• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Boot choice opinions

WarriorPoet19

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
PA
www.precisionrifleseries.com
For the last 2 years I've been running a pair of 5.11 Atac 8 inch boots and they have taken a heavy beating are still holding up great. I am looking to get into mid height for this year but will still be able to take a serious amount of use, and am not sure between a few choices of which to go with. Any opinions on these boots or other suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance

Soloman Forces Speed Assault
Lowa Z6s/Zephyr
Lowa Innox

Have you looked at any offerings from Danner or Merrell? I have several pairs of both depending on what I am using them for.

I swear by Danners. I've been wearing the same pair for the last 5 years. They have held up great. Currently I wear the Danner Kinetics and I'll definitely buy another pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a pair of Danners for 14 years and have had them resoled 3 times, still going strong and are the most comfortable pair of boots I have.

Another Danner fan here. I have a pair I was issued (RAT combat boots) that have walked my ass on 4 continents over the last 4-5 years and are still holding up. Could use a resole soon. From day 1 the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

Danner boots, Superfeet insoles, Fox River socks.

Reactions: NY700
I'm in my second pair of Danner Acadia boots over the past 16 years of duty use, love them. Also liking my Salamanca Quest hiking type boots for the past 2 years worn for both duty and off, a little warm in the hot months, but still a good boot. IMO

Lowa, Asolo- have both and they are great. Not a fan of Danner, they don't fit my feet right. Boots opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Go to an REI or similar store and try a bunch on for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I love my Lowas, super comfortable right out of the box. I always hated the break in period on Danners, IMHO it was the most miserable break in of any boot I've ever worn. BUT, if you're willing to suffer the break in, Danners eventually become very comfortable and durable. Just realize that for at least a week or two wearing them every day, you're going to positively hate life while Danners break in (at least in my experience).

As as much as I love my Lowas, I'll acknowledge that my Danners are tougher. However, Being able to pull them out of the box and go right to work and still get many years of solid use out of them is a huge bonus.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Another Danners fan here. On my second pair now and the first pair lasted 6-7 years and only replaced due to wanting new boots :)

Danner DFA. These boots wear like a pair of Mizuno running shoes. Yeah, I said that. I'm currently on my second pair. The first pair lasted 4+ years & I finally quit wearing them when I could see my socks through my boots. But, they were still comfortable! The break in period on the first pair was a bit uncomfortable but the second pair was easier. These boots were abused. The second set is getting more polish to stretch their lifespan.

I used to wear Danner Acadia, Ft. Lewis & Olympia boots. I've had my fair share of plantar fasciitis issues & that is why I initially moved to the DFA. The DFA are the most comfortable & durable boots I've ever worn.

I still have a pair of Danners I bought almost 20 years ago when I was in the Army. They've been resoled a few times, but have held up incredibly well. I have another 5 or 6 pairs of Danner boots, so consider me a fan. I also have two pairs of Rocky boots that I really like. I haven't worn Salomon boots, but I've owned several pairs of their trail running shoes and I wear the Speedcross 3 in matches.

Ordered the Solomon Speed Assaults about a month ago. Couldn't find them anywhere to actually try them on and see them in person, but I really like them so far. Very light weight and feel more like a running shoe then boots. Can't comment about longevity at this point.

I've got a pair of Danner Fort Lewis. Great boots for hunting or miltary use, very hardwearing, and comfortable, but heavy too.

I'm looking at getting a pair of Hanwag Banks boots for daily use.

Danner, I love mine, some comfortable and they have seen some.abuse from mostly hunting some bad terrain

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Ordered the Solomon Speed Assaults about a month ago. Couldn't find them anywhere to actually try them on and see them in person, but I really like them so far. Very light weight and feel more like a running shoe then boots. Can't comment about longevity at this point.

Trying on footwear these days has become increasingly difficult because A: You cant find a B&M store that inventories these types of boots very often and B: Very few if any stores,salespersons even know how to properly assess and fit a boot or shoe...
Foot shape and type dictates what I wear and Salomons are a good compromise.

I have Fred Flintstone wide feet and I use the Reebok duty boots and they are truly awesome for comfort

Niko, I wear 3E to 5E. Looks like Reebok show a simple Wide size. Comments?

Danner 2E too narrow. I know they now have a few models in really wide sizes.

Bates, Thorogood, New Balance are my usual go-to for wide sizes. Any others you recommend?

I wear ECCO dress shoes that are 10EEE and these Reeboks are the only hiking boots that I have found that fit as well as them. Totally comfortable even on long treks carrying a GSII pack with an AR in the scabbard. I don't think they offer the support of a Danner but I cant wear those for long periods. I find them too heavy, too narrow and they don't breathe as well as the Reeboks.

If you buy the Reeboks from Zappos and they don't fit, they have a no hassle money back policy. They refund your purchase right away and provide free return shipping. That is where I got mine. I always have to buy from somewhere that has a try it program as I have run into too many manufacturers that say wide but don't really know what wide is.

Reactions: STROP
I'm currently rocking Salomon Forces XA Pro 3D Mid and Quest 4D GTX boots depending on weather conditions and type of shooting. I believe the Forces models of these are just reskinned commercial offerings, so you would do well to read the reviews of those. The Quests are a hiking boot and I've found them real comfy, but as is common with these type of boots if you need any real tactility in your feet then look elsewhere. The XA Pro 3D Mid has a lower shank, weighs less, and is more breathable than the Quest, but is built off the same chassis so it's very supportive and much easier for daily wear. I'd consider and recommend them (in Mid height) as the next step up in burliness from the Forces Speed Assault model, which I have no experience with. The biggest difference between the XA Pro 3D (Mid) and Speed Assault appears to be the sole/lug design, so I'd examine those to see which is best for your use.

