• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bore guide for Remington 40XB?

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
What would you recommend for a quality bore guide for my Remington 40XB (based on the Remington 700 short action receiver)? My standard Dewey bore guide for my centerfire Rem700 does not work in my Rem40XB due to the single-shot feed parts in the way...

I found Midway USA offers a Dewey delrin bore guide for the Remington 541 rimfire rifles, so is there something similar for the Rem40XB rimfire?

Re: bore guide for Remington 40XB?

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/33958-rimfire-bore-guide-rem-40x-cooper-36-possum-hollow.html

This one works OK. Big problem is the ejector portion of the load ram is inline with the lower left side of the bore. It's just about imposible to clean the rifle from the rear with out it causing a 22 cleaning rod to be forced up and out of alignment with the bore. I use a 17 cal Dewey rod and don't even bother with the bore guide. I guide the rod by hand and I dont brush unless the deposit are heavy. I clean with patches only about 99 percent of the time. If you've got a lead and carbon ring just in front of the chamber area go ahead and take the rifle out of the stock and remove the feed ramp so you can get a stiff rod squarely lined up for a good cleaning.

Donald

Can't go wrong with a lucas. There are some other good ones out there but not for <$50.

Thanks for the link, Donald.

Also, what do you think of this one which was referred to me via the Rimfire Central forums: M. Werks, LLC bore guide and bushing for Rem40X?

Finally, because you are the resident Rem40XB expert, is there any reason not to fire copper-jacketed or -plated ammunition through a quality target rifle with a match barrel?

I have a Lucas for my 40X and an M. Werks for my Anschutz. Both are great. I actually replaced a Delrin guide I got from Dewey with the Lucas. You definitely need a two piece with a bushing designed to match the rod diameter.

I just ordered a Lucas bore guide and 2 inserts for .22 caliber cleaning rods. Mike assured me the bore guide would fit the Rem40XB with the single-shot feed parts/ejector. It will ship the first week of November.

I've been happy with my current Lucas bore guide and inserts for my centerfire Rem700, so I'm sure these will be great as well!

You'll be real happy with your new purchase. Mike Lucas is great to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Lucas bore guide and 2 inserts for .22 caliber cleaning rods. Mike assured me the bore guide would fit the Rem40XB with the single-shot feed parts/ejector. It will ship the first week of November.

I've been happy with my current Lucas bore guide and inserts for my centerfire Rem700, so I'm sure these will be great as well!</div></div>

Smart move. Good rod alignment is just as important with a rimfire as a centerfire. In fact, it is probably moreso as a 22LR barrel can go 500,000 rounds if maintained properly. You are far more likely to ruin a 22 barrel from improper cleaning than from shooting the barrel out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Lucas bore guide and 2 inserts for .22 caliber cleaning rods. Mike assured me the bore guide would fit the Rem40XB with the single-shot feed parts/ejector. It will ship the first week of November.

I've been happy with my current Lucas bore guide and inserts for my centerfire Rem700, so I'm sure these will be great as well!</div></div>

Smart move. Good rod alignment is just as important with a rimfire as a centerfire. In fact, it is probably moreso as a 22LR barrel can go 500,000 rounds if maintained properly. You are far more likely to ruin a 22 barrel from improper cleaning than from shooting the barrel out.</div></div>

I actually just now ordered an M. Werks bore guide too, so I will try them both and see which I like better for the Rem40XB...

I would not shoot any Copper plated ammo in a target barrel. The copper is soft and will smear which will cause fouling and poor accuracy. The 40x barrel has fairly shallow rifling so a little fouling does allot of harm to accuracy. Use a lubed target bullet and your barrel will last longer than you will and need very little cleaning. All of the 40x's I've owned shot at least one flavor of Wolf or SK very well so if cost is a factor I'd buy a few boxes of each from Champion Shooters Supply and then get a case of the one that shoots best and you'll be set up for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not shoot any Copper plated ammo in a target barrel. The copper is soft and will smear which will cause fouling and poor accuracy. The 40x barrel has fairly shallow rifling so a little fouling does allot of harm to accuracy. Use a lubed target bullet and your barrel will last longer than you will and need very little cleaning. All of the 40x's I've owned shot at least one flavor of Wolf or SK very well so if cost is a factor I'd buy a few boxes of each from Champion Shooters Supply and then get a case of the one that shoots best and you'll be set up for a long time.</div></div>

Thanks for the reply, Don. I have two Rem40XB rifles, and I've only started playing around with one; the other is unfired (by me). I have bought a ton of Eley, Wolf and SK match, so I'll see what this particular rifle likes before I start messing with the other one.

Don, do you ever use JB Bore Cleaning Compound in your rimfire match barrels? Or would you advise against it?

Mike Lucas - all you need to know when it comes to Bore Guides.

I use them on all my rifles.

Great guy, great service, great kit - it doesn't get any better.

I use the Remington 40X bore cleaner. It's a liquid cleaner thats like JB bore paste. It is suposed to be the same stuff that Remington uses to do the final polish on their custom shop rifle bores. I cant say if that's true but will say it does work to get the the hard to clean, old baked in crap these old barrels often have in them. After a good scrub first. Wrap a 22 patch arround a worn out 22 brush. You want it tight as a 16 yrd old virgin to get down into the 90 degree joints of the lands and groves. Then soak the patch well. Scrub back and forth. If theres any badly fouled areas you'll feel them as the patch will grab/hang up a little. Spend a little extra time on any of the fouled areas to smooth them out. You will have to repeat this with new patches for a heavy fouled barrel as the patch will wear out .

Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not shoot any Copper plated ammo in a target barrel. The copper is soft and will smear which will cause fouling and poor accuracy. The 40x barrel has fairly shallow rifling so a little fouling does allot of harm to accuracy. Use a lubed target bullet and your barrel will last longer than you will and need very little cleaning. All of the 40x's I've owned shot at least one flavor of Wolf or SK very well so if cost is a factor I'd buy a few boxes of each from Champion Shooters Supply and then get a case of the one that shoots best and you'll be set up for a long time.</div></div>

Thanks for the reply, Don. I have two Rem40XB rifles, and I've only started playing around with one; the other is unfired (by me). I have bought a ton of Eley, Wolf and SK match, so I'll see what this particular rifle likes before I start messing with the other one.

Don, do you ever use JB Bore Cleaning Compound in your rimfire match barrels? Or would you advise against it? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Remington 40X bore cleaner. It's a liquid cleaner thats like JB bore paste. It is suposed to be the same stuff that Remington uses to do the final polish on their custom shop rifle bores. I cant say if that's true but will say it does work to get the the hard to clean, old baked in crap these old barrels often have in them. After a good scrub first. Wrap a 22 patch arround a worn out 22 brush. You want it tight as a 16 yrd old virgin to get down into the 90 degree joints of the lands and groves. Then soak the patch well. Scrub back and forth. If theres any badly fouled areas you'll feel them as the patch will grab/hang up a little. Spend a little extra time on any of the fouled areas to smooth them out. You will have to repeat this with new patches for a heavy fouled barrel as the patch will wear out .

Donald</div></div>

What are your recommended/favorite patches for rimfire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What are your recommended/favorite patches for rimfire?</div></div>

If you can get Tetra patches - try them.

Perfect size, just stick 'em dead centre on the jag and go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get Tetra patches - try them.

Perfect size, just stick 'em dead center on the jag and go</div></div>

Thanks for the recommendation