• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt knob conversion for Ruger Mk 77/22..Pics

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Ask and you shall receive!!!! I just completed my fixture for the Ruger Mk 77/22's to do tactical bolt knob conversions. It was pretty difficult to perform these conversions because of how hard the metal is and the fact that each bolt is ground down and hand finished, so each bolt handle is different and requires specific setup. Anyway, here are some pictures of the first conversion that I have done. Enjoy.

DSC05096.jpg

DSC05110.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05113.jpg

DSC05115.jpg

Re: Bolt knob conversion for Ruger Mk 77/22..Pics

Your work looks perfect!

I don't have one of these guns, but that bolt looks to be very well made and the firing pin seems to have been taken straight out of a 98 Mauser.

That looks great even on a Ruger
wink.gif

Do you plan on any further bolt conversions. I have a few Coopers that would look great with something other than the round knob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks great even on a Ruger
wink.gif

Do you plan on any further bolt conversions. I have a few Coopers that would look great with something other than the round knob. </div></div>

I am always looking to build new fixtures and do other conversions that have not been done before. You would have to be willing to send your bolt out so I can build a fixture specific for it. This could possibly take a few weeks depending on my work load. But I can study the bolt and design and see if its possible. So far I have been able to do every bolt I have attempted.

Here is a better comparison of the Remington 700 Short Action bolt and how far it extends the knob.

untitled-6.jpg

Mark

Outstanding work,Mark! I've got 2 Ruger bolts I'll be sending and also a Savage rimfire bolt if you can do that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding work,Mark! I've got 2 Ruger bolts I'll be sending and also a Savage rimfire bolt if you can do that... </div></div>

Ok, I will try to get a fixture up and running for the Savage bolts when I get yours in.

I will keep my eyes and ears open for the mail to come!

Looks awesome! Good job..

What you charging for the bolt knobs/installation on the 77/22?

Beautiful work.

Edit, nvm. Found you posted the price on another post. Might have to send one out after the 1st of the year.

I can't find that post. Maybe I'm just not searching right. I am also interested in the cost.

US Handgunner- "Price for these is a little more because the metal is a lot harder on my tooling. When I supply the knob it is $95 shipped and insured back to you, if you supply the knob it is $75."

Do you have a picture with the conversion on a complete rifle? I may need to go get a Ruger now
smile.gif

Are you set up to do a Kimber SVT .22lr bolt?
If so I would be interested.
Please PM me with info, or post it here.
Sorry for not "PM" ing,
but thought you might want to show other bolt you can work on.
If not, "sorry".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a picture with the conversion on a complete rifle? I may need to go get a Ruger now
smile.gif
</div></div>

I do not have a picture of the complete rifle yet. I had to order some other parts for the customer and will be sending it back to him soon. I will keep you posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPER-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you set up to do a Kimber SVT .22lr bolt?
If so I would be interested.
Please PM me with info, or post it here.
Sorry for not "PM" ing, but thought you might want to show other bolt you can work on.
If not, "sorry". </div></div>

I have not done a Kimber SVT, I would have to look at it and see if any of my fixtures would work or if I need to design a new one. If you did want to proceed you can send me your bolt for review but It may take a few weeks to get it completed.

Thanks, Mark
I will try and give you a call on the Kimber bolt.
I have 2 Kimbers, may get them both done.
Will try and call before the new year.
Thanks ,
Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding work,Mark! I've got 2 Ruger bolts I'll be sending and also a Savage rimfire bolt if you can do that... </div></div>

Ok, I will try to get a fixture up and running for the Savage bolts when I get yours in.

I will keep my eyes and ears open for the mail to come! </div></div>

I'd be interested in seeing how the Savage MkII bolt comes out. I'd like to do something about the factory handle on it, it's awfully short, would like to get more leverage on it, as well as a more "tacticool" look to it.

Branden

hi Mark they fit perfectly on Tikka rifles aswell i have done a few now and also a fer CZ22's for the guys who like big knobs on their rifles.

Somebody send him a CZ-452 bolt, and then post pics!

ETA:

I just checked out your website. Since the CZ-452 bolt handle has a hollow ball on the end, is this conversion at all possible?

man that looks great!

If possible can you post some pics of the rifle reassembled?

Are there any problems with the knob hitting the scope?

thanks
dgwelsh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgwelsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man that looks great!

If possible can you post some pics of the rifle reassembled?

Are there any problems with the knob hitting the scope?

thanks
dgwelsh </div></div>

I don't have the rifle on hand, just the customers bolt.

Davin, instead of making the handle into a shaft, I would indicate the handle so it runs straight and true at two locations and then drill, tap and insert a hardened 10/32 screw and make the knob fit that. For the CZ I do have plans on making a new handle for the CZ that is stronger, longer and threaded for whatever knob you would want to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Davin, instead of making the handle into a shaft, I would indicate the handle so it runs straight and true at two locations and then drill, tap and insert a hardened 10/32 screw and make the knob fit that. For the CZ I do have plans on making a new handle for the CZ that is stronger, longer and threaded for whatever knob you would want to use. </div></div>

Terrific! Please be sure to keep us updated on this.

Great Mark. I already WANTED a 77/22, now I HAVE to have one!

Man that looks good. I like how the bolt is rounded right before the bolt knob. Blends together good.

Looks great! Something for down the road!

Perfect time for me to stumble upon this. I'm currently working my 77/22 stock, and i'll need this in a week or two

Would love any updated 77/22 pics. Any issues w clearance w a scope?
Thanks and sharp work,

What kind of turn around time do you have? I like this but want something a bit smaller kinda like what is on the savage 22's

Men, Mark did my 77/22 on the first January from MD to Ohio and back in less than 10 days. The work looks great and really does improve function.

Cbennet - no issues w clearance? I set my scope pretty far forward and worry that the eye piece bell housing of the scope will interfere.
Thank you,

340, my camera is at work,or otherwise I would post pictures. I am running a VX-111 4.5 by 14 in stock Ruger rings,if the straight part of the handle clears the knob will. I am running the largest knob Mark offers and the knob begins after the largest part of the diameter of the eyepiece.
The knob really gives alot of leverage. I use this for rig silhouettes and can now work the bolt with a finger.
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Any additional photos of the complete rifle?

77/22 Bolt modifications by Short Action Custom. Outstanding feel, appearance, and price.

Thank you Mark

What.jpg

JaY