• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Boots and Pack Recommendation for Elk

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
This fall I will be elk hunting for my first year. I need a worthy pack and boots. I am considering the eberlestock warhammer or team elk for myself and can't decide between the two. I am leaning towards the team elk. I will have to quarter and de bone it and pack it out. For my wife I think I will get her the X2. She won't be hunting with me very much but we will also be doing some over night back country hiking trips.

For boots I am looking at Lowas but don't know what model. I will be primarily just day trip hunting but will be using them for up to 3 day backpacking trips. What mode would you guys recommend? Any recommendations on another brand?

I will also be using the X2 for field matches and which ever pack I get for myself will be for both 3 day pack trips and elk hunting. If there is a better pack for my wife with the same capabilities let me know guys.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat but I have made my decision on Crispi boots and I JUST bought a Kifaru EMR2 for my Elk trip come October. If you search here on the hide a few threads should turn up with some info.

For a pack I like the mystery ranch metcalf or been wanting to try the stone glacier. For boots kenetrek or a goretex trail runners for warmer weather.

I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX hi boots last year for my elk/mule deer/antelope hunting and I absolutely love them. I am positive that they are not the only good boots out there though. I think that any of the high end boots (Kenetrek, Lowa, Hanwag, etc) will serve you well, depending on exactly what you are looking for and your individual foot. There is no where around here to try any of these boots so I had to buy them online. I HIGHLY recommend Baker's in OR if you have to order them. They have a great return policy if you decide you don't like what you bought and they are extremely helpful on the phone to make sure you get what you want/need. They are hunters too. Lowa Boots | Danner | Hanwag | Wesco | Whites | Firefighting Boots | Baker's Boots & Clothing

As far as packs go, I am still hunting for my perfect pack. I have been through a couple so far and my next trial pack is most likely going to be from Mystery Ranch. I spent a lot of time checking them out at SHOT and I really liked them.

Last edited:
I've got a few buddies that recommend Kenetrek boots and either kuiu or kifaru packs. I'm looking at a Kuiu Ultra 6000 myself. It only weighs 3lbs 9oz.

xdeano

I searched high and low about 6 months ago for a good hiking book for trails here in the Appalachians and I ended up with Lowa Zephyr GTX TF's. I normally were a wide and was hesitant to try these but they fit great and had really no break in period. I wear them now as my daily boots and they have held up fantastic.

LOWA Boots USA / Zephyr GTX® TF

As for packs I sport around a G4 Operator (without scabbard) from Eberlestock but as I've been told I'm a gluten for punishment and carry way to much crap with me. Used it for two deer hunts and worked great just haven't had time to go again.

Damn, you guys are too high speed for me.

It's been a few years since my last elk hunt but I did fine with an ALICE pack and tennis shoes. Actually, I have some nice Irish Setter boots that have lasted for several years and are very comfortable. But at least half of the hunt was spent in tennis shoes, of course there was no snow during this hunt.

Thanks guys. I will go try on some Lowas this weekend. I would like a mystery ranch or kifaru but 600 for a pack just isn't in the budget right now. Keep the suggestions coming and any other info guys.
Thanks

Own Lowa, Meindl, Merrill, and Keen boots & I wear Salomon 4D GTX boots on back-country hunts. They fit my foot wonderfully, offer great arch support, nice wide footbed and NO heel slip. These boots are the closest I've come to feeling like I'm wearing sneakers. Waterproof, but not insulated...ideal for early-mid season, with a quality pair of Merino socks (read: Darn Tough) underneath...

As for packs, I've had an Eberle Gunslinger & Blue Widow. Now own a Kifaru Bikini frame, w/Highcamp bag. The Kifaru is head & shoulders above the Eberle, both in comfort & load carrying ability.

That said, Exo Mountain Gear has come out with a new series of packs. Those guys are hardcore back-bountry hunters, and really put their heads together when designing these packs...very well thought out. I have one of their Exo 3500s ordered, to use as a more compact day-hunt & 3-4 night back-country pack, with ability to carry 100+ lbs. of dead elk & gear. For longer excursions, I'd want the extra room of the 7000ci Highcamp.
Should have this new Exo 3500 within two weeks, and will load it up and put some miles on it. From the initial reviews, this Exo pack is ultra comfy, the titanium frame handles loads real well, and the price is quite a bit less than a flagship Kifaru or Stone Glacier pack.
Worth looking into, google 'em...

