• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bootlace pistol rest

Re: Bootlace pistol rest

DSCN1911.jpg

the pistol is off screen but i found if you do the inbred slingshot with trees as anchors you can shoot effectively to 3 miles

DSC_0592.jpg

I'll chime in on a more serious note. When my dad first let me shoot his .44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk he showed me a technique that he used in the deer woods for off-hand stability. He used a piece of parachute chord that was tied in a large loop. He put his head and one arm through the loop much like a single-point sling. Then he placed the rope on the front edge of the grip and pushed forward. This provided some tension and a little more stability than just holding the gun. I agree that using a tree or some other object would be more appropriate if available. I think the idea of pushing forward on something that has tension pulling back has merit toward holding that something more stable. However, using the mouth as the anchor point is unrealistic in my view unless I was down to one arm and had to shoot unsupported for some reason. Never give up though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll chime in on a more serious note. When my dad first let me shoot his .44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk he showed me a technique that he used in the deer woods for off-hand stability. He used a piece of parachute chord that was tied in a large loop. He put his head and one arm through the loop much like a single-point sling. Then he placed the rope on the front edge of the grip and pushed forward. This provided some tension and a little more stability than just holding the gun. I agree that using a tree or some other object would be more appropriate if available. I think the idea of pushing forward on something that has tension pulling back has merit toward holding that something more stable. However, using the mouth as the anchor point is unrealistic in my view unless I was down to one arm and had to shoot unsupported for some reason. Never give up though. </div></div>

I carry a section of 550 ripstop nylon when walking around with my 460.

When no other rest is ava....it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll chime in on a more serious note. When my dad first let me shoot his .44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk he showed me a technique that he used in the deer woods for off-hand stability. He used a piece of parachute chord that was tied in a large loop. He put his head and one arm through the loop much like a single-point sling. Then he placed the rope on the front edge of the grip and pushed forward. This provided some tension and a little more stability than just holding the gun. I agree that using a tree or some other object would be more appropriate if available. I think the idea of pushing forward on something that has tension pulling back has merit toward holding that something more stable. However, using the mouth as the anchor point is unrealistic in my view unless I was down to one arm and had to shoot unsupported for some reason. Never give up though. </div></div>

I carry a section of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">550 ripstop nylon</span></span> when walking around with my 460.

When no other rest is ava....it works. </div></div>

Not familiar with this type of fabric.

You mean 550 cord right? I think the trousers we were issued might have been made of this "nylon ripstop" stuff you use.

where exactly do you walk around with your .460 john wayne?

THANK YOU ALL!!! This thread has saved a otherwise horriable day! I'm gonna start buying my boot laces in 3's just so I can try this. I cant believe they never taught us this shooting position on Paris Island. Think of all the hours it could of saved practicing all the other positions. I mean how tacticool will I look to all the other mall ninjas when I whip out my pistol, wrap some string around it and hold on with my teeth. I'll be the coolest!!!!!!!

Seriously I know the old members are not suppose to attack new guys but can I? It's crap like this that give us new guys a bad name. Can I get a sticker or an avatar that seperates us none morons from this type of stuff????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dennis i think your doing it wrong, your supposed to wrap the lace around your neck twice and apply firm forward tension until enlightenment </div></div>

worked for Keith Carradine and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in Vietnam though he did play a Shaolin monk on TV and quite possibly stayed in a Holiday Inn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok let me see if I got this right
photobucket-3975-1330369480833.jpg

or maybe it goes like this
photobucket-5789-1330369480271.jpg

Maybe I need to try again </div></div>

Oh damn that is friggin hysterical.

I guess I can't where MultiCam footy pajamas in the field anymore.

where exactly do you walk around with your .460 john wayne?

Some of you guys must be city slickers.

Why my place.Paid for free and clear.

And since you mention John Wayne so will I.

I met him when he came into my dad's garage as a kid.
Dad brokered a set of two digit Colts to him and they became friends.

