• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bore Scopes

bb338

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hi everyone Iam thinking of getting a bore scope so I can check my chambers etc and its a mine field hawke eye seem to have some great units but they come with a great tag as well pockets arnt that deep I would have to sell my first born. Has anyone had any of the USB models. I dont want to waste good money on crap and would rather spend a bit more say around the $700 mark on one that I can actually see in the chamber. There are so many cheap brands for $29 and up but I feel I will be very disappointed when it was used .
Thanks in advance

Generally, you get what you pay for. I can't see any reason for one unless you build barrels or guns and would use one frequently. Unless you would use one frequently, I'm not sure you'd even know what you're looking at. Please educate me, if I'm off base!

We also do mechanical work as well build some engines and Iam a builder so it would be nice to have a uniform tool to look in wall cavitys at pipe work etc and check out valves timming chains so if the old bloke wants to but one I can borrow it
Thanks

I have a Hawkeye and again, you get what you pay for. I have had it for abut 10 years and although it is not something I use every day it has been a great tool for me. I bought it when I used to clean barrels but it has gotten a lot of use looking into two stroke cylinders, electrical wiring in walls, looking for case head separation, and of course checking rifle bores. If you buy used rifles it is a great tool, especially old military rifles. You can't bullshit the scope. A bushmaster barrel and a Krieger look nothing alike under the scope, and neglected CM doesn't always show when you just look down the barrel at a light. I have a 1971 Annie 1810 that I found at a gun show in BFE that I never would have bought if I didn't scope it. The cheap bore scopes are just like cheap rifle scopes If you are looking for detailed resolution you won't get it cheap. When I bought mine I looked through some cheap ones that looked like the old magnifying glass that came out of a Cracker Jack box.

Have you guys used the one with the SuperNova Light? If so, is it worth the extra $$?
In a word NO it is not worth the extra money. If you have a standard Hawkeye scope go buy the LED Mini Mag Light and use it to replace the standard Mag Light that comes with the unit. This is what I did and it works great without the cost that the SuperNova will add.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I will be purchasing a bore scope in the next week or so. I had a stubborn stuck case last week and want to take a peak at things after getting it out.

A thought:

When I mentioned to the fellas at the gun club that I was planning on buying a Hawkeye, they were foaming at the mouth at the concept of paying $10 now and then for me to bring it out and let them check out their bores.

Of ~20 guys, ALL of them said they'd definitely pay $10 (each) at least once a year.

Seems like a decent way to recoup a little cash from an expensive purchase.

I know I'd pay someone $10 now and then for them to show me my bore/throat with their scope.

BB338, I have a Slim 22" scope. At 4.2mm Dia it will take care of almost all barrel lengths and .22 rifles. It's long enough to get you behind high combs when looking through the action side. The Supernova is not worth the cash if you are just doing rifle bores, there is plenty of light with a mini maglite. If you are looking into engine intake runners and larger volume cavities then you could use the extra light from the Supernova. I also have the angled eyepiece and would not recommend it for firearms for the added cost. It is really fat so it gets in the way of stock combs and is just another thing to have to adjust if you are looking at multiple bores of more than one Dia.