• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Boots for Astan and Army schools

Re: Boots for Astan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the specific web site for Lowa boots or is it a distributer like Davidson's and the like?</div></div>
You need to work on your Google-Fu

Lowa Boots Duty Web Site

GM

I had a pair of Garmont hiking boots my last deployment to Afghanistan and they were great, so I bought the T8s and I'm not impressed. I did some ruck marching with the T8s before I came back over here and they didn't mess my feet up but I went back to my issued Altimas after that. The Altimas were more comfortable even with the standard insoles.
The T8s are fine for garrison but I don't want to be climbing mountains in them. My personal opinion is to get a good pair of hiking boots if they will let you use them for deployment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hitman321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">203-353-0116 number is still good for 40% discount. Paula's gone but Amy's the girl now. </div></div>

Thanks, appreciate that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn... the LOWAS are 300 bucks
</div></div>

The best $300 bucks you will ever spend. Lowa are by far the best boots I have ever purchased. Bought mine in 04 and have held up much better than most other boots I have had out in Afghanistan. Danner a second, but yes heavy.
5:11 not something I enjoyed and the converse side zip boots just killed my feet.

Since this thread was torn out of the vault, I figured I would update it.

I purchased two different boots, Lowa Zephyr and a set of Asolo Moran GTXs.

The Lowas were amazing when I first got them and used them for a bunch of training and in the mountains of Arizona for a Tracking school. They went to Astan with me and were my COP boots because they sucked up in the Kush. The tread was worthless when it got wet and would shred on the class 3 terrain we were traversing. The Asolo's on the other hand were the best money I spend for this deployment besides my Mystery Ranch pack. Never had a single stitch rip or tear on 100's of miles on the nastiest terrain Astan could dish out. I know these boots saved me from hurting myself multiple times. Great boots for the situation I was using them for. Our platoon had a mixture of boots; Scarpa, Merrell, Danner, Lowa, and Northface. The overall agreement was the Asolos were the way to go. Almost every guy in the platoon bought a pair of Lowas after I got mine, most were COP boots about half way through.
YMMV

Thanks for the update Victory and thanks for your service!

I love my Asolo Moran GTXs as well. They take the best that the Shenandoah Valley can dish out (not as dangerous as Astan, but tough terrain nonetheless).

I had a pair of asolo Fsn 95s for 6 years and still have them. Top notch boot and a big step up from light hikers such as alot of the previously mentioned boots such as the otb desertlites and merrels.

Recently started wearing solomon 4d gtxs and they are extremely nice. Wish they made a non gtx because they get hot. Overall worth it if you wear a good sock. Wear them with issue socks and youll have trouble, same with the asolos.

You may want to check out the videos Maineprepper did about a year ago on boots and foot health he gave some good suggestions on boots for different situations He has 3 decades of experience doing marches and related what he has learned in that period of time I believe he talked about Wellcos, Bates and another type You really have to watch his videos to get the exact ones.

sign up on promotive and get discounts on tons of boots - I personally love the Scarpa Kalash GTX boots but those would only be approved to wear in country, couldn't wear them to Army Schools. I like the standard Belleville 390 DES boots for uniform wear CONUS, comfortable and durable in my experience with them.