One of the Colts was brought back across the border by dad from mexico years before,but that is another story.

017.jpg

6-1-08003.jpg

6-1-08210.jpg
scan0039.jpg
MDGC0918.jpg
MDGC0438.jpg

I believe its gonna take more than a shoestring to string that one that aint hanging in the third pic up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe its gonna take more than a shoestring to string that one that aint hanging in the third pic up </div></div>

I tried taking that boar before he started to decline.
Three years later the wife got him between the eyes with her 30-378.

BTW

About that 100 posts.....I don't have anything for sale but I have bought something here already. <span style="color: #006600">X's and O's</span>

Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. How they react to whats been said. This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

Read more, post less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. <span style="color: #990000">How they react to whats been said.</span> This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

Read more, post less. </div></div>

And just how should I react?

I was brought up not take BS from anyone and the truth is it makes a good rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What, no West Virginia jokes? </div></div>
This technique would not work in WV. Key factor: Holding cord/lace in "teeth". Although the OP may have a WV technique which involves a "tooth" as opposed to "teeth".
Rat, nice pics but dunno how long those jeans would last after a shot or two with the brake on that 460. THAT would be an awesome youtube vid though. Right up there with tex an his serpa. But does have its place would be fun with varmints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohh by the way, nice hunting place. </div></div>

Thanks.

BTW....CC Texas....watching those two brothers from Corpus Christi right now racing the Daytona 500

I laughed so hard and so many times today from this thread, i just have to thank you all for participating.
Especially you dennisnielsen, aka "bootlace dennis"
you new "hide" name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. <span style="color: #990000">How they react to whats been said.</span> This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

I was brought up not take BS from anyone and the truth is it makes a good rest. </div></div>

React by proving your silly ass advice...Post up the video and then the rest of us that can shoot pistols will show you numerous ways to do it better, faster and with our shoes still tied.

Or you could just keep posting pictures of animals gathering around feeders.....wow who would have thought they would do that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. <span style="color: #990000">How they react to whats been said.</span> This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

I was brought up not take BS from anyone and the truth is it makes a good rest. </div></div>

React by proving your silly ass advice...<span style="color: #990000">Post up the video </span>and then the rest of us that can shoot pistols will show you numerous ways to do it better, faster and with our shoes still tied.

Or you could just keep posting pictures of animals gathering around feeders.....wow who would have thought they would do that! </div></div>

Do you only read books with pictures?

Either try it or don't.

I could not care less nor am I going to video tape anything for anyone.

It works, <span style="color: #990000">deal with it. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. <span style="color: #990000">How they react to whats been said.</span> This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

React by proving your silly ass advice...<span style="color: #990000">Post up the video </span>and then the rest of us that can shoot pistols will show you numerous ways to do it better, faster and with our shoes still tied.

Or you could just keep posting pictures of animals gathering around feeders.....wow who would have thought they would do that! </div></div>

Either try it or don't.

It works, <span style="color: #990000">deal with it. </span> </div></div>

I think we're beating a dead horse here. And I think you need to try and show some respect to people who have done this for a living. Just saying...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take time to look around on the site. Read the posts and get a feel for the site. How and what people post here. <span style="color: #990000">How they react to whats been said.</span> This will help you from making all Texans look like obnoxious idiots. I am sure you are not an idiot. However due to your posts I have not decided on the obnoxious part yet.

Either try it or don't.

It works, <span style="color: #990000">deal with it. </span> </div></div>

No, it doesn't work.

Come up with any situation your teeny little mind can imagine to utilize this technique and many here can come up multiple ways to do it better. Taking the time to unlace your shoes and jerry rig some type of tooth sling to make the shot is the apogee of DUMBFUCKITUDE!

For hell sakes, anyone with even decent pistol skills can ring a silhouette from 100yds standing with boring regularity.

And I think you need to try and show some respect to people who have done this for a living.

You mean like the respect that was shown tward a Scout Sniper that served this country that was called a BS artist for teaching me this?

