• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt pouch or case?

I’m sure any pouch or case that they fit in will work. You could probably go in the woman’s makeup section at Walmart and find a small cheap case. I’m sure somebody makes a tactical bolt pouch for $99.99 if you want to go that route. Lol.

Why not just put an extra bolt in a pocket of your bag. Why do you want to carry extra bolts?

The Voodoo drag bag soft case I use has a pouch made for the bolt allready, it may be a pistol pouch not sure but that is were I have allways put the bolt.
There is also a company named Tourbon that makes a canvas bag specific to what your looking for.

I have a leather one made by Bald Eagle. It’s nice but I wouldn’t say it’s “field ready.” It does have a belt loop on it but it would fall out rather easily.

I would look for a small waterproof phone case and put some foam in it.

Good call. Im new to bolt guns, I didn't think there was anything particularly fiddly with them. Hell, the manual on my rifle didn't even include instructions on how to break down the bolt.

That’s because they don’t condone end users servicing them for legal reasons as well as people who don’t know they’re doing messing stuff up that they’ll be expected to fix. It’s either send them in or take them to a certified repair facility if the manufacturer has those set up.

The small pistol cases work great.
66DD2393-FF30-4F04-A0E7-05538CF30876.jpeg

I am also unsure as to why someone would carry an extra bolt for a bolt gun in the field. How often do bolts fail?

Some folks don't carry extra bolts, they prefer to transport their rifles with the bolt removed in a separate case.

Reactions: Sprayed99
I've had bolts fail repeatedly in the same stage of a match.

At the first SOA Match in 2002, I was shooting a .260 load developed for four supposedly identical Savage rifles that was running way too hot in mine. Prep time before the match was getting short, so I reloaded all my ammo a grain lighter and shipped it. It got pretty hot two weeks later on the line and I started blowing primers, wiping out my extractor each time. Not trusting the load, I had brought along a second bolt from a 308. When my primer blew, I was removing the bolt, holding it back over my shoulder, and getting another, fixed, bolt slapped right back into my hand by our armorer, Darkeagle Dan. This happened, I'm guessing, a half dozen times, yet I was able to finish my stages.

So yes, these things happen.

BTW/FYI, this paint can opener tool ($3) can catch the case rim and pull out the cartridge when the extractor goes Hasta-La-Bye-Bye... One helped save my match that day; when the extractor goes down, you can keep using the rifle, you just need to extract the case manually.

The concept of a bolt holster is not new; it's a BR thing, where bolt removal between stages is mandatory. The holsters are nicely made, but I don't think they are designed with the rigors of PRS in mind. IMHO, one of those smaller handgun 'purses' could be a possible choice.

Greg

Last edited:
Some folks don't carry extra bolts, they prefer to transport their rifles with the bolt removed in a separate case.

This is the situation I have. I carry my rifles in double soft cases now because the Pelican cases are just a pain in the butt to lug around. I'd rather pack the bolts out of the action when in transit.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is the situation I have. I carry my rifles in double soft cases now because the Pelican cases are just a pain in the butt to lug around. I'd rather pack the bolts out of the action when in transit.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I just ordered a double soft case for this exact reason. Carrying around a Pelican 1750 just for the range was getting annoying -They are what; 15-20 pounds empty?

I just ordered a double soft case for this exact reason. Carrying around a Pelican 1750 just for the range was getting annoying -They are what; 15-20 pounds empty?

something like that. When you have 6 to 8 rifles you lug around at times the hard cases get annoying as hell.

I also use double soft cases (I have one of the Midway bags) for the same reason, but I was curious if you could elaborate on why you want to transport the bolt separately? I haven't ever taken my bolts out for transport and was wondering if this was personal preference or if there was a reason for it that I'm missing.

I also use double soft cases (I have one of the Midway bags) for the same reason, but I was curious if you could elaborate on why you want to transport the bolt separately? I haven't ever taken my bolts out for transport and was wondering if this was personal preference or if there was a reason for it that I'm missing.

Mostly personal preference. I prefer to limit the chances of the bolt protrusion bouncing off of the other rifle in the case, yes I understand there is a thin pad between them. I know some guys here don't care about a few bumps and wear but I don't beat my stuff up.

Buy bottle of alcohol (Crown Royal comes to mind).

Enjoy the alcohol

Use the bag that comes with bottle for the bolt...
That’s it boys, pack it up. This thread is done.

Mostly personal preference. I prefer to limit the chances of the bolt protrusion bouncing off of the other rifle in the case, yes I understand there is a thin pad between them. I know some guys here don't care about a few bumps and wear but I don't beat my stuff up.
Fair enough, that makes sense. The only other rifles I ever carry in the bag with my match rifle are an AR and a cheap Savage 12FV with an Athlon Argos BTR on it, so avoiding the other rifle getting bumped by the handle wasn't even really on my radar. I do always put the match rifle on the left side of the bag though, which prevents any other guns from bumping it.