• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bore Snakes any good?

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I don't believe in getting a barrel spotless so I've been using them in several of my rifles. Followed by dry patches, followed by a patch with a light amount of oil since the rifle may be stored in the safe for a couple of months until it's next use. Does this sound like a decent procedure?

Re: Bore Snakes any good?

After reading about more than one bore snake user that experienced a broken pull cord while the snake was in the barrel, I won't ever use one in a rifle........if you break the pull cord while it is in the barrel, there is no good way to get it out.........

I carry them in my kit for over seas use, but I always carry some USGI cleaning rods just in case you get a stuck case, or something else gets in the barrel. The big thing that a lot of folks think is that they clean the chamber, not... A lot of those problems with the gas guns overseas are because the guys don't clean the chamber, they run a bore snake down the bore and call it good.
They are a tool for the tool box.

I agree that they are a tool for the box, but are not to be completely relied upon. I'll be doing a bunch of shooting in about a month, a long way from home. I'll take a bore snake with me, but since it was brougt to my attention that some people have had the cord break, I'll take a cleaning rod as well.

The big advantage to the bore snake is it's convenient and easy to use. I use one on .22lrs. I pull it through about 3 times after shooting half a brick, mainly to clean the chamber a bit. If you clean immediately after shooting it is easier.

I wouldn't get one for my centerfire bolt guns, but I'm close to home and they foul less.

my 22 cal and 30 cal bore snakes are 30" long...

what barrels are people getting these things stuck in if the cord breaks???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 22 cal and 30 cal bore snakes are 30" long...

what barrels are people getting these things stuck in if the cord breaks??? </div></div>

The real concern if one were to have the cord break is that to remove you would have a reversal of the bristels on the brush(s) and thats bad ju-ju.

The nylon cord will also cut into your crown if you are not careful about pulling
them straight out of the barrel.

I like the OTIS cleaning kit. I have had very good luck with mine and it has never broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the rifle may be stored in the safe for a couple of months until it's next use. Does this sound like a decent procedure?</div></div>

This is the biggest problem I see!!

I pull the brush out of mine and keep them clean they act a a big long patch. As for you process sounds good.

I use a bores snake for 2 things.

1 - My shotgun

2 - When in Africa I had a mud wasp that kept trying to get at the muzzle of my rifle. I kept a bore snake in the barrel over night with the bolt closed to keep is closed up at both ends. The bore snake was pulled out in the morning and i knew that I had a clean dry bore.

Terrible bits of gear. You can NEVER get them clean so end up running an abrasive cord through your gun over and over.
The ONLY place they have is when you need an emergency cleaning kit and understand throwing the thing out after a few uses. I would even be happier cleaning from the muzzle and using a guide than running a snake through the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible bits of gear. You can NEVER get them clean so end up running an abrasive cord through your gun over and over.
The ONLY place they have is when you need an emergency cleaning kit and understand throwing the thing out after a few uses. I would even be happier cleaning from the muzzle and using a guide than running a snake through the action. </div></div>

the ones i use clean up pretty easily in the sink with some dish detergent... the idea isnt to get the bore spotless, if your bore is spotless you are overcleaning and doing damage no matter how you go about it. I fail to see how a brass brush, powerful solvent followed by a patch covered in the crap you are trying to remove is less abrasive than a glorified shoestring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible bits of gear. You can NEVER get them clean so end up running an abrasive cord through your gun over and over.
The ONLY place they have is when you need an emergency cleaning kit and understand throwing the thing out after a few uses. I would even be happier cleaning from the muzzle and using a guide than running a snake through the action. </div></div>

I cleanse mine by placing them in a plastic container with water and woolite. I swish it around every 30 minutes or so, then rinse with clean water. Works for me.

I love em. Quick and easy. Most importantly, they clean better than a patch. How could they not... they're a hundred times longer - more surface area to clean to bore with. Use a larger snake than the exact caliber.

A clown would pull the cord to the side out the muzzle

With pliers mash the wire flat if you don't like it.

