• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt lube, dirt and PRS

bigred6695

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
I participated in a local match and it was windy. I was getting ready to shoot the first stage and noticed my rifle was caked in dirt. It was so bad I had troubles chambering a round. I will now be buying a rifle cover to protect between stages, but how do you lube your bolt? I normally have a light coat of oil that I wipe clean and put a little grease on the lugs.

Not a PRS shooter but I run Lucas synthentic grease on the lugs and the cocking ramp (Savage). The bold body is TiN coated so it gets nada...

For my match rifle, I run synthetic grease on the lugs, cocking ramp, and the raceway. I also put a very thin film of grease on the bolt body. This is on a Gen 1 Nucleus. Haven't had grit stop her yet.

During the moon dust season (July-Sept), I put a small amount of grease on lugs and ramp. Everything else is bone dry.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
Take a look at Hornady One Shot cleaner and lube. Give the bolt a good cleaning, light geese on lug and cocking, then spray a lite/single pass. Let it dry then you’ll be GTG.
Exactly what I do

Next to the Hornady One Shot is this.
Haven't tried it, but would like to eventually, just haven't had a need.

Next to the Hornady One Shot is this.
Haven't tried it, but would like to eventually, just haven't had a need.

I've got one tube of that oil and grease that I was given as a sample years ago. Their size makes for convenient range bag lube.

It works, and it's decent stuff. But, you can buy a quart of synthetic motor oil, and a whole pound of synthetic bearing grease for the same price.

Reactions: Aftermath
I’ve been running HAWG grease from rand the last few years and I’ve had good results. I just do the lugs and cocking ramp with a super thin layer and send it.

I use the Imperial dry neck lube on all contact points. Very smooth and does not attract dirt.

Take a look at Hornady One Shot cleaner and lube. Give the bolt a good cleaning, light geese on lug and cocking, then spray a lite/single pass. Let it dry then you’ll be GTG.

Thats what I do along with a light grease on back of lugs. Works great.

I shoot in the desert all the time moon dust, sand, if it rains mud. Bolt is bone dry with as little grease as I can manage to put on the back of the lugs. 10000 rounds like this and it runs like butter. I am running an impact, And different actions like a different lube levels. But overall, in the dirt, I think drier is better.

This is what I do as well. It's not very dusty where I shoot, but I will tell you that I had a bad batch of brass a couple years ago (the primer pockets were loose) and it would routinely blow primers. The action would get caked with all the junk coming the wrong way....This is what made me try the One Shot.

I now use red grease on the lugs and One Shot on the bolt body on all my actions. I recoat every time I clean (every 200 - 300rds). When I used to oil the bolt body you could tell it would collect dirt - even in my not very dusty environment - and it would slow the bolt down or make it a little sticky. But with the One Shot it dries and it's still slick. Nothing sticks to it. There was a notable difference in my Bighorns and my ARC Archimedes.

Anyone use those silicone impregnated towels or moly “dust”.
Just throwing more products in the mix

Or get an Impact action that's designed to run in some really harsh conditions. Saw a number of Defiance actions go down during TPRC last November, and Impacts didn't miss a beat.

Or Surgeon, ARC, Lone Peak, etc...

Have run GAP Templar and Surgeon as well as 700s in those conditions without issue. Look forward to seeing what the Bighorns do in dusty and sandy conditions.

What about PTFE dry lube? You can buy that at just about any hardware store in the world.

As long as it's dry should work fine. I have used the Rem Oil Dry Lube in the past too. I like the One Shot because it actually cleans too so two birds with one stone.

The only One Shot lube i've seen is for case lube. Is this what you all are referring to?

Yup that’s the stuff. Not the one shot case lube. Two different products.

Reactions: Newbie2020
My KAC SR15 E3 MOD2 only uses Mobile 1 Synthetic and I run it dirty. Been using the same on my bolt. So far so good in NJ jungles 😁