the case and the issue is gone. I‘m thinking this is related to how the barrel was throated/chambered.

If you’d provide the base diameter .2 above the case head on a fired case, we’d be able to tell you in a second if the problem were an undersized chamber, or a die that’s oversized at the base.

FEB11F19-4037-4EBE-A84F-35C84B0184C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Indeed. I have hunt coming up in 2 weeks so this is disappointing to hear. Thanks for your help.

A small base die sizes the body of the case .001” to .002” tighter than a standard FL die. So the area where it is binding right now will be sized that much smaller. So it will solve the issue.

Reactions: John Glidewell
I have my doubts a small base die is made for 300 wsm. Your best bet to get brass to fit other than buying new is get that base system from Patriot Valley Arms, or buy a 2nd die, and have the shoulder bored off the top of the die, then remove 20 thou or so from the bottom of the die, basically making a base sizing die.
If you need a pic of what I am talking about, pm me.

Reactions: kingston
The good news is. Eventually good tough brass will be made for is round. Lapua. Peterson ect.

Reactions: John Glidewell
UPDATE: It doesn’t appear to be an undersized chamber. He made a pin that is .556 and it dropped in the chamber approx .050” - .075” deep. The SAMMI specs is .555.

Back to square one. I’m going to be ordering a small base sizer die and hope that it doesn’t bump the shoulders too much to affect the accuracy.

Shows “discontinued” at Natchez.

RCBS site lists without any mention of availability. But also states “ Note: Not recommended for ammunition used in bolt-action rifles.” Thoughts on that?

The OP’s chamber is too tight. He needs to get his case sized tighter than what his standard die is doing. Look at the pics. It doesn’t matter what RCBS says. His chamber is not a typical bolt gun chamber.

At this point, I would take it to a reputable smith and get it fixed right, or at least be able to stop guessing