• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater (Book Forum) reviews of good reads!

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I have decided to start a thread on books worth reading. I will try to post some good reads here over the next couple days. I will start with my last read,

Leopards Kill by Jim De Felice

Just finished this novel and was wondering what other people's thoughts were who also read it. Overall I would say it was worth reading and an interesting story. I read a review saying it was gritty but there was no graphic gunshot detail throughout except maybe two times. The characters were well described and interesting.

Re: (Book Forum) reviews of good reads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to start a thread on books worth reading. </div></div>

I will add a few.

Sniper or sniper related;
    "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. This is a must read, I could not put it down and will likely read it again. 5 out of 5 stars. non-fiction 2005 history
    "Cold Zero inside the FBI hostage rescue team" by Christopher Whitcomb. Great read and have gone through it a couple times. 5 out of 5 non-fiction 1990's history
    "Kill Zone" by Jack Coughlin. It was ok, but found my mind drifting to other things while reading, 2.5 out of 5 stars.
    fiction

Non-sniper related;
    "Rogue Warrior Dictator's Ransom" by Richard Marcinko. If your a fan of his other books you will like this one but I found my mind drifting alittle 3.5 out of 5 stars. fiction

I try not to read anything fictional

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-One-Blistering-British-Battle/dp/0718149947 Sniper one by Dan Mills, ive read this three times now and its still a great book

Hogs in the Shadows-

http://www.amazon.com/Hogs-Shadows-Combat-Stories-Snipers/dp/0425217515 I was a bit dissapointed with this, some of the Chapters just wandered without any real point or structure

Long Rifle-Joe LeBleu

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Rifle-Snipers-Afghanistan-ebook/dp/B001IKK8H6

Was also v excited when this hit the mailbox but was a tad dissapointed too, content was good but i felt he spent a lot of time blowing his own trumpet (he has the right to do so from his achievements) but didnt make good reading in my opinion

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse
    BY James Wesley Rawles, 5 out of 5 hands down. This book was written so well for a first time author that if he does do another novel it would be hard to keep it up to par with this one.

Prey
    By Michael Crichton, 5 out of 5. This was a great thriller with a great story from the start to the finish.
    The only time you put it down is when you turn the last page. I don’t know of any other author who could have built a disturbing story about nanoparticles and had the story be as compelling and nerve racking as some of his earlier work like Sphere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Hogs in the Shadows-

http://www.amazon.com/Hogs-Shadows-Combat-Stories-Snipers/dp/0425217515 I was a bit dissapointed with this, some of the Chapters just wandered without any real point or structure
    </div></div>

Liking anything military history, I agree, it did wander about.

Has anyone read the new book out called"Sniper Ace" about a German sniper during WWII,looks like it might be good read,unfortunately hard cover only at the moment was $32.00 at Barnes and Noble store.

Just finished "State of Fear" by Micheal Chrichton. It's an action novel about how an established environmental organization generates disasters in order to keep the donations coming. The underlying message is that Global Warming is largely speculation and that the actual data does not support the theory. It is the first time I can remember reading a novel with footnotes and a bibleography.

A good read? Wow where do I start? I read on average one book a week and been doing so for most of my life. I'm retired now. For fiction I recommend the Reacher novels by Lee Child and also Nelson DeMille novels especially "Night Fall". Some good non-fiction would be "Shadow Divers" and "No shortcuts to the Top" a mountaineering book.
    Also an excellent book is "When the poor boys dance" a story of a young Marine who was left behind as a road guide in the Mojave desert outside 29Pams base. Is is especially relevant to me as I was living near the base and remember the news stories when they found him. Great story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to start a thread on books worth reading. </div></div>
    It is a very good idea. If you are interested in sharpshooting, this one is like taking a year of schooling on black powder. The writing is superb, the research fantastic!

21opi0z.jpg

5megsw.jpg

and it is very well put together. You can order it by clicking here.

Also look for <span style="font-style: italic">"Point of Aim: Point of Impact"</span> by Jay Taylor. Jay was a scoutsniper for 7th Marines in RVN. It'll be released soon, and should provide a more realistic view of Vietnam from a sniper's point of view than most people are accustomed to. His section on confirmed kills should generate a lot of discussion on the internet...

Also look for this one sometime early summer. You'll like it.

156qmtt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try not to read anything fictional

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-One-Blistering-British-Battle/dp/0718149947 Sniper one by Dan Mills, ive read this three times now and its still a great book
    </div></div>

I just read this one myself and enjoyed the hell out of it. Mills does a great job telling the story and I was really impressed with his attitude.

Anything By Philip Carlo

Butcher... is my most recent read

In The Trenches 1914-1918, the story of Frank Iriam, Sniper SGT of the 8th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (Little Black Devils).

