• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes bore site for USO zeroing??

sch2046

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Sunbury, OH
Which bore site did you guys use when zeroing the erek? The only one I can find that looks like the one in the video is the Leupold but before I buy one, I wanted to see what you guys used? Or do I even need one?
Thanks,
Sean

Re: bore site for USO zeroing??

If you are doing it right, it will take you 3, max 5 rounds to get the scope on and close to a zero, so unless you will be zeroing lots of rifles or taking your scope off a lot, you don't need a bore laser.

I have never used one but on their web site it says to zero, with the erek, to use a bore sighter not the laser type but the type that attaches to the end of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ring USO and ask? </div></div>
Wow, thanks for that insite. I was hoping a knowledgeable Hide member may have the answer.

I have an el cheapo BSA arbor-style bore sighter I picked up at Academy Sports for $20-$30. I've used it to zero two USO SN-3's with EREK knobs.

USO sells them, and you can also find other brands on the online re-sellers like midwayusa.

However, it only gets you close, almost never a true zero until you actually go to the range and put some rounds on the paper to confirm it.

^ what he said. The BSA was great for zeroing the EREK, because it uses the grid style that shows up well when rotating your scope to find center of the pinwheel. I had to go run some rounds through the gun to get actual zero.

I put my SN3 on a different rifle and got the EREK out of whack. I used a Leupold magnetic boresighter to regain zero and maximize travel. Incidentally, using the magnetic boresighter helped me really understand how the EREK works.

I've zeroed my scope with the eyeball method. I've zeroed my scope with a Laserlyte (only did this once...kind of made me nervous.) I like the magnetic boresighter method of all the methods I've tried so far. Any method I've used required a true-up at the range. To each their own...

USO doesn't make their magnetic boresighter anymore. Possibly some friendly pressure on the Hide would help? Heh-heh
smile.gif

Thanks guys, I knew I would have to put some rounds down the tube to get true zero, but their video had me a little confused on how the erek needed to be turned etc. I appreciat the help.
Sean

Despite watching the video, I also had some questions about rezeroing my EREK when I got my first (I was the 2nd owner) USO SN-3. The beauty of owning a scope from USO is their excellent customer service. Call USO and ask to speak with one of their tech guys that can walk you through rezeroing your EREK. I was given a patient walk through by one of their techs. He had a model similar to mine in his hands as he gave me the info I needed, so there wasn't any nomenclature barrier.

To zero an EREK there are few ways to do it.

The easiest by far is to take the rifle to the range and zero the rifle/scope just like any other. Oh make sure you have the EREK cap with the hole in it installed.

Once you have your zero take the allen wrench that fits down in the EREK and HOLD IT STILL while turning the knob clockwise until it stops. Keep holding the wrench still and back off the "bottom" about 5 - 10 "clicks".

Depending on how still you held the allen wrench you should be pretty close to your original zero.

Zero the rifle/scope again by shooting it.

Count the number of clicks "down" to the hard stop and then dial them back on. You should still be zero'd. If you ever get lost on the dial you now know how to get back to your zero.

Holding the EREK still undo the two little allen screws on top of the EREK cap. Slip the knob to zero and replace the cap with the solid one.

Done

Cheers,

Doc