• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Book recommendations for reading the wind?

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I would like to start reading up on how to read the wind. Can some of you recommend books that helped you learn and understand the skill. I know that it takes practice but knowing what to practice is a place to start.

Imagine water flowing across the terrain.

Second item in the list will help. Trigger Time behind a rifle, watching vegetation, watching mirage, giving your best estimate, and learning from your results is probably the best advice. Reference materials will help but experience is the best teacher.

Reactions: aam
Observe
Record
Rinse and repeat.
In my experience you can learn some tricks of the trade but the bigger factor is experience.

Bryan Litz’s ‘Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting’ has a chapter that is pretty good

"The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters" has a couple nuggets in it for a field shooter, but it is entirely geared toward square range paper shooting. It deals heavily with shooting with wind flags and formulas and strategies for across the course type shooting. There is very little that is applicable to unknown distance field shooting.

Plus...it is currently unobtanium because it has been out of print for some time. The copies that show up on fleabay go for stupid money ($75 or more).

Amazon has been stringing people along with a promise of a new printing for 2 years now. I literally had it on pre-order for over a year. I cancelled that order a year ago, and it STILL hasn't been released! I vented my frustration on another forum and a kind member gladly sent me his. I read the whole thing from cover to cover and didn't learn anything applicable to field shooting that I didn't already know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally some of the best wind instruction I’ve found is the online training course here.

Different way to skin a cat.

Before you spend money in a book and throw rounds down range...

Look for a local 1-2 day class.

You will learn more and save $ at the end of the day.

Why do you want to do it? It sounds interesting

Last edited:
Recently, I read The Enzyme Factor written by Hiromi Shinya. Probably the most informative book regarding health and wellness I've ever read. Not only are many health benefits regarding diet revealed but also a significant history of patients results are mentioned. I really enjoy it
What does this book have to do with the subject of the OP (reading wind)?

Not sure where you are located but a class with Norm Crawford on wind reading is worth the price of admission. He does them from time to time at the Range Complex. It’s near Fort Bragg.

I would like to start reading up on how to read the wind. Can some of you recommend books that helped you learn and understand the skill. I know that it takes practice but knowing what to practice is a place to start.
Nancy Tompkins has an excellent chapter on wind in her book “Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting”

When I took a class last summer the recommended wind book was The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters by Linda K. Miller and Keith A. Cunningham. I saw some on Amazon, think I picked up a copy from eBay. There's charts, graphs, some photos (say if the wind is X, then the flag looks like Y.) There's a section with tips/tricks from different competitors. It was a nice supplement to the class and if I hadn't gone would have been at least a decent start to learn from.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
Doc,

Are these volumes stand alone or updates. Do you recommend getting V1 and working though V3, or get V3 for the most up to date info?
They're stand alone volumes. If you check out the Applied Ballistics website there's chapter breakdowns. I've got Volume 2 of that series and while it makes reference to other books, it's almost more like a set of individual standalone chapters they put into book form. It's good stuff, charts, photos, explanations that are easy to read, yet contain all the data and information.

Doc,

Are these volumes stand alone or updates. Do you recommend getting V1 and working though V3, or get V3 for the most up to date info?
They are actually a continuation. Some studies are in all 3 (meaning future research material is added on). So if you grab version 3 it will reference things from 1 and 2 you might be missing.