• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt hard to close

Offshore10

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2013
I have a newbie question, on 3 types of match ammo for a 260 rem it is hard to close the bolt and seats the bullet deeper into the brass when It locks. I used a hornady oal gauge and with the 127 gr lrx Barnes bullets I come up with 2.750 to the lands. This seems short to me ? With a new custom gun. Some of the match bullets are 2.798 new and after I close the bolt there are heavy marks on the bullet and the new size is 2.793 and shorter. Is this a problem? Shouldn't I be able to use match bullets from diff manuf?

Measure your chamber, or call the smith and see if they know your jam #. Not all bullets of the same weight measure out the same.

Agreed, tell the smith you spun your barrel. If you can chamber empty brass without stiffness, then chances are the throat is too short, otherwise the chamber wasn't cut correctly.

midway should have them in stock or check with dave kiff at pacific tool and gauge. Really all you need is the go-gauge and they run around 30 bucks. If you get a go-gauge stick in chamber as if loading a round, bolt should close smoothly but be alittle firm, if it doesnt send back to smith and have re-check headspace. Also you can check the torque on the actions screws, they should be around 40 to 60 inch pounds depending on preference.

Last edited:
I made my hand loads to 2.795 before I got the oal gauge and stopped shooting when it was tuff to close. Resized brass chambers fine with with no bullet.

Do you know if you have standard .260 chamber or a custom chamber. You may have a chamber that has a tight neck and the necks on the brass need to be trimmed/turn down.

Last edited:
measure the brass neck with calipers or micrometer on an empty case and then a loaded case. Also check how far you are seating bullet into lands of rifling.

Checked the same exact gun made 30 days earlier with the oal gauge and same bullet. 2.808 to the lands

are you measuring the COAL of the whole loaded round? From you stated earlier that when you close bolt with round in chamber it pushes the bullet further into brass, that may mean you have the bullet seated to far into the lands of the rifling or your rifle has improper headspacing. Try loading a dummy round and adjust your bullet seating on your reloading die and then try to chamber in rifle, if bolt closes then you may have solved problem.

Last edited:
Yes coal I tried three diff manuf of factory match grade ammo and it pushed the bullets deeper. I'm just worried that I won't be able to buy off the shelf ammo. I can reload my own to keep it off the lands but the bullet is seated really deep.

Thank u I'm calling tomorrow. Just didnt sound right to me that exact same guns and there so diff

It's a very good company so I'm not worried about it. Just hope they can do it right away, it's hunting season

Having a fired case and the bad case will help them find the cause of problem quicker. Here are a couple pics of the custom rifles that my father and i built, one is a .308 and the other is 6mm-284.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
Yup that is a throat problem, nothing to do with the case. Essentially the lands are set too far back and the bullet does not have enough room to fit. This is why the bullet is being forced back into the case. The fact your sized cases fit fine show head space is likely not messed up too, just the throat.