Frank Iriam wrote a memoir and asked his son to publish it, "...long after I am dead." His son, now retired and in his 70s, had it privately published in 2008. Because he knew his generation would have passed on by the time this book was published, this account is far more frank and honest than the old standards such as A Rifleman Went to War. The book includes the small details such as the use of registration shots and painful details such as a blunt recounting of PTSD episodes on the front lines. This is the intense account of a man who spent the entire war as a sniper, rising to become scouts, snipers, and observers section officer (an NCO in the CEF) in charge of recreating the section after he was the only seasoned sniper left, and was one of only 40 men of the original 8th Battalion to serve all the way through WWI.

ISniper by Stephen Hunter 2.5 out of 5. I liked the first two but he has lost his touch as an author. I think he must have been hit by a car and lost all memorie except that he was a writer and started up the series his previous mind was working on. Not a good read.

Shadow in the Jungle, Larry Alexander

Very informative book and laid out pretty well, although it is hard to keep track of people the way he jumps around.

Shooter, Jack Coughlin

interesting book about a guy that claims to be "The top ranked Marine sniper" I wonder if this is documented or just his personal take?

SOG, Maj. John Plaster

I really liked this book. Those guys went through hell, and I never realized the depth in which our military went in the black Physops programs.

I forgot to add in my previous post a book I recently read which was Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill Oreilly. He doesn't get into alot of politics, just why he believes like he does.

"The Only Thing Worth Dying For" by Eric Blehm.

About Special Forces ODA 574(?). First team in Southern A-stan after 9-11.

Guarded and worked with current president of A-stan, Hamid Karzai, to raise a militia to fight the taliban.

I am only on chpt. 5, so far it has held my attention almost as well as "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Hamid Karzai is the modern day William Wallace.

I will update yall on how the book was when I finish. So far, it has a lot of potential.

+1 on this book! Blehm obviously spent tons of time with the operators and other people associated with this event including Karzai. A great read, recommended highly.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: urhuckleberry21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Only Thing Worth Dying For" by Eric Blehm.

About Special Forces ODA 574(?). First team in Southern A-stan after 9-11.

Guarded and worked with current president of A-stan, Hamid Karzai, to raise a militia to fight the taliban.

I am only on chpt. 5, so far it has held my attention almost as well as "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Hamid Karzai is the modern day William Wallace.

I will update yall on how the book was when I finish. So far, it has a lot of potential. </div></div>

Anything by Douglas Preston and/or Lincoln Child. Currently delving through the J.D. Robb <span style="font-style: italic">... in Death</span> series. Jim Butcher's <span style="font-style: italic">Harry Dresden</span> mysteries. The SciFi ABC classics (Asimov (<span style="font-style: italic">Foundation</span>), Bradbury (<span style="font-style: italic">Something Wicked...</span>), Clarke (<span style="font-style: italic">2001, Rama</span>)), Heinlein (tons of stuff), Larry Niven (<span style="font-style: italic">Tales of Known Space</span>) and Jerry Pournelle (<span style="font-style: italic">Mote...</span>). Stuff by the Shaara's (<span style="font-style: italic">Killer Angels, Rising Tide</span>).

For starters..,

Greg

For great prices on books check out:

www.alibris.com

A few good ones:

-Brotherhood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen

-Born to Run by Christopher McDougal refered to me by another Hide member.

-The Art of War by Sun Tzu Im sure everyone on here has read it but I thought I'd post it.

-The Body Electric by Robert Becker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also look for <span style="font-style: italic">"Point of Aim: Point of Impact"</span> by Jay Taylor. Jay was a scoutsniper for 7th Marines in RVN. It'll be released soon, and should provide a more realistic view of Vietnam from a sniper's point of view than most people are accustomed to. His section on confirmed kills should generate a lot of discussion on the internet...

</div></div>

Just finished it in a little over 24 hours in my custody. Thumbs up, a good read. Not really a novel like many books I've read but more of a compilation of experiences and different operations conducted.

It was very interesting to read chapter29 "Confirmed Kills" and the Waves chapter34 "Sniper Myths" is sure to create. Calling, Charles Henderson!
    shocked.gif

The Last Ivory Hunter by Peter Capstick an excellent story of professional ivory hunter Wally Johnson exploits in Mozambique from his start at age 14 to his imprisonment and exile at the hands of the FRELIMO to his last days still persuing the tuskers in Zambia.

Valhalla's Child. A novel about Viet Nam written by a man who was obviously there - Arthur Pirkle. Well worth reading.

just finished Hunters by Milo Afong

156qmtt.jpg

I was a little disappointed, it’s a good read but more of an over-view of what has gone on in the last 9-10 years, not a gripping in your face play by play.

I am now half way through "The Last Wolf" by Thomas Cox and enjoying it much more.
    wolf.jpg

It follows his life story of trials and tribulations in the Marine Corps 1995-2004 and Chief Scout Sniper from 2000 to 2003

I like Sniper One by Mills. Thought it was a good read.

Hogs in the shadows by Aging was good but maybe a bit different

Not shooting per say but I enjoyed Hunting the Jackall by Waugh.