Treat the first several inches of the cleaning part with cleaner. The rest will dry the bore sufficient for shooting, or treat the last part of the snake with brake cleaner.

Mine wash fine with hot water and soap. I hung up my rods for obsessive days.

Hot water and dish soap does wonder to clean mine. I also never run mine more than once through the bore before being washed.

You will not clean carbon and abrasive particles out of them.
They get into the fibre and stay. In short order you have an abrasive rope. Grab a microscope and have a look. you won't need much power. Cleaning a bit of the colour out of them does not make it clean at all.

Get an old scope. One new and one used bore snake. Run them over the lense in different areas under light pressure.

I never felt the need for them. They might be good for a quick on-field cleaning, but at home I use patches, brushes & Co.

I carry an Otis and a few patches if I need to clear the bore but otherwise clean only with a one-piece carbon rod and a Lucas bore guide...but only to a point. No need to get the barrel squeaky clean.

As was mentioned, however, make sure the chamber doesn't get gunked up. That can lead to over-pressure and feeding/extraction problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not clean carbon and abrasive particles out of them.
They get into the fibre and stay. In short order you have an abrasive rope. Grab a microscope and have a look. you won't need much power. Cleaning a bit of the colour out of them does not make it clean at all.

Get an old scope. One new and one used bore snake. Run them over the lense in different areas under light pressure.

</div></div>

yeah but no more abrasive than a bore brush, jb bore paste, a patch with crud from the chamber, or even a bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the rifle may be stored in the safe for a couple of months until it's next use. Does this sound like a decent procedure?</div></div>

This is the biggest problem I see!! </div></div>

I agree, I wish it wasn't that way. It looks like the masses are divided on the Bore Snake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
yeah but no more abrasive than a bore brush, jb bore paste, a patch with crud from the chamber, or even a bullet. </div></div>

you need to read up a bit. Brushes are not abrasive in ANY way, the BR's report gas wearing of the crown BEFORE brush wearing (which should tell you something). JB is non embedding. Patches absorb, push and are not put through over and over (same patch). Bullets are "lubricated" by previous fouling, this is why the first shots on a clean barrel often have noticeably lower speed and different POA.

If you can't justify something in a factual manner just say you like them and they fit your needs best. No one would have an issue with that
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The nylon cord will also cut into your crown if you are not careful about pulling
them straight out of the barrel. </div></div>

What kind of barrel has such poor metallurgy that a nylon cord will cut or deform it? I could see if it were infused with diamond dust or some sort of harsh abrasive, but a bore snake?? Not in this lifetime. How many inmates would be roaming free if shoelaces could cut steel?

I grind locking shoulders on FAL's and lap bolts (M14's) and I'm always impressed with how much effort it takes to remove any material with lapping compound or even files when it comes to rifle steel.

About this "stuck boresnake" issue...the boresnake has such a long cord that I cannot understand how you would ever get one stuck in a bore. When you drop it through a 22" barrel you have a foot of cord hanging out the muzzle, at the chamber, the swab hasn't even begun to be pulled into the chamber, so you have the entire swab easily within grasp. Not to mention that the swabbed end of the snake is looped so you can grasp it and pull it back through if you wanted. If your bore is burred enough to snag and tear a boresnake, then your problem does not lie in the integrity of the snake...you are in need of a competent gunsmith.

The boresnake is a great field expedient. I initially started using one so that I could quickly clean a bore at the range after using corrosive ammo. After using this product through the last several years on corrosive bores, I tried it out in other calibers, and have switched to it almost exclusively. I have purchased ONE .308 snake that gets the most use. I've had it 3 years. I shoot and clean 10 FAL's, 2 M14's, Rem 700, 3 AK's of Berdan primed surplus ammo and all their bores look like mirrors...AND...NOT ONE of them has nicks, grooves, or SLOTS
crazy.gif
that have been sawed into them from a boresnake.

