• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Boots

RegularGuy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
Conus/Oconus
Any reason to go with anything other than Danners? I do a lot of hiking when I am stateside, so need something that is gonna hold up to abuse. Something comfy enough for everyday wear would be nice as well

Re: Boots

Timberland has a boot out called the TRENTON.Might want to check that out.

I like White's Boots from Spokane. Also like various hiking boots found at REI, etc. However for off trail use, the Whites are much better because of the extra height.

Keeps stickers and mud out well. Also goes a long way to keep snow out.

To be honest, I like the Converse. I know people may have not had good luck with them but I've ran three hard comps with them (including running) in the deep south and Texas heat. They stay cool, their comfortable enough to wear every day, and they've held up real well.
Now I'm not going to say they're on the level of Danner, but I would give them a look-see, especially for the price.

I have a pair of Danner Fort Lewis boots. Have had them a long time and they have seen a lot of the finest US Army abuse. But they are heavy. And 1 lb on your foot = 5 lbs on your back. In effort to reduce weight, I was looking for something lighter.

I asked around and ended up with Asolo Moran GTX (http://www.amazon.com/Asolo-Moran-GTX-Bo...6323&sr=8-4) OMG they are awesome. Light, durable, very comfortable. Lots of SpecOp guys wearing them around the hills of Afghanistan, so they can deploy with you and also feel like sneakers. If you have a >50lb ruck on your back, they are a bit too light, but other than that, amazing boot.

The Danners are great boots, but too heavy. Your Service boots would be fine, it's the insole that you may want to look at. Try some Sorbothanes, they seem to last longer than the boots, I've used them for 30 years and wore boots every day for 27 years.

I've been pretty happy with the Red Wing 914 for hiking, working around/on the house, and general foul-weather daily wear.

I've had a lot of luck with the US made Danners including a pair of Ft. Lewis still going strong since 1993, but the China made ones never last long on my feet. Three different pairs and the leather started cracking on one after month 6, another pair the sole started separating at month 8 with other leather issues, and the third doesn't get daily wear. These were the GTX 453 model, and for $160/pair I expect at least a year of daily wear use. I'll never buy a pair of China made Danners again.

I've since switched to Lowa six months ago and if I clean all the dirt off of them they look almost new. A pair of cheap gel insoles and they're comfortable all day and night.

I think that footwear is a very personal thing and one boot does not fit all. Depending on the width, arch height etc will drive your footwear. I started using Danners in 1988 when I was first issued the Acadia, and wore them for years. I have owned numerous pairs of Danners and they have never let me down. I still believe the US produced boots are quite good and I agree 100% with the comment on the China produced models. They just don't hold up nor do I find them as comfortable as the US.

Uncle Sugar paid for White's Boots for me and I have been so impressed with them that I have spent my own money on other pairs. I have gotten away from Danners altogether after trying the Asolo FSN 95 in 2004. I was issued these boots and have never looked back. Danners are great but the Asolo's work better with my feet. These days I seem to alternate between the Asolo and the White's Smoke Jumper.

Note that Danner, Asolo, Lowa, etc are all production shoes and White's are a whole different animal since they are custom boots and their price reflects that.

You mean you aren't buying those sniper boots '!!!,

i have 3 pair of Danner boots. desert acadian, the USMC rats, and another really old pair that i cant remember the name of. these should last me the rest of my life. if they dont, i will send them back and have them rebuild. try that with your walmart chinese crap...Danner all the way!!!

I second the Garmont's. They fit your feet closer than any other boot I've worn. Once you get used to it, you won't want to wear any other boot.

My experience with kenetrek boots has been great so far. They are heavy but amazingly comfortable and have the support I need (almost like ski boots)

I'm a big fan of the Nike SFB's. They are super light, around 16 ounces or so and dry pretty quick. They are the only ones that I have that rival my Merrells.