• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bore guides.

Re: bore guides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JP Enterprises "looks" more like the Lucas guide design (being aluminum) </div></div>

1) Lucas bore guides are not aluminium
2) Does either of the options you mention have the rod insert - for me this is the key feature of the Lucas guides?
3) Sorry to put it like this...but WTF does it matter what they look like? </div></div>

1) My apologies, I saw a photo of one of the Lucas guides on 6mmBR.com and it looked like black anodized aluminum to me. (I saw the checkered pattern on it an made an assumption).

2) Neither have the rod insert.....which is why I originally wanted the Lucas offering....but I'm not waiting 4 months for one. This is why I was asking which of either the Possum Hollow or JP Enterprises offerings was "2nd best" since everyone seems to feel that the Lucas offering is the best.

3) Sorry, but you focused in on the wrong intent of my post. "Looks" wasn't meant to infer that I wanted a product that "looks" like the Lucas bore guide, but one that perhaps was the closest to it in terms of construction....which once again, everyone thinks is the best. In my eyes (at the time), the JP Enterprises bore guide looked the most similar to the Lucas bore guide. If "Lucas is the best"....and I cannot get a Lucas...which one is the closest to it?

My apologies on assuming the Lucas guide was aluminum.

jethro3898 - my misunderstanding on the "looks" part of your post - apologies!

If you can hold out until Mike is accepting orders again, I'd do that.

His giudes are made of delrin (so no difference there to many other makes) but the clever thing about his guides is the insert that keeps the rod straight thru the bore.

His guides are matched to the calibre, chamber and bolt diameter and also the make of rod that you use.

Other makes I have used will (for example) just give you a generic .308 or even .30 calibre guide whereas I have two specific, differently dimensioned.308 guides from Mike to fit my 700SA GAP and my AIAW.

I like the tipton rods my self they work grate. never used a dewey herd they were just as good.

i use the tipton carbon fibers. several people on RFC put them down as being too hard for barrel steel. i found that a bit of a stretch,but am willing to listen to opinions here. personally i use possum hollow guides and the 1 on 1 service has been great. he even sent me 2 for the mosin as he had not made one before and wanted my input on fit/clearance.

I'm surprised Midway hasn't copied the Lucas model yet! I'm all for supporting small business who create a lot of great gear and avoiding the "Walmarts" out there that rip off intellectual property, but it sure is frustrating having to wait four months for a specific bore guide I'd like to purchase. Guess I'll take a look at the PH model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I got lucky. Ordered mine on 12/16, he replied to me that it would ship 1/16. I sent him payment the next day. </div></div>

Update: Mike just sent me an e-mail saying that my guide shipped today 1/3.

The jp works great but so dose the hollow. I have had both for the Ars i like the jp a little better. fits the action a little tighter i think. I use the dewey rods. A buddy of mine has the tipton rod and i think the dewey is a little stouter has less flex when running patches just my 2 cents. I have the 22cal rods and have cleaned 300 win mags with no issues with flex.

What do you guys think of the plastic coated rods? Are they necessary or am I just being overprotective? I plan on using a Possum Hollow on my Rem. 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and was wondering if I needed a plastic coated rod to make sure I don't do any damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think of the plastic coated rods? Are they necessary or am I just being overprotective? I plan on using a Possum Hollow on my Rem. 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and was wondering if I needed a plastic coated rod to make sure I don't do any damage. </div></div>

I prefer the carbon fiber rods made by Tipton over plastic coated rods. I have heard (not personal experience though....so take it for what it's worth) that over time and repeated use, the plastic can wear off.
eek.gif

I just started using bore guides for my precision shooters (AR10 and Bolt guns). I have the Possum Hallow (For Remi and Savage) and Dewey (AR15/AR10), and bore guides does make cleaning easier. However I don't think bore guides are really needed. I know every precision shooter uses them, but there is really no proof that they actually help maintain accuracy. I know one thing, they certainly don't hurt.

I use regular cleaning rods and have for 30 years. I have a couple of rifles that have been with me that long and I have never seen or noticed a reduction in accuracy. All of my hogs have been DRT, but the plastic coating surely could'nt hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use regular cleaning rods and have for 30 years. I have a couple of rifles that have been with me that long and I have never seen or noticed a reduction in accuracy. All of my hogs have been DRT, but the plastic coating surely could'nt hurt. </div></div>

wink.gif

Tread lightly with those words!!!

I use bore guides of all kinds. I got lucky and bought 3 different Lucas guides years ago. Although I have many different cleaning rods, I prefer the ones with a plastic coating.

I haven't noticed a degradation in accuracy from the cleaning rods, but have heard that grit can get onto either metal, or plastic, and cause erosion wear. It may be true, but I don't want to find out the hard way, so I use bore guides whenever possible.

It has been said that more barrels are ruined by poor cleaning technique than from shooting. If someone uses one of the military sectional rods and cleans from the muzzle scrubbing back and forth, I can understand how that can quickly ruin the muzzle of a rifle. Also, dragging a chord out of the muzzle and always going off to one side because you are right or left handed would be very bad.

I prefer to be overly cautious with cleaning rather than have to spend another $600 or more to buy a replacement barrel and have it mounted onto a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I prefer to be overly cautious with cleaning rather than have to spend another $600 or more to buy a replacement barrel and have it mounted onto a rifle. </div></div>

And this is why people use bore guides, so they can sleep at night and feel safer that the closet monster won't damage their barrel because they did not use a bore guide.

I myself use bore guides, because it's routine, and I too am scared of the closet monster, that is why I use a bore guide. However, the truth is there really no concrete proof out there that a bore guide helps maintains accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself use bore guides, because it's routine, and I too am scared of the closet monster, that is why I use a bore guide. However, the truth is there really no concrete proof out there that a bore guide helps maintains accuracy.</div></div>
Bore guide is supposed to prevent chemicals dripping from the soaked patches from getting where (a) they won't do any good - such as trigger assembly, and (b) where it would be somewhat difficult to remove them from. It also helps protecting the throat from over-zealous application of cleaning brush and rod - but it should take a long time before bronze brush and plastic-coated rod abrade the throat enough to cause ill effects (hot gases are bound to do that before the cleaning brush).
smile.gif

Tried the Possum Hollow out today, very nice fit and the price and shipping were spot on. I called them to make sure which one was correct for my gun. Very helpful and professional, would highly recommend.