This anti boresnake stuff is just crapola. Show me hard evidence to support any of this. The only negative thing that I can say about the boresnake is that it requires me to pull it through the bore. Honestly, this device has cut the amount of time I spend cleaning a rifle by at least 1/2.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Hoppes boresnake. I have no financial interest in the product, nor do I have any personal gain from endorsing it. It is just a solid product!

No, dude, really! The nylon cord will mess up your crown - if you pull a Boresnake through your rifle 10,000 times per day for 10 years, pulling sideways on the cord <span style="font-style: italic">every freaking time</span>.

That's not really high on my list of things to worry about - but if anyone is planning to do that, please let me know so I can buy stock in the company which makes them.

I have 1k rounds on a Bartlein 5R 6.5mm barrel and it sees a bore snake every 1-200 rounds or maybe after a extended shooting session. This barrel has never seen a brush or any "paste" or other unnecessary crap. It shoots outstanding. Only after the first 30 rounds did it see a patch and brush.
Bore snakes are excellent.

Many years ago, I first saw a top BRer feed a then new bore snake down his barrel and asked "Do you think that is safe on the barrel?." He barely looked up to say "improved some since 1889. Safer than 1/2 the guys yanking on the line."

DSC07906.jpg

I have a cleaning rod in the truck.
I have a spare rifle in the truck.
I never get more than half a day's hike from the truck.

I am already carrying a GPS, walkie talkie, binoculars, range finder, knife, water, ammo, drag harness, cell phone, lens capes, tape over the muzzle, Kestrel Wind Speed Meter, calculator, ballistic tables, knee pads, band aids, ....
How much junk should I take?

ihave one i use for my 12 ga ill use it if im out in the field
for crappy weather if im not gonna get to clean it right after im done using it. it works wont says its the best but it does the job .

I use one on my .22s and my Savage .223. Both shoot great but I usually only go through 20-50 rounds before pulling the bore snake through them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
yeah but no more abrasive than a bore brush, jb bore paste, a patch with crud from the chamber, or even a bullet. </div></div>

you need to read up a bit. Brushes are not abrasive in ANY way, the BR's report gas wearing of the crown BEFORE brush wearing (which should tell you something). JB is non embedding. Patches absorb, push and are not put through over and over (same patch). Bullets are "lubricated" by previous fouling, this is why the first shots on a clean barrel often have noticeably lower speed and different POA.

If you can't justify something in a factual manner just say you like them and they fit your needs best. No one would have an issue with that
smile.gif
</div></div>

um... ok so a brass rod will embed but a brass brush wont??? jb is non embedding but it is an abrasive. Yeah patches absorb... they absorb the stuff in your chamber and throat and drag it the whole length of your barrel just like a bore snake. A bore snake wont remove ALL of the fouling in a couple of pulls... so by your logic the barrel will be just fine since it will still be "lubricated" by the fouling that keeps the bullet from wearing on the barrel.

justified enough for ya?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What kind of barrel has such poor metallurgy that a nylon cord will cut or deform it?
<span style="color: #FF0000">Got a mower of grass cutter with cold pull start? Go look at the metal edge it runs through.</span>

I could see if it were infused with diamond dust or some sort of harsh abrasive,
<span style="color: #FF0000">Like carbon? Just how hard is it? glass?</span>

but a bore snake?? Not in this lifetime. How many inmates would be roaming free if shoelaces could cut steel?
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you don't know about some thing take time to learn before commenting
wink.gif
</span>

I grind locking shoulders on FAL's and lap bolts (M14's) and I'm always impressed with how much effort it takes to remove any material with lapping compound or even files when it comes to rifle steel.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Not relevant. You are quite wrong and there is no doubt they cause wear.</span>

The boresnake is a great field expedient.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Yep, it's an ideal throw away emergency tool. </span>

I initially started using one so that I could quickly clean a bore at the range after using corrosive ammo. After using this product through the last several years on corrosive bores, I tried it out in other calibers, and have switched to it almost exclusively. I have purchased ONE .308 snake that gets the most use. I've had it 3 years. I shoot and clean 10 FAL's, 2 M14's, Rem 700, 3 AK's of Berdan primed surplus ammo and all their bores look like mirrors...AND...NOT ONE of them has nicks, grooves, or SLOTS
crazy.gif
that have been sawed into them from a boresnake.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Used a bore scope? If you had you would SEE what is being spoken about. You are wrong.</span>