Hanwag boots from Lathrop and Sons, and Stone Glacier packs.

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Kifaru EMR2 with duplex frame. It's a $800 bill though! Should be the last pack I'd ever buy.

I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall (second rifle Colorado). I have ZERO experience elk hunting but I do have some time with a ruck on my back. I went with Zamberlan 960 Guide GTX RR for my boots and a Kifaru Timberline 5200ci with 1000ci top lid and tw large accessory pouches. I will be backpack hunting so hopefully my pack will be large enough. My pack and boots are working out great so far. I've been loading up the pack and going on walks over terrain in preparation. I also have a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault and MR SATL pack. The Kifaru is a purpose built hunting pack with large stays to help with the weight and I really like the hip belt and straps. Mystery Ranch makes a great product but the packs I currently have are purpose built military packs. Call Kifaru or Mystery Ranch and they will build you a pack for your body type. Torso measurements, waist size etc.

I wasn't in love with my Zamberlans at first. I ordered them online but after walking in them on some very rocky/hilly terrain they're growing on me. Very solid construction, quality materials etc. Anytime I put on a stiff mountain boot I'm not to excited but they really shine when you throw the pack on your back. Asolo Fugitives are my usual boots and are really hard to beat. Go to the store with the socks you plan on wearing and try on boots if you can. Since you're only planning on day trips/ 3 day hunts you can get away with a lighter/faster boot. I would go with the Asolo Fugitives or the Salomon 4D GTX. You can't go wrong with Lowa, Hanwag, Asolo, Zamberlan etc.

Thanks for the info guys. I settled on an eberlestock warhammer and lowa tibets. I would have like a mystery ranch or kifaru but they are out of my price range. The warhammer will be a capable of packing in a camp, becoming a day pack, and packing out meat. I will also possible use it for rifle field matches.

I am now on to looking for a camp stove, (jetboil or liquid?) A tent, (4 season or mountaineering around 200$?) Any input on those two would be great. I will be using all my gear between 7000 and 12000 feet in temps from 80 to 0°f from July to late October. Thanks for any input you guys have. I might start a new thread on it.
Thanks.

Thanks for the info guys. I settled on an eberlestock warhammer and lowa tibets. I would have like a mystery ranch or kifaru but they are out of my price range. The warhammer will be a capable of packing in a camp, becoming a day pack, and packing out meat. I will also possible use it for rifle field matches.

I am now on to looking for a camp stove, (jetboil or liquid?) A tent, (4 season or mountaineering around 200$?) Any input on those two would be great. I will be using all my gear between 7000 and 12000 feet in temps from 80 to 0°f from July to late October. Thanks for any input you guys have. I might start a new thread on it.
Thanks.

MSR DragonFly! I have been wanting to upgrade my Wisperlite to this but MSR makes a product that lasts and I have no real reason to upgrade.
MSR® DragonFly? multi-fuel camp stove.

Check out Northface and Mountain Hardware for tents. Both make tents that will fit your bill!

If you're on promotive.com check out Big Agnes. I have a 1 person Fishhook and it's a nice tent. I really want to get a floor less tipi in the future but the tent will have to do for now. To me floor less is the way to go. If inclement weather comes you can get in the tipi and you don't have to take off your boots, they have optional stoves etc.

I have a Jetboil but mine seems to be a little finicky. I have nothing else to compare it to so maybe that's just the way it is. Mine is an older model so I might be upgrading in the near future.

Last edited:
If you're on promotive.com check out Big Agnes. I have a 1 person Fishhook and it's a nice tent. I really want to get a floor less tipi in the future but the tent will have to do for now. To me floor less is the way to go. If inclement weather comes you can get in the tipi and you don't have to take off your boots, they have optional stoves etc.

I have a Jetboil but mine seems to be a little finicky. I have nothing else to compare it to so maybe that's just the way it is. Mine is an older model so I might be upgrading in the near future.

I have heard that about jetboil and other isobutane stoves as the pressure drops in the tank. I prefer liquid fuel stoves.

43af74e543c5bd799b3c64982bff6386.jpg

I ran an Eberlstock " dragon fly" last fall there is a front and rear quarter along with a Rem 700 300wm 5R in the pack. Been very happy with it.