Just finished First Team by Larry Bond and Jim Felice.
    This book was worth the time to read. Top notch from the start to the end. The author knows his stuff and leaves you with the feeling that the story is real not a work of fiction. I would give it four stars if not five. The characters were well thought out and realistic to the way things are. If you like techno thrillers about SF teams this is it. I am starting on the second in the series so I will post how the others are as I finish them.
    Nice part is this book has been out for a little while so the books are all under $10

I would like more information about "Brotherhood of Warriors" before I buy it. Is it worth the read? Thanks.

I wasnt all that impressed with Hunters. It was ok, but not exactly a page turner.

Im currently reading War by Sebastion Junger. Great read so far.

If you like page turners, pick up anything by John Sandford!

As one that is self employed with sometimes more time on my hands (especially lately) than I like, I have read a lot. I thought I might pass on the names of some good books that I've read. If anyone has some others, please add them because I'm always looking for some new titles.
    These are in no order but are all good reads
    1. Sniper One by SGT. Dan Mills
    2. Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
    3. Victory Point by Ed Darack
    4. Long Rifle by Joe LeBleu
    5. The Sheriff of Ramadi by Dick Couch
    6. Down Range by Dick Couch
    7. Trigger Men by Hans Halberstadt
    8. Hogs in the Shadows by Milo Afong
    9. Ronin by Mike Tucker
    10. Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton
    11. The Mission, The Men and Me by Pete Blaber
    12. Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney
    13. Jawbreaker by Gary Bernsten
    14. SEALs by M. Bahmanyar w/ W. Cosman
    15. Hunting Al Qaeda by Anonymous
    16. House to House by SSG. David Bellavia
    17. A Bloody Business by Schumaker
    18. Making A Killing by Capt. James Ashcroft
    19. Highway to Hell by John Geddes
    20. Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden
    21. Silent Warriors by Charles Henderson
    22. US Navy Seawolves by Daniel Kelly
    23. The Element of Surprise by Darryl Young
    24. Dead Center by Ed Kugler
    25. Operation Dark Heart by Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer
    26. Hunters by Milo Afong
    27. War by Sabastian Junger - just finished this one in 24hrs.
    great read

A great Aussie book I have just finished reading is "SAS Sniper by Rob Maylor". Tells the real story of a modern day Sniper in the Australian SAS who has seen action in Northern Ireland, East Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq. A good read, down to earth, and tells it as it is and not gung-ho like some I've read. 9-10

Looks like a lot of great reading here.

I have read of the books that Vince Flynn has written (10)and they are all good. Fiction about agency ops.

A book captioned Con Thien, cannot recall the author and no longer have the book. Written about the Marines and Leatherneck square in Vietnam. Non fiction.

Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury. He describes the Tora Bora operation fron his point of view. He was the on the ground Delta officer in the area.

Ghost Wars by Stephen Coll. Non Fiction involving Afghanistan and Pakistan back many years, Describes many hickups by the agency and DOS.

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor. non fiction. The story about the planning etc of operation Anaconda. Very detailed, but interesting. Lotta politics and mistakes by senior folks. I work in that part of the world and when not involved in activity all you really have time for is the gym or reading. Some very good suggestions here.

A great may of the good books I have read have already been mentioned, but few of my favorites are :

Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall
    The Centurians By Jean Larteguy
    The Pratorians by Jean Larteguy
    Thud Ridge by Col. Jack Broughton
    Going Downtown By Col. Jack Broughton

There are many others including Street Without Joy --Bernard Fall, and for fun the Jack Reacher series

Chickenhawk By Robert Mason
    Guns Up by Johnnie M. Clarke
    Mission M.I.A. by J.C. Pollock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shooter, Jack Coughlin

interesting book about a guy that claims to be "The top ranked Marine sniper" I wonder if this is documented or just his personal take?

</div></div>

Read this one last week. Thought it was a pretty good read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mailman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like more information about "Brotherhood of Warriors" before I buy it. Is it worth the read? Thanks.
    </div></div>

Any takers on this book?

and what about "Roberts Ridge"?

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor. non fiction. The story about the planning etc of operation Anaconda. Very detailed, but interesting. Lotta politics and mistakes by senior folks. I work in that part of the world and when not involved in activity all you really have time for is the gym or reading. Some very good suggestions here.

The above book gets into operation Anaconda and specifically Roberts Ridge and all the confusion that took place. The lack of command and control and communication are very evident in this book and no punches are held back.

"The Mission, The Men, and Me" - Peter Blaber. A former Lead w/in The Unit presents methods to 'Develop The Situation' in combat environments and when leading troops into battle.

Peter's style reflects calm discipline, professionlism, context-based decision making, non-bravado, and humor. Highly Recommended!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mailman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mailman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like more information about "Brotherhood of Warriors" before I buy it. Is it worth the read? Thanks.
    </div></div>

Any takers on this book?

and what about "Roberts Ridge"?
    </div></div>

Brotherhood of Warriors is a tremendous book.