• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bolt Lug Clearance for the 700

woodsy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
IL
When chambering barrels for the 700 we always talk about losing 0.0015 – 0.002 of headspace when the receiver is torqued. We plan for it and typically end up right on the money.

For field rifles, we also plan for 0.005 – 0.010 for clearance for the bolt nose when cutting the counterbore. If we consider the 0.0015 – 0.002 that we’ll lose upon final torque, we’ll end up with a bolt nose clearance somewhere around 0.0035 – 0.008. This is okay for a field rifle if even a bit on the tight side.

The one thing that is never talked about is the clearance of the front of the lugs to the rear of the tenon. Are most of guys looking for the same 0.005 – 0.010 clearance as the bolt nose? Does it really matter?

What’s your “rule of thumb” for figuring the clearance of the front of the lugs to the rear of the tenon?

Last edited:
if you're talking bout the front of the bolt lugs to the barrel clearance, it should be about .010

I will go .010 normally, .005 if the bolt is timed with .010 clearance between the bolt handle and action. I will allow for .002 of crush when the barrel is torqued on.

Kc

I generally set my tenon length the same as the bolt face measurement from the front of the recoil lug less the .0015" - .002" that you mentioned.

Generally that gives the necessary clearance to operate with out touching and makes makes setting the head space easy as well because you are looking for the GO gage to extend flush with the tenon length.

Hope that makes sense.

Gary

Seems like we're all on the same page here with 0.010 being the accepted clearance. I had wondered and thought it a bit strange that this is rarely discussed.

I sometimes get a kick out of watching videos on how some guys fit a Remy barrel. They mostly say that you should cut your tenon length to whatever length it is from the front of the recoil lug to the front of the bolt lugs minus 0.002. Seems like that would bind a lot of bolts!

Last edited:
I certainly hope no one cuts any tendons while machining a barrel. Bad joo joo! Lee

I didn’t intend to offend your sensitivities so went back and edited the posts.

BTW, your signature needs edited as well.