Kenetreks look nice. I have a skinny ass foot, so that limits my choices a bit. I wear la Sportiva
mountaineering boots now and have no problems. Lots of steepness and sidehilling requires a stiff and solid boot imo.
I use a heavy but comfortable mountaineering pack for packouts. Makes the 80+ lbs loads doable.
Good luck

I use an Eberlestock X1 and Asolo TPS 520 boots. Best boots I've ever owned. Whatever boots you get make sure they're comfortable! It'll make or break your season.

Well the warhammer is back ordered so I have been considering the blue widow and mystery ranch's metcalf. Any hands on experience with them? I will be using them to pack in a spike camp and then day hunting from there and also occasion backpacking trips. I am going to start a new thread on those three. Thanks
Dan

I said it before and will again, no one and I mean no one can recommend a boot from the interweb. Do not care how any years, how many miles, how many love me posts they have, every foot is different and every boot will fit a foot differently. You have to understand foot type, boot construction and lasts, and fit boots in person to get the proper boot. Many male feet fit true female lasted boots best and vice versa. Arch length, toe length, notch, arch, foot type, ankles, etc to get match the last to the boot. Many of the boots recommended here have a tall post, very bad juju for twisted steep hard terrain but again, you can not fit boots from the interweb but many try. Most boot shops do not have a clue either as its an instant gratification buy for both the consumer and boot seller.

Over the years, 90% or so of the people I helped, had poor fitting boots but had no idea, high majority buy boots too big because they think that they fit better. While I have not worn, used or fit every boot out there, LaSportiva Makalu last is as close to a neutral last as I found. Italian boots seem to be more neutral, German less volume and narrow last but again, its a blanket statement for fitting boots. Volume is not wide!

The same goes for packs but packs have gotten better but we get recommendations on hang tags as the best pack but unless you have the pack fitted to you and then adjusted, you do not know how a proper fit pack feels.

Every user seems to be more concerned about the prestige of the hang tag Vs actual performance.

Most of the hag tag packs recommend at best are all too heavy. At 8 pounds empty pack from the recommended packs, I had my 4100ci Andinista pack, ID sleeping bag and ID / BD tent weighing around 8#. And I have carried on trail and backcountry over 100#, was it comfy, of course not but neither is #100 with MR or Eber.

Its my opinion just like everyone else who has one, the #1 premier pack in the world in MacHale and nothing even is close. But, your pack will fit you and no one else as it it custom fit and made to fit you.

Old jetboil used basic primus burner head prone to poor heat and lose the diffusing screen and no max heat. I have not used current one.

I have heard that about jetboil and other isobutane stoves as the pressure drops in the tank. I prefer liquid fuel stoves.

One of my pet peeves, not a personal attack, if you live and work in the backcountry and use your kit, stove in particular, cartridge isobutane stoves out perform liquid stoves. This false hood gets regurgitated over and over by those who either have never used one or do not know how to use a cartridge stove. I have used my Superfly down to 40 below many times over the years and it worked perfectly, full cart to empty.

Use only MRS iso fuel cartridge, nothing else, best performance there is across the fuel can. #2 is Primus. Both pressurize 330. Lindal value is used by all current major stoves. Bluet and puncture bye bye these days.

In very cold temperatures, run your Bic lighter under the fuel cartridge for 5 seconds or so and the pressure will increase instantly and perform at max instantly. Same as when the cartridge gets low in fuel, flick it and Bic and max heat.

At -40 I can guarantee that I will have some hot in my cup using my Superfly Vs you using your liquid stove by the time your stove gets assembled, primed, heated up and max output. Me, twist together, flick, instant max heat and I will be sipping hot by the time you get your stove primed.

If you want a base camp stove to burn long stretches over a full week or more, then liquid gas stove is superior for long term slow use.

no matter what, have fun

Last edited:
Thanks for your post 45.308 I always enjoy your posts and knowledge and was hoping you would jump in. I looked up wild things' andinista pack and also the gregory denali. How does the andinista do hauling meat? What is the frame type of the andinista, if there is one? On their website there is very little information and not a whole lot on the internet and non about hauling meat. The info on the denali was also a little bit lacking. I do like the idea of a sub 4 lb. pack for around $300. I looked at the mchale but they are out of my price range as with kifaru. The eberles are adjustable by the buyer and I have researched fitting a pack. Thanks.
Dan

Those mystery ranch packs are nice. I've got one that I use for everything. The waterproof zippers and high quality construction sealed the deal for me to keep it as my go to pack.