I have a pair of 5.11 ATACs as well, but I wear them a lot less now that I have the Salomons. I don't believe Salomon boots are available in any wide sizes either, so be warned. Those Z6S Lowa boots get good reviews, but none of wide footed friends can wear Lowa boots comfortably so be aware. For wide feet, I'll echo the Reebok suggetions - my wide footed friends really like them.

Last edited:
I really like my Lowa Gortex Zepher boots. I put a set of super feet insoles in them and they are a perfect boot.
For a more hard wearing boot, I would look at Kenetrek boots from Eurooptic.com

Lowa for me. You are going to have to go try some boots on your own feet to decide. They are all built a little bit differently (volume, last construction...). Don't buy without walking around the store with them first.

I have a pair of Lowa LL Renegades that i really like. Ive had them for 2 years now and they are hilding up well. They are a very comfortable boot.

Lowa Zephyr with a great insole for out of the box comfort. I moved up a size with Lowa. Try before you buy.

Lowa's generally run true to size to your running shoe. If you have narrow feet, Lowas are hard to beat. You guys with the Fred Flintstone feet have a lot more options...

BTW, I run a ZX-8 (basically, a Zephr without the goretex). Great warm weather/daily wear boot.

I'm running a pair of oakley assault boots. They're great boots, but climate specific. Extremely vented, which doesn't work too well in cold wet climates. Great boots to wear in the summer hot months though. Extremely light and comfortable.

I wear Danner Radicals GTX. Light boot, wear like running shoes. Use a pair up in two years of everyday use, but that's hard use. On my fifth pair, so ten years of the same boot. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to find another boot.

Not the same type of boot, but I like danner pronghorns for hunting boots. I have a non-insulated and an 800 gram thinsulate pair. Both have been in the Colorado mountains and Texas river bottoms without issues. Tough yet comfortable. I'd check out something by danner.

Checking out the Danners, what makes the Rivot worth $320? Used to wear the Stryker GTX and it was awesome, but not durable.

One more thing, don't know why my post count is so low, I joined on scout a while back and have been on here not as long as some, but longer than a week.

God bless America

I wear Crispi Guides to work every day. Have worn Red Wings for many years. Tried a pair of Danners.
Crispi, best I've ever worn.

I have been a Danner fan for many years... They wear well and after a couple days break-in fit like a glove. However..... I had a friend talk me into a pair of Lowas Renegades last year and I have been very happy with them in both fit and comfort. I still don't think they will last like a pair of Danners but they are holding up better than I expected after 8 months... most of that hard use in fall and winter.

I've used Lowa, Danner--multiple models, Bates, 5.11, Nike, Reebok. Bellville--multiple models and Rocky over the past 19 years in the military both CONUS and deployed. Hands down, Lowa Zepher is the lightest, form fitting and fatigue fighting boot I've ever owned---and you can run in them without it feeling like cinder blocks tied to your feet.

Solomon Forces Quest 4D boots are definitely the best I have worn. Almost a quarter shank I believe. They have all day ankle support but still allow you to take a knee no problem.

You might want to take a look at Keen;
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/davenport-mid-al-waterproof

I don't remember the name of mine, but the closest, present day model appears to be the "Davenport". They are lightweight, totally waterproof and extremely comfortable. I'd suggest you consider getting a pair of Gel Insoles (Dr. Scholl's) as well as a good pair of thick, Smartwool brand socks. Heavenly, and comfortable.

I've never had a pair of Danners, but I hear a lot of good things about them. There are also a lot of people that swear by Lowa. I had a pair briefly, but I returned them. The plastic on the soles was extremely hard and was really slick when walking on a wet, smooth concrete floor. If that isn't an issue for you, I think Lowa makes nice stuff.

I wear mid height Danner boots on a daily basis. I go through a pair every year (glue on soles). The better Danner boots with stitch down soles are very durable and much better built. I wore a pair of Danner Grouse hunting boots for years. For a narrow foot, Lowa boots are hard to beat. The best mid-height boot I have personally worn is the Scarpa Kinesis Pro. [h=2][/h]

I liked my Danners (stitch-down variety) for durability, but Lowas just can't be beaten in my opinion. As many have noted, they're good-to-go right out of the box, and hold up reasonably well. I threw a pair of green Superfeet in there, and never looked back!

Last edited:
Second the Salomon Quests. I run them as my summer hunting boot.

Hanwags for the winter, they are the most comfortable boot I have used.

i was wearing UA speedfreaks and recently switched to Saloman quest 4D boots. The Saloman have a lot of ankle stability and foot support and so far have been a great boot on a couple of 3-5 mile hikes around WNC.

Lowa Renegade fan here. Had Danner & Merrill's & liked them, But Lowa's are more comfortable. Made in Italy, I believe.

I would never try to talk you out of Danner or Lowa, especially since you do not have wide feet. Both are great boots. Solomons don't hold up well and I would not suggest them.

La Sportiva is what I have worn the last few years and they are excellent. Durable, light, comfortable, and they support the sport.

This is the boot I have: http://www.sportiva.com/men-s/men-s-footwear/core-high-gtx.html

I love my Salomon Quest 4d GTX. They fit very true to size and are very comfortable. I found mine on Amazon for $152.

All great options mentioned above. I like the lowas a lot.
The past few years I've been sporting a pair of Oboz and love them. Super comfortable, good grip on wet rocks and everything els. Only downside is they don't go up the very high, just above the ankle for me. I also still rock the Altama's as well for when the oboz are suited for what I'm doing

Good to know I'm not the only one that likes the Reebok boots. I have wide feet, and run the 6" version. I tried using some Solomon Speedcross shoes. I can definitely see the appeal, but for my own fit (with wide-ish feet), I just couldn't run them comfortably.