Respect is a two way street,I am older than the guy that started the bashing to begin with.

I posted something that works for me,if someone thinks different...so be it,but don't be an ass about it.

<span style="color: #CC0000">1.Exercise common sense and be considerate toward your fellow users. Diversity of opinion and intelligent civil discourse is encouraged; by the same token, Personal attacks, rudeness, flaming, baiting, insults to others, or arguments will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.</span>

Am I to show respect to people that don't follow these simple guidelines? I will not.

Am I the one that started the insults? No,I just returned banter.

It reminds me of a grade school mentality of jumping on a newby with great numbers.

It's ok though,I was a redheaded stepchild so I'm use to it.

No, it doesn't work.

Come up with any situation your teeny little mind can imagine to utilize this technique and many here can come up multiple ways to do it better. Taking the time to unlace your shoes and jerry rig some type of tooth sling to make the shot is the apogee of <span style="color: #660000">DUMBFUCKITUDE</span>!

For hell sakes, anyone with even decent pistol skills can ring a silhouette from 100yds standing with boring regularity.

If you live long enough,you will get old and shaky one day and might need an edge.

My family has served in the Pacific,Europe and later wars.
None of them acted like such know it all snobs.

Is your inversion terminal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am older than the guy that started the bashing to begin with.
</div></div>

Age doesn't always reflect inteligence.... you have made this quite clear.

How did I miss this thread?

1b6nb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am older than the guy that started the bashing to begin with.
</div></div>

Age doesn't always reflect inteligence.... you have made this quite clear.
</div></div>

As have you by your anger posting icon and conflicting sig quote below.

Guys getting bent out of shape and arguing about stitching techniques on Sniper's Hide... Priceless

Take a mydol or maybe some fiber

Have to leave for a few days so carry on without me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote
And I think you need to try and show some respect to people who have done this for a living.

You mean like the respect that was shown tward a Scout Sniper that served this country that was called a BS artist for teaching me this?

Respect is a two way street,I am older than the guy that started the bashing to begin with.

I posted something that works for me,if someone thinks different...so be it,but don't be an ass about it.

<span style="color: #CC0000">1.Exercise common sense and be considerate toward your fellow users. Diversity of opinion and intelligent civil discourse is encouraged; by the same token, Personal attacks, rudeness, flaming, baiting, insults to others, or arguments will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.</span>

Am I to show respect to people that don't follow these simple guidelines? I will not.

Am I the one that started the insults? No,I just returned banter.

It reminds me of a grade school mentality of jumping on a newby with great numbers.

It's ok though,I was a redheaded stepchild so I'm use to it.

</div></div>

our position is that anyone who would teach you this probably is NOT a Marine Scout Sniper...nor have they ever been... unless maybe they were fucking w/ you...

but I personally think you're a moron that belives some guy was a Scout Sniper because he says so, and maybe he bought some cool shit at a gunshow that looks legit to your dumbass... then you tried said retarded shit he told you to do and since you can't hold that handcannon worth a shit, it helped a little, because the push pull method does provide some measure of stability... but no more than a good pistol shooter can do without said shoelace... the basic theory is often used w/ sub machine guns... of course it's used w/ a single point sling around a shoulder... but hey... we're all retarded because your "sniper" buddy says so...

you and your buddy are both the type of people I regularly run off from my shop and booth at gunshows, because you're too fucking retarded to buy quality anyway, always know better than those of us that do this shit daily, and can NEVER backup the bullshit which you spew out of your cock holsters...

accept a bet... prove your technique

bring your ass to oklahoma... if your technique proves better, I'll pay your travel expenses, pay you a grand, and post a video on here of me kissing your ass.... if not you cough up a grand and post a video saying you and said "sniper" are fucking retarded.

I'll even shoot at 100yds w/ a bone stock Glock 17 and hold it upside down.

is it a bet?

Come on Dennis...that's one hell of an offer there from Force Multiplier...strap on a pair or Foxtrot Oscar !