If your primary use is backpacking/hiking internal frame packs like the ones you have listed are all great options. If you're an odd ball hunter: hauling a lot of weight like taking your camp with you each day or taking on extreme terrain(most hunts don't require this). The extra comfort and having the weight more inline with your body is really beneficial. You really can't go wrong with any of the ones you listed.

If you're primary usage is hunting and you are like most hunters: use a base camp, not hiking extended distances daily and not taking on extreme terrain routinely.
A simple external frame pack will be your best friend. You really shouldn't need to carry much weight in the field with a base camp to return to at the end of the day making the comfort and balance far less important. In the event of a successful shot an external frame and a few clips/rope really shine. I can't stress enough how nice it is having a frame to directly hang cuts on. It really does make life so much easier. Odd shaped cuts are a pain to fit inside or tie to internal frame packs. No worry about ripped game bags creating a mess of items inside your pack when hooked to the frame either.

For boots, I highly recommend finding a local shoe store that can do laser measurements of your foot. Most people scoff at laser foot measurements, but it really is like a laser level. After you try out a pair of boots that truly fit you will wonder why anyone would do without it. After you have the 3D laser measurements you can chase the fancy name tags for boots that will fit you if you so desire. Money spent on properly fit boots will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable than fancy name tags.

I don't get to much into high speed gear or fancy brands for hunting. I'm a Irish Setter and Ketly kind of guy, but as always... define your specific needs in depth first and then search for your gear.

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Kifaru EMR2 with duplex frame. It's a $800 bill though! Should be the last pack I'd ever buy.

My EMR2 and accessories will be here Tuesday and I should have the Duplex frame in a few weeks at the latest. It is a lot of $ but I hope I picked the right bag. In all honesty I have another piece of Kifaru and I love it, so much as I was looking for a reason to buy a nice bag but didnt want to spend the $ on one till I had a genuine reason to drop all that $ on it.

My EMR2 and accessories will be here Tuesday and I should have the Duplex frame in a few weeks at the latest. It is a lot of $ but I hope I picked the right bag. In all honesty I have another piece of Kifaru and I love it, so much as I was looking for a reason to buy a nice bag but didnt want to spend the $ on one till I had a genuine reason to drop all that $ on it.

Thanks for your post 45.308 I always enjoy your posts and knowledge and was hoping you would jump in. I looked up wild things' andinista pack and also the gregory denali. How does the andinista do hauling meat? What is the frame type of the andinista, if there is one? On their website there is very little information and not a whole lot on the internet and non about hauling meat. The info on the denali was also a little bit lacking. I do like the idea of a sub 4 lb. pack for around $300. I looked at the mchale but they are out of my price range as with kifaru. The eberles are adjustable by the buyer and I have researched fitting a pack. Thanks.
Dan

Andinista does not have a rigid frame but uses a closed cell foam pad doubled over for a frame. I use a plastic frame sheet cut to fit inside the slot, I run duct tape around the edges to protect from abrasion and to carry duct tape for repairs. I cut a divot in the top edge so when I look up there is a place for my head to fit. John Bouchard's Andinista is the most copied technical pack, all the packs mentioned here copy some sort of Andi design from JB; the Lowe Expedition is the most copied pack since it was the original internal frame or all copy the original klettersak from the 1700-1800s. Stupid info! My andi is made from technora, a spectra based fabric and it weighs just over 2 pounds empty at 4100ci, 2 pound 4 ounces. I have a bivy sleeve that will extend up to my neck for a bivy sack. For sheep, goat and bou hunting where the animal is boned to save weight, no issue as a hunting pack. For toting a moose fifth or meat with bone that are big and odd sized, not ideal but of course will work. I carried well over 100# a few times with mine on rolling terrain like alpine tundra. Where it shines is its light weight and small profile. The pack body can be zipper down to 1800ci to use as a day pack, one zipper for a mid sized pack or zipped open for 4100ci. Since 1985 according to WT, no zipper has failed! For steep twisted backcountry terrain like goat and sheep or climbing, this pack has no equal for pure performance; high speed low drag. JB made a Andi that weighed a pound and a few ounces from silnylon or something but I have never used one but it was stupid light.

