• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Book Suggestions?

CopperCreekAmmo

Custom Ammunition Maker
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I recently read...

Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper by Jack Coughlin

It was a great book and an inside look at modern sniper activity and in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does anyone know any similar books that are worth the read?

Re: Book Suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triggermen, for sure. </div></div>

ill have to check that out...thanks

Wasn't that impressed with "Shooter" just seemed like a lil much of the "horn tooting of oneself". Give'm props for being there an what was done.
BUT...if you would like a good book check out: "The Longest Winter"...its about Battle of the Bulge
Also One Shot One Kill....among the sniper topic

Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury was suggested in another thread. Good book, lots of info on how Delta worked in the Tora Bora Mountains after 09/11.

bravo two zero was a pretty good read, and if you are lookin for some fiction, w.e.b griffen's books are pretty damned good i think

I just finished <span style="font-style: italic">Horse Soldiers</span>. It's about the first group of SF guys in Afghanistan. I thought it was a great book.

Also, <span style="font-style: italic">Lone Survivor</span>. By far, the best book I have ever read.

My picks.

Aesop's fables

Dr. Suess "the Sneeches"

December 96 Playboy featuring Jenny Mcarthy

Guns and weapons for law enforcement

Anarchists cook (don't buy online)

Clifford the big red dog

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (this one I actually mean)

Bloom County

Oh and Barnes Reloading manual. (not as good as sierra but enlightening)

flowers-for-algernon-book.jpg

As one that is self employed with sometimes more time on my hands (especially lately) than I like, I have read a lot. I thought I might pass on the names of some good books that I've read. If anyone has some others, please add them because I'm always looking for some new titles.
These are in no order but are all good reads
1. Sniper One by SGT. Dan Mills
2. Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
3. Victory Point by Ed Darack
4. Long Rifle by Joe LeBleu
5. The Sheriff of Ramadi by Dick Couch
6. Down Range by Dick Couch
7. Trigger Men by Hans Halberstadt
8. Hogs in the Shadows by Milo Fong
9. Ronin by Mike Tucker
10. Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton
11. The Mission, The Men and Me by Pete Blaber
12. Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney
13. Jawbreaker by Gary Bernsten
14. SEALs by M. Bahmanyar w/ W. Cosman
15. Hunting Al Qaeda by Anonymous
16. House to House by SSG. David Bellavia
17. A Bloody Business by Schumaker
18. Making A Killing by Capt. James Ashcroft
19. Highway to Hell by John Geddes
20. Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden
21. Silent Warriors by Charles Henderson
22. US Navy Seawolves by Daniel Kelly
23. The Element of Surprise by Darryl Young
24. Dead Center by Ed Kugler

Atlas Shrugged- By Ayn Rand

To see what will become of your country unless we all take a stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't that impressed with "Shooter" just seemed like a lil much of the "horn tooting of oneself". Give'm props for being there an what was done.
. </div></div>

I didn't see it that way. To really become an accomplished shooter, it is a mind sport more than a physical sport. He gave us insight into his personal mind game. That is the way I read it, not as chest pounding for chest pounding's sake. Shooting PEOPLE adds a whole additional element to the mind game and he covered this as well.

Point of Impact, the inspiration for the movie Shooter, as well as other books by the same author (Stephen Hunter) while fiction are an entertaining read.

If you're looking for a more instructional book this is worth a look at. I never took the "Queen's Shilling" myself, but use some of the techniques in my hunting and long(ish) range shooting and had a thumb throught this book on my way to learning a little more....

"Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills" by Mark Spicer

I second Spicer's book, and Moby Dick.

Top Ranker Shooter was beat to death here in 06. The mortarmen and machine gunners still laugh at "confirmed kills." What a crock.

"Legion of the Lost". Good book about a Mechanical Engineer from Purdue University that got sick of the corporate world and joined the Foreign Legion. Don't really like the citizenship denouncing, but a good book about the training and route (mentally and physically). I read it on my last deployment and really enjoyed it.

<span style="font-style: italic">Legionnaire: Five Years in the Foreign Legion</span> by Simon Murray is a really good read about the Legion. Murray went on to become a billionaire after the Legion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Soldier-Guy-Sajer/dp/1574882864

It was required reading for the senior NCO's at one time.
</div></div>

Great read, especially since the war on the brutal Eastern Front in WW2 is generally somewhat of an unknown to many of us in the west. Also, see "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor if the first choice agrees with ya!

+1 on The mission the men and me. I don't think that Stanton did a very good job on Horse Soldiers. Atkinson? The guy who wrato an Army at Dawn has some very good books out there.

'Unintended Consequences' by John Ross.
An excellent book about government using too much power, then being brought to heel by conservative folks.
A long but awesome read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: companyclerkASA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lone Survivor best book I've read in several years.
</div></div>

I finished this yesterday. Great read; a real "page burner" i really enjoyed it.