OK you said this guy is/was a SCOUT sniper meaning a Marine right? Now I know that I am not old enough to remember Vietnam, but I have read quite a bit and did a few reports back in high school. As far as I can remember the Marine's were never in Laos and Cambodia and if they were it was by accident. The only US forces who went there was your buddy John Wayne and the Green Berets along with some CIA types.

So based on your "sniper" being a Marine he is absolutely full of shit. He may be a vary nice person with the best intentions but full of shit none the less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He also trained most the San Antonio swat team.</div></div>

This is actually the only part about this whole thing that concerns me in even the slightest.

On a serious note...

Dennis, did HE tell you he trains the SWAT Team or did you come upon this information? Does he do it as part of a company, contract or out of the good will of his heart.

I am more than slightly concerned because it is not uncommon for someone to lie about their past/training in order to secure a contract. Many outside of the military don't take the time to verify it and "followers" around the water cooler don't have the means. Now if it's some drunk in the bar telling storied about this adventures into Laos and Cambodia, then I really don't give two shits. When you believe it and repeat it, it only makes YOU look like a fool. However if this is a LE Trainer who is making shit up, then he needs to be vetted, and when it's found that he is lying he needs to be burned at the stake.

Now regarding the bootlace technique......

It does nothing more for you than the push/pull of the support and firing hand in the isosceles and weaver.

You boldly state I should get out from behind the keyboard and shoot at 100 yards. I hate to break it to you, but I fire more rounds in one year than many police departments. We have plate racks at my home range from 100-375. With a 45acp Glock I have no problem dropping rounds into the 100 yard plate strong side only, once I get my holdover. Trijicon sights are a little coarse for that work, but it's not a big deal. The state academy's qualification course requires combat shooting at 50 yards. I have cleaned it more times than I can count. So I do know my way around a pistol. I was multiple award pistol expert when I was still in the Corps...so I have been able to shoot them for some time.

I also find it funny that you take the classic bullshit artist's exit when asked who this guys is. It would be a rather simple exercise for me to verify the veracity of his claims. In fact regardless of your BS answers I may still try to get a hold of the Tactical Commander of the San Antonio Team to see if he knows anything about boot lace.

Dennis, there are scores of guys on here who know me personally and know my background. Some have served with me. Some have shot matches with me. No one knows you. Your claims smell like the same bullshit that we have heard before and you refuse to give up information that can verify them.

If it wasn't for the SWAT Team comment I would have just chalked this one up to another internet train wreck.

I have read the initial post, but I'n not going to dig through nine pages of responses, most of which is O/T. While the concept described seems to me to put a bit of extra stress on the teeth, the whole idea has its basis in good physics, and previously known conventional practice.

A more conventional approach to the idea involves a pretty conventional pistol lanyard, used in an already long approved manner.

The shooter attaches the lanyard to the bottom of the pistol grip, where many grips already have an existing lanyard anchoring loop. The lanyard's length will need to be adjusted, and it is at this attachment point that such length adjustment should be made.

The other end of the lanyard has a loop that is passed over the head and rests loosely around the neck

Many shooters believe this loop is only intended to prevent loss of the handgun, so they pass their strong arm through it and secure it over a shoulder with an epaulet strap. Looks professional, but this approach defeats its ability to also serve as an accuracy aid.

By wearing the lanyard with its loop resting loosely around the neck, and adjusting the lanyard's intermediate length, it can be used to form the third leg of a tripod-like support when the handgun is thrust forward so the lanyard is taut when the arms are at full extension. Much steadier.

While the poster's suggestion duplicates the principal, the original basic lanyard concept can be used to achieve the same effect, while leaving the mouth and teeth free for other more conventional and useful purposes, like verbal communication.

Greg

Ok,I just could not resist looking before I left.

I had posted his full name then edited it because I would not want like kind done to me.

He was a SS and a San Antonio SWAT member that went by the handle of "Q",
R.Q. being his initals.