The Denali is for carrying heavy large over sized junk like moose fifths, whole sheep goat, 5gal fuel cans, firewood, etc. Why does it carries so well; the frame is bolted to the waist belt to support all that weight, the waist belt is very hard and stiff foam with a plastic insert that is counter-intuitive to what most consumers think is comfy. All the high dollar packs mentioned here have large puffy looking waist belts with the frame in a slot that will lose shape, frame will dip the waist and deform with heavy weight. The eye sees them very cushy and comfy but they are not with heavy loads as they will deform with heavy weight and lose support but until you carry 100 plus pounds in meat or kit in all the recommended high dollar super packs mentioned here and then the Gregory Denali, then you do not know or understand. Is it the perfect pack for everyone, of course not but pack fitting for years, very few preferred any pack over the Denali. A few wanted the hang tag for status, no one pack fits every body but until carried side by side with any other pack, cant compare.

McHale has to be used and seen to understand. Not only a work of fine art but the performance is beyond compare.

I like a freighter pack and external frame pack for big heavy items like a moose fifth but unless the terrain is flat and smooth like a hard pack backpack trail, I used them for years, the pack will fight you as it shifts and moves, actually the body shifts and moves too that work against each other, they become very un-comfy and the pressure with all the weight on the hips. They can be cooler in hot temps due to the air space between the pack and body. The Denali is as close to a freighter pack as an internal can.

A good fitting internal frame pack is the best option. Distribute weight between shoulders and hips, closer to the body for less stress on the body and move in concert with body for the most part.

I understand packs are adjustable and more so these days and plenty of info on how but to get a truly fitted pack, you need some knowledge and tricks that most pack sellers do not have these day as we have become a instant sale it and use.

Consumers and users just do not understand as they want the prestige of cool guy hang tags. Take it or leave it, not my circus, not my monkeys.

as always, just have fun

Last edited:
For boots, I highly recommend finding a local shoe store that can do laser measurements of your foot. Most people scoff at laser foot measurements, but it really is like a laser level. After you try out a pair of boots that truly fit you will wonder why anyone would do without it. After you have the 3D laser measurements you can chase the fancy name tags for boots that will fit you if you so desire. Money spent on properly fit boots will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable than fancy name tags.

I don't get to much into high speed gear or fancy brands for hunting. I'm a Irish Setter and Ketly kind of guy, but as always... define your specific needs in depth first and then search for your gear.

Never seen or used a laser foot thingy. Sounds good but how does it know what boot last and construction will fit the lased foot? Arch length is very important to fitting. High volume and low volume, this is not wide or narrow, feet. Achilles notch. Toes shape to match the boot. What about post?

What I did, had customer stand bare footed on a thick piece of glass with full body weight. Can get a fairly good idea of what boot last will fit their feet from this. Have them walk to see their gait and foot roll, check out their current boot they are wearing for signs and then find the boot constructed to best match them. Then, using secret tips over the years, custom fit the boot to their foot.

Socks can change the whole shape of the foot too, some work and some do not.

I agree on the lower priced price point kit. Did a documentary comparing some of the cheapest kit out there to the highest end, results were surprising but again, consumers are consumed about the cool guy hang tag. So they ask, others recommend, mostly regurgitate cool guy hang tags so it has to be the highest performing. Most have never used it or compared it to others just is got the hang tag. Gotta have the cool guy hang tag.

Never seen or used a laser foot thingy. Sounds good but how does it know what boot last and construction will fit the lased foot? Arch length is very important to fitting. High volume and low volume, this is not wide or narrow, feet. Achilles notch. Toes shape to match the boot. What about post?

What I did, had customer stand bare footed on a thick piece of glass with full body weight. Can get a fairly good idea of what boot last will fit their feet from this. Have them walk to see their gait and foot roll, check out their current boot they are wearing for signs and then find the boot constructed to best match them. Then, using secret tips over the years, custom fit the boot to their foot.

Socks can change the whole shape of the foot too, some work and some do not.

I feel like we may be straying a bit away from what the OP was looking for, but I'll bite as it may be useful to someone that might stumble across this thread at a later date.

