• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boots for field matches

blbennett1288

Rivet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2017
    Hoover, Alabama
    For field type matches what sort of boots is the hide using? Most of the matches around my area have good surfaces and Salomons or Merrells work well, but there are a few that have unsurfaced paths and are in a field. Most of the time the ground is wet from either rain or dew, so I need something that is breathable but yet water resistant. I have been looking at the below 2 options, but I am open to what the hide has to say.

KEEN MEN'S TARGHEE II WATERPROOF MID
    OBOZ MEN'S BRIDGER MID WATERPROOF

I have run Keen's and Oboz, and right now, all I own are Oboz. They are comfortable to me, and they last better than Keens, Merells, etc. I am in a fairly dry climate, so I don't have a long, hard use track record in rain/dew, but the times I have used them, they have performed well. Make sure you get a set with the B Dry as they offer some models in with or without configurations.

Reactions: blbennett1288
    I wear nike sfb boots but that's because its what I already own, but I'll probably got to Solomon's in the future. I'd stay away from waterproof boots with lining. Your feet will just sweat more and you'll likely walk in dry stuff more where it wont make it worth it. Unless you wear gators, your feet will still get wet with waterproof boots.

Darn tough socks are a gamechanger, during a school, my buddy loaned me a pair and the difference between issued socks was so insane, I'll never look back. If my boots got wet, I'd keep pushing until the next day. At night I would put on fresh socks and put the wet socks on my ruck.

In the morning, my socks would go back into the wet boot, but the darn toughs deal with the wetness great and your boots will be dry by nightfall. Than, I'd change socks with the ones that were drying on the ruck.

Tldr: buy boots that are breathable and bring multiple high quality socks.

Salomon quest 4d 3 goretex. They are light and have held up well. I bought them for elk hunting and wear them or saloman speedcross 3 all the time.

I’ve worn Garmont T-8 since they were first out back in 2008. I recently added a set of Merrell half boots for duty use in field environments. I’m really pleased with them thus far. Ive also had a set of 5.10 Guide Tennies in rotation for the last few years.

I have a pair of Danner mountain 600s that have served me well for the last year and a half.

I recently bought a pair of Crispi summits. They are the most comfortable pair of boots I’ve ever owned. Light and Gore-Tex. Everyone’s foot is different though.

www.lalo.com

If you find something you like, let me know. I have a 30% off code.

I've been wearing their athletic style shoes for 2 years now.... amazing quality and almost weightless. Love them!

I've worn Salomon Speedcross trail running shoes at field matches for years. If the weather is a little cooler, I wear a pair of Rocky or Danner boots.

I'm using the same Lowa Zephyrs for the past ~8 years or so. Really good quality boots, gore-tex liner so it's waterproof while being breathable.

I've taken them to 6 continents, and they are holding up strong.

last pair of keens (my first and last pair) shedded their soles on a day hike in AZ this fall (picture follows). in fairness the soles hung on at the toes and made for decent flip flops until i rerouted the laces to hold em together better.

blows my mind how so many manufacturers use a little bit of shit glue and no stitching to attach uppers to soles.

i picked up a pair of Oboz to replace them and they seem gtg. time will tell how they hold up.

Attachments

• 05CB0B6C-F4C8-4A3E-A289-384843D81FA6.jpeg
      05CB0B6C-F4C8-4A3E-A289-384843D81FA6.jpeg
      351.1 KB · Views: 143
    Never tried Oboz, but I have worn several different models of Keen boots and it’s a hard pass for me now. Like kthomas, I currently have a pair of Lowa’s in the rotation and they are bombproof. I have the Tibet’s which are overkill for what you’re looking for, but I also have a pair of Zamberlans (1996 GTX) that are just as good in a lighter package. I’ve heard that the Lowa Locarno is pretty nice as well.

Old School: Danner Acadias, Lite an/or Desert dinner series. I have owned several. These models are durable and rebuildable.

I'm using the same Lowa Zephyrs for the past ~8 years or so. Really good quality boots, gore-tex liner so it's waterproof while being breathable.

I've taken them to 6 continents, and they are holding up strong.

I also run Lowa Zephyrs (Hi GTX) and can't say enough good about them. Tons of ankle support but super light. I wear them for field matches and most PRS/NRL matches as well unless I know I'll be shooting on concrete or something similar (and the weather is nice), then I just wear some Speedcross trail runners.

Another badass pair of Danner boots is the DFA (Direct Flight Assault). If your looking for comfort of a running shoe & max support these boots are for you. I’m on my second pair & I got 4+ years out of the first pair & I’m on 3+ w/ the second pair.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I have narrowed it down to the following. I will pick up a pair or 2 of the Darn Tough socks.

Oboz Men's Bridger Vent Mid BDRY
    Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Shoe
    Salomon Men's Quest 4D 3 GTX Boot

I’ve tried a bunch over the years, my current favorite and ones that I’ve used for the past three years of ruck matches have been the Asolo Fugitive GTX.
    I do put a new pair of greenfeet insoles in them each year, as well as heavier duty laces, but they have been awesome. Breathable, and I’ve also been through a ton of water in them with dry success.

Love the Speedcross. Ran a 50mi race in them, no issues, so field matches are no problem. Unless there is sand involved, as they are lows. Picked up a pair of Garmont bifidas, firm in the sole and a bit warm, but bombproof.