I had saved a SAPD officer's life in 89 or 90 when I still lived on my commercial property and started going on ride alongs for dog watch.

Q taught me the boot lace trick and I got better shooting distant targets.

A gold shield that went by the name of "Big Bird" told me the thing about Q being in Loas and Cambodia sniping the deck of cards.

I never confirmed it with Q.... thinking if he was with some alphabet agency he sure was not going to confirm it anyway....nor did I wan't to be the idiot that would ask such.

In retrospect...I never trusted Big Bird,he set up one of my married mechanics with a hooker and got free auto repairs for years.

Anyway,check all you want,I have to go to the ranch and fix the well.
Out

OH & BTW
Even though some of you guys are assholes........

Thank you for your service.

I can't resist.... Not mentioned so far is that:

1) The 'push-pull' as described in the original Weaver technique was designed to control recoil on follow-up shots;

2) This dynamic-tension type of support manages recoil only to a very limited extent and can be detrimental to controlling the bane of the accurate follow-up shot - muzzle whip;

3) The so-called 'bootlace technique' does not provide a rest, and there is no explanation as to how it adds support to the pistol.

This is like trying to reason with my wife's chihuahua. It doesn't matter how many times or how plain you make the dummy wont ever get it. They are just really really excited to keep doing the same stupid thing over and over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is like trying to reason with my wife's chihuahua. It doesn't matter how many times or how plain you make the dummy wont ever get it. They are just really really excited to keep doing the same stupid thing over and over again. </div></div>

At least the chihuahua hasn't yet managed the trick of posting here, right?

I have a couple of questions.

Should I use Black or Brown Shoe Laces?

Is there a better Length for this, such as laces off running shoes, or would standard boots be better?

Does Diameter of the shoelaces make a difference in group size?

Will MOA change at 300 Yards if I use Leather Laces off my loafers? You never know when you need to take a 300 yard shot with a pistol!

Should I use different color laces for semi-autos and revolvers? Or is it the same across the board?

If there is a change in POI because of different color laces, would you recommend wearing two different color laces, say brown on the left boot and black on the right depending on the distance and tactical situation?

Thanks in Advance...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A gold shield that went by the name of "Big Bird" told me the thing about Q being in Loas and Cambodia sniping the deck of cards......

if he was with some alphabet agency he sure was not going to confirm it anyway....

Anyway,check all you want....</div></div>

What you just relayed is pretty much every bullshit story I have ever heard about CIA/Black Ops in Vietnam.

You of course can believe anything you want. There is no money at risk and if he is/was actually a member of that department it's on them if they never checked his background. As long as no money is exchanging hands and he isn't trying to pull business with a bullshit story, then he can tell whomever whatever he wants. Bars are filled with guys who sling bullshit for free beer and fresh tail. It's a hot button for me because we are seeing a resurgence of it with the younger generation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dennisnielsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote
No, it doesn't work.

Come up with any situation your teeny little mind can imagine to utilize this technique and many here can come up multiple ways to do it better. Taking the time to unlace your shoes and jerry rig some type of tooth sling to make the shot is the apogee of <span style="color: #660000">DUMBFUCKITUDE</span>!

If you live long enough,you will get old and shaky one day and might need an edge.

My family has served in the Pacific,Europe and later wars.
None of them acted like such know it all snobs.

Is your inversion terminal?
</div></div>

When shaky comes into play there are several better options than your Magic Tooth Fairy Sling.

Thank your family for their service.

I'm still not sure what that has to do with knowledge of shooting or blindly defending bad ideas.

As to inversions of intelligence, you're setting the pace. Falling for and defending the Super Secret Air Force Dolphin Pistol Sniper story certainly puts you in terminal velocity territory, make sure to let us know how it goes for you.

Since you're feeling picked on, keep in mind this isn't the new kid dogpile. It is the inevitable conclusion to someone making silly claims and then defending them when confronted with objective evidence contrary to the bad info. It has often been said that "Being stupid is one thing, defending stupidity is quite another."
wink.gif