I'm certainly no expert nor am I a practitioner. I am simply a happy customer, as such, I will defer you to this publication
National Center of Biotechnology Information = Dry read, but contains a good background and goes far more in depth than I would/could in a single post.

I'm not saying it's an end all, guaranteed solution as measurements and computer aided models only take you so far. However, it does provide solid information to aid the consumer/retailer in finding a properly fitted product. A good knowledgeable outfitter, following the steps you outlined would very likely end up with same level of fit and comfort. Unfortunately, as you stated very few are devoted to providing customers that kind of service, hence my recommendation. Even if a local retailer using 3D laser measurements can't be found, there almost certainly will be a local orthopedic doctor using it. To take it step further if local retailers don't carry satisfactory products for your needs you can relay the information gained from the 3D models to a quality vendor to assist you in finding the correct product.

To the OP, be aware boot fitting can be a moving target. Packs, clothing, socks, and weight carried make a difference. Each can/will change how you walk, where the pressure is applied on your feet and ultimately the support needed from your footwear. Purchasing your pack first and loading it with the gear you plan to carry in the field while you get measured for boots will significantly reduce your chances of missing that target. I know this goes without saying, but please verify with a retailer before bringing firearms/ammunition into their facility.

I agree on the lower priced price point kit. Did a documentary comparing some of the cheapest kit out there to the highest end, results were surprising but again, consumers are consumed about the cool guy hang tag. So they ask, others recommend, mostly regurgitate cool guy hang tags so it has to be the highest performing. Most have never used it or compared it to others just is got the hang tag. Gotta have the cool guy hang tag.

Sounds intriguing, where can I find more information on this?

I feel like we may be straying a bit away from what the OP was looking for, but I'll bite as it may be useful to someone that might stumble across this thread at a later date.

I'm certainly no expert nor am I a practitioner. I am simply a happy customer, as such, I will defer you to this publication
National Center of Biotechnology Information = Dry read, but contains a good background and goes far more in depth than I would/could in a single post.

I'm not saying it's an end all, guaranteed solution as measurements and computer aided models only take you so far. However, it does provide solid information to aid the consumer/retailer in finding a properly fitted product. A good knowledgeable outfitter, following the steps you outlined would very likely end up with same level of fit and comfort. Unfortunately, as you stated very few are devoted to providing customers that kind of service, hence my recommendation. Even if a local retailer using 3D laser measurements can't be found, there almost certainly will be a local orthopedic doctor using it. To take it step further if local retailers don't carry satisfactory products for your needs you can relay the information gained from the 3D models to a quality vendor to assist you in finding the correct product.

To the OP, be aware boot fitting can be a moving target. Packs, clothing, socks, and weight carried make a difference. Each can/will change how you walk, where the pressure is applied on your feet and ultimately the support needed from your footwear. Purchasing your pack first and loading it with the gear you plan to carry in the field while you get measured for boots will significantly reduce your chances of missing that target. I know this goes without saying, but please verify with a retailer before bringing firearms/ammunition into their facility.

Sounds intriguing, where can I find more information on this?

Very boring and low budget, a local production company from the mid 90s, sempex, but now the alaska tv channel, documentary is a stretch to what you think, did have one run nationally. I was not the stand up, just the technical adviser and guide and most of all the sherpa to hump 3/4 gear, I had to carry it for miles, rig ropes up, down, the days before small light digi gear. But I did have my time explaining routes, building camps, snow caves, Alaska beta, backcountry gear and can be seen leading the pack.

Me on the left, I rigged and hauled the camera, tripod, photog up and down three times on the wall behind us.

Foot shape is only half the fitting since once you know the foot you have to know how the boot is lasted to pair them up to get a proper fit. Every high end boot is built different and you have to have worn them and know individual lasts to fit a boot. While I have not worn them all I have quite a few and I give my help from experience, use it or do not as its not my circus. My point is, asking on the interweb for boots is not productive. Recommending boots on the interweb is not good. I can be assured that 90% of those who have and will recommend boots on here do not have a proper fitted boot to their foot. They buy and wear boots because this high speed tier unit uses them, this guy says they are good and he is cool, etc and I can be like them with the cool guy hang tag.

Goes with packs too but most end users do not understand this they just buy and use, and do not really know or understand how a proper fitting pack should feel.