• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore snake snag

GoWyo

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2001
Central Highlands of Wyoming
Had a first today while cleaning my AR-17. (.17 rem AR-15)

The end loop on the bore snake lassooed the gas tube in the receiver. I didn't realize it at first and I thought it had bound up in the bore. Lots of cussing until I saw what happened. Took me 20 minutes of fiddling to cut it loose, trying not to scrape off all of the anodizing on the ejection port.

Anyone else been snared before?

Re: Bore snake snag

Bore snake = really good way to drag abrasive crap through you barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bore snake = really good way to drag abrasive crap through you barrel. </div></div>

What kind of abrasive crap? Is the boresnake itself abrasive? Is it something that you would apply to the boresnake that would be abrasive? Or is it something that is already inside the barrel that is abrasive that other cleaning process's would render non-abrasive?

I understand that a boresnake is not the most thorough way to clean a weapon, but I would like to know why it is a downright bad way to clean a weapon.

I've used both conventional methods and boresnakes (when I'm in a hurry) and I wouldn't mind hearing a logical explanation of why I should stop using a boresnake immediately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't mind hearing a logical explanation of why I should stop using a boresnake immediately.</div></div>

I hear they can lasso on the gas tube in the receiver and get stuck.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't mind hearing a logical explanation of why I should stop using a boresnake immediately.</div></div>

I hear they can lasso on the gas tube in the receiver and get stuck.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Lol, well played sir, well played.

I use a boresnake occasionally. Good for a quick clean, fine for what it was designed for. I much prefer a rod for a thorough cleaning...

just so you saturate the leading part of the snake with clp and go from breech to muzzle i see no problem right??

CDK, that's how I do it. I wash my bore snakes after two uses. Throw them in a fishnet bag and hot water/detergent in the washing machine.

I still use a chamber guide and rod when I'm done using them for the foreseeable future (hunting rifles) or think they really need a douching.

Love the bore foam too.

I think they have their place, but some folks think its all they need to clean their weapons and they neglect the Chamber