• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt issues

Austin2512

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
I recently bought a Remington 700 Pcr enhanced, I have less than 300 rounds through it and lately I noticed it was hard to fully chamber a round sometimes, the bolt would go forward almost all the way then get stuck and won’t move forward. I have upgraded the trigger but I wouldn’t imaging that would be part of the issue. I Have also found a dent on the one lug and a small chip in between the one groove. And on the other side there seems to be a perfect circle like someone took a punch to it ( could be from the factory). I also seem to have some uneven wear on the lugs. If anyone could help me out on what I should do that would
Be great , I am fairly new to bolt action rifles.
4311247A-FA8A-4907-AE33-9277EFA20466.jpeg
FD3FC129-B220-4806-95D7-D23D6C66F587.jpeg

The chip on the anti bind rail and the indent shouldn’t have anything to do with chambering. If the anti bind rail were to cause an issue it would be when you initially start pulling the bolt rearward and the rail engages the groove.

Did the rifle always have an issue chambering? If not then something changed. If it’s always done it then it’s more likely to be something between the chamber and ammo not getting along. Hard to say without a lot more details and trouble shooting but it’s highly unlikely that those two things are causing you’re problem.

Reactions: XLR308
Have you thoroghly cleaned the lug recess in the action ?
I’ve cleaned it multiple times and i could be fine for x amount of rounds then it will happen Again, the bolt cycles fine when it’s empty but sometimes when I put a round in the bolt doesn’t want to close all the way , and I’m shooting factory ammo ( federal .308 gold medal match SMK )

The chip on the anti bind rail and the indent shouldn’t have anything to do with chambering. If the anti bind rail were to cause an issue it would be when you initially start pulling the bolt rearward and the rail engages the groove.

Did the rifle always have an issue chambering? If not then something changed. If it’s always done it then it’s more likely to be something between the chamber and ammo not getting along. Hard to say without a lot more details and trouble shooting but it’s highly unlikely that those two things are causing you’re problem.
When I first got the rifle i cleaned it like I’ve have any other gun, it happens once when I first was firing it but I really didn’t take notice to it being I’m new to bolt action rifles, next time i cleaned it shot about 40 rounds through it and it and it would do the same thing , I’ve been putting factory ammo through and not the cheap stuff either

I’ve cleaned it multiple times and i could be fine for x amount of rounds then it will happen Again, the bolt cycles fine when it’s empty but sometimes when I put a round in the bolt doesn’t want to close all the way , and I’m shooting factory ammo ( federal .308 gold medal match SMK )

Yeah not the lug recess, sounds like but just a guess the headspace is tight and only shows with some rounds.
Is there any shiny spots on the case head or shoulders of the rounds that you say it doesn't want to close on.

Yeah not the lug recess, sounds like but just a guess the headspace is tight and only shows with some rounds.
Is there any shiny spots on the case head or shoulders of the rounds that you say it doesn't want to close on.
Good question, didn’t even think about setting those aside and looking at them

I have some fgmm 168 grain that does the same thing. There’s another thread where Mike from TacOps states there is a known issue with some lots of current fgmm being out of spec and hard to close the bolt.

Terry Cross also commented. Here’s the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krazy_jim
I have some fgmm 168 grain that does the same thing. There’s another thread where Mike from TacOps states there is a known issue with some lots of current fgmm being out of spec and hard to close the bolt.

Interesting

Just out of curiosity do these rounds that are long on headspace dimensions show any classic signs of pressure after firing or just difficult to close the bolt on ?

Just out of curiosity do these rounds that are long on headspace dimensions show any classic signs of pressure after firing or just difficult to close the bolt on ?

no pressure signs in my rem 700. Just hard to close the bolt. Hornady rounds chamber without issue in my gun. Fgmm 168 (new lot purchased about 4 months ago), hard to close bolt on probably 80% of rounds.

Reactions: XLR308
@MikeRTacOps and @Terry Cross are absolute experts at building 308 rifles for police and govt that shoot factory ammo. More importantly, they are both outstanding gentlemen. Send them a pm and I’m sure they would expound on the issue. Terry is dealing with some hurricane damage so if he doesn't respond don’t take it personally.

@MikeRTacOps and @Terry Cross are absolute experts at building 308 rifles for police and govt that shoot factory ammo. More importantly, they are both outstanding gentlemen. Send them a pm and I’m sure they would expound on the issue. Terry is dealing with some hurricane damage so if he doesn't respond don’t take it personally.
I'm happy to help shoot me a pm with your number...

Mike R.

Reactions: dirthead1
I recently bought a Remington 700 Pcr enhanced, I have less than 300 rounds through it and lately I noticed it was hard to fully chamber a round sometimes, the bolt would go forward almost all the way then get stuck and won’t move forward. I have upgraded the trigger but I wouldn’t imaging that would be part of the issue. I Have also found a dent on the one lug and a small chip in between the one groove. And on the other side there seems to be a perfect circle like someone took a punch to it ( could be from the factory). I also seem to have some uneven wear on the lugs. .

My 2 cents.

Don't worry about the "dent" on the outer radius of your right lug. It is not a dent. It is from Remington production and has nothing to do with your issue.
Likewise, you do not have a "chip" in your anti-bind rail groove. Again, that is there on purpose by Remington and has nothing to do with your issue and is not a flaw or defect.

90% chance your ammo is oversize.
Find someone with a shoulder datum comparator. Zero the comparator on a "GO" chamber gauge. Measure your factory ammo with the same comparator and you will likely find your shoulder datum on some of that ammo is 2 to 3 thousandths larger than the GO. Measure some of your Aguila, Hornady or other ammo that chambers easily and you will find they fall below the GO length when measuring the same datum.

Several comments made in these forums regarding EVERY brand of ammo experiencing more QC issues than we have ever seen. Some are consistently worse repeat offenders than others but even Federal GM has erred.

10% chance you have a shitty extractor or an issue with the extractor recess in the bolt nose that is shaving brass when chambering rounds. The shaved brass can get between the breech face and the base of the cartridge resulting in hard to close bolt. The shaved brass can also accumulate in the action between the bottom lug seat and the barrel breech which could allow a piece to get between the bottom bolt lug and its hosting lug seat which can again cause a false headspace condition with hard to close bolt.

My money in on the 1st one.

Since this forum is supposed to be a learning resource for the rifle community, I invite you to share what you find to be the cause once you solve it.
Post what you find and how you went about coming to your conclusion.

./

If the issue is oversize ammo, you can successfully run all of your offending factory ammo through a friend's Redding body/bump die without the neck bushing in place then clean any lube off the ammo with alcohol. (Isopropyl or similar. NOT Wild Turkey.)

Some people may frown at pushing loaded rounds back into a size die of any type. Dillon progressives do it all the time with the "taper" crimp and secondary size die. I have done this a couple of times with ammo that was severe and I had a shit load of.

I also occasionally run with scissors and have been known to go swimming in less than an hour after a meal. . . . so don't choose based on me.

./