Lowas. Been using them for years. Been through Bates, Danners, Thoroughgoods, Garmonts, Nike’s, Reebok’s.
    Lowas by far are the most comfortable, durable and longest lasting

Reactions: STex
    I've been running Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots, and also see a ton of them out there. They've worked well for me. Goretex so they are waterproof/breatheable.
    I’m notoriously picky on shoes when shopping, and the fit on these was great. I think my current pair has lasted me 3 years and should get me through one more before I look to replace. No issues during various hikes, yard work, and matches. Just starting to see some wear on them now.

Reactions: Sheldon N
    I recently bought a pair of coyote colored Danner Full Bore boots. I liked them enough to buy a black pair as well. These boots wear like a pair of running shoes.

Crispi hunter gtx or Meindl dovre extreme are my favorites, quite expensive but are just awesome when your carrying some weight. Not sure if those are avaliable in the states tho, Meindl should be atleast.

Reactions: Oregonboy
    last pair of keens (my first and last pair) shedded their soles on a day hike in AZ this fall (picture follows). in fairness the soles hung on at the toes and made for decent flip flops until i rerouted the laces to hold em together better.

blows my mind how so many manufacturers use a little bit of shit glue and no stitching to attach uppers to soles.

i picked up a pair of Oboz to replace them and they seem gtg. time will tell how they hold up.
    I also had two horrible experinces with the keen brands. Similar situation with the sole on the first one the second pair seems as if they didt add enough glue between the cushion and the leather portion of the boot. On the good note they have great warranty and they sent me a new pair of boots twice.

I wanted to love the Salomon Quest but the toe box is too tight. Adidas Terrex Swift Mid were another boot I wanted to love, but once again, the toe box was cramped. Overall, I found the Salomon to have better ankle stability and traction on loose ground; the Adidas felt better under the foot and had better traction on wet surfaces.

I wear Altra Lone Peaks 99% of the time and the 6" GORUCK MAC-V for when I need the added stability.

If going with the Salomon, I suggest the Forces lineup. Better protection in exposed/contact areas and more secure lacing system. Basic Salomon boots have plastic hooks toward the upper and tend to break...

Went with Merrell Moab 2 low. Extremely comfortable from day one. Great grip and support. I did the waterproof version and my feet have gotten wet in minimum moisture. Would still buy again as the comfort, support, and soles/traction have been very satisfying.

I also HIGHLY recommend high quality wool or wool/poly blend for socks as mentioned above. They are pricey but last very long, can be worn several days without odor and maintain their shape like they were freshly cleaned. I'm still surprised, after moving to wool exclusively several years ago, how well they work and last. I can wear the same pair of socks for several days without issue. When wearing cotton, I could barely get a full day out of a pair. And the longevity more than pays for the higher price.

After a long search I found the Zamberlan 320 Trail Lite Evo GTX hiking boots 🥾 They are fantastic. I highly recommend that you check them out.

The toe box is roomy, they are lite weight and all day comfortable.

I often carry two boots. Salomon Quest 4D Goretex and Muck boots. It can get pretty muddy around here at times. Glad I had these Mucks in the truck during the Bugholes match last spring. Otherwise it's Salomon all the way. Lightweight, waterproof, over 10 years of use and still going.
    PRS match 1.jpg

These boots blasted me through Sniper School and about 2 years in a section before they needed to be retired. Absolutely love them. Not waterproof but very comfortable, breathable, and dry quickly. Highly recommend for any type of run and gun scenario.

Ive been running Salamon Jungle boots for the last year and have been happy with them. Super light weight, breathable, and really comfortable

Danner Pronghorn GTX and a pair of rubbers, for when it's real wet. The Pronghorns are relatively light weight and wear in to fit like a pair of heavy socks, they're great. As for rubbers, Lacrosse or Mucks work good for me.

One picture from a recent match illustrates the boundaries of acceptable footwear for match shooting.

View attachment 7372624
    Probably shot like an absolute G.

I'm partial to salomon for my foot. I love my quest 4d gtx. My first pair are finally on their way out after 4 years, 10 Colorado 14ers, 3 hunting seasons, and probably 1,000+ miles. I will be replacing them with another pair, and will be getting a lower profile boot for when I don't need the high ankle aka day hikes.

If you aren't hiking around, I wore chuck taylors at a match this weekend and my feet were happy as hell. If the weather is nice and you have options...

Lowas. Been using them for years. Been through Bates, Danners, Thoroughgoods, Garmonts, Nike’s, Reebok’s.
    Lowas by far are the most comfortable, durable and longest lasting
    [/QUOTE 2x. Lightweight, waterproof, and very comfortable.

Been rocking Salomon Jungle Ultras since 2015. Only had to switch out the laces after the first set frayed and were a pain to thread. They've been in the desert in summer and winter, jungle during the rainy season, and Korean winter with no fail. Been hiking a lot with them recently.

Bought Arc'teryx Acrux TR GTXs because I didn't have any gore-tex shoes for winter where I'm at right now. Replaced the laces after 8 mon. Laces original laces were built like 550 cord and the outer sheath had worn through where the laces met the hooks. Otherwise still going strong with no issues. Been hiking these a lot recently as well.

Altama OTBs worked well for MAROPs, everyday life and the gym. Replaced with another pair after the inside of the heels wore out.

Was issued Salomon CA Forces Mids and liked them for the gym and everyday wear but the tread was lacking for anything serious to me. I would've preferred the Speed Assaults but ended up rolling with my Jungles for anything serious.
    93320669_553092475345026_9108438604639633408_n.jpg