This anti boresnake stuff is just crapola. Show me hard evidence to support any of this. The only negative thing that I can say about the boresnake is that it requires me to pull it through the bore. Honestly, this device has cut the amount of time I spend cleaning a rifle by at least 1/2.
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you THOUGHT about what you said in your post, looked a few things up and had an open mind you would understand why you are wrong. Force feeding people is a waste of time. If you are happy, great, just don't push your opinion which is not factual as being accurate. It's not. How hard is Carbon?
wink.gif
</span>

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Hoppes boresnake. I have no financial interest in the product, nor do I have any personal gain from endorsing it. It is just a solid product! </div></div>
For sure, when you MUST clean something out they are a perfect emergency kit. For all cleaning? No way. That would be idiotic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AUJohn said:
um... ok so a brass rod will embed but a brass brush wont???
<span style="color: #FF0000">Why are you being silly? When do yo use a bronze brush? EVERY time, EVERY stroke? Or just to remove some carbon from time to time? They also tend to be made of much harder bronze and have limited surface area. Bristles "roll" over the surface. What's the life span on a brush? I get 3-6 cleanings out of them before the size drops too much. [color]

jb is non embedding but it is an abrasive.
[color:#FF0000]But it's not embedding.... Understand? </span>

Yeah patches absorb... they absorb the stuff in your chamber and throat and drag it the whole length of your barrel just like a bore snake.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Cotton VS Nylon. Single use VS over and over....</span>

A bore snake wont remove ALL of the fouling in a couple of pulls... so by your logic the barrel will be just fine since it will still be "lubricated" by the fouling that keeps the bullet from wearing on the barrel.
<span style="color: #FF0000">No and being idiotic to justify your opinion does not help your case. What I said was factual. Why is it better to be incorrect than put some thought into a subject, learn and improve yourself?Why is it wrong of me to post accurate posts? Should I simply accept that people are wrong, not care about them teaching others crap and let you get on with it? </span>

justified enough for ya? </div></div>
No, just made you look silly. LEARN then decide. If, after understanding you feel it is not an issue for you, great. Just don't push it when you don't know what you are talking about.
Bore Snakes have a place. It should not be for every day cleaning duties.
If you decide to use it for this then great. Just make an informed choice
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AUJohn said:
um... ok so a brass rod will embed but a brass brush wont???
<span style="color: #FF0000">Why are you being silly? When do yo use a bronze brush? EVERY time, EVERY stroke? Or just to remove some carbon from time to time? They also tend to be made of much harder bronze and have limited surface area. Bristles "roll" over the surface. What's the life span on a brush? I get 3-6 cleanings out of them before the size drops too much. [color]

jb is non embedding but it is an abrasive.
[color:#FF0000]But it's not embedding.... Understand? </span>

Yeah patches absorb... they absorb the stuff in your chamber and throat and drag it the whole length of your barrel just like a bore snake.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Cotton VS Nylon. Single use VS over and over....</span>

A bore snake wont remove ALL of the fouling in a couple of pulls... so by your logic the barrel will be just fine since it will still be "lubricated" by the fouling that keeps the bullet from wearing on the barrel.
<span style="color: #FF0000">No and being idiotic to justify your opinion does not help your case. What I said was factual. Why is it better to be incorrect than put some thought into a subject, learn and improve yourself?Why is it wrong of me to post accurate posts? Should I simply accept that people are wrong, not care about them teaching others crap and let you get on with it? </span>

justified enough for ya? </div></div>
No, just made you look silly. LEARN then decide. If, after understanding you feel it is not an issue for you, great. Just don't push it when you don't know what you are talking about.
Bore Snakes have a place. It should not be for every day cleaning duties.
If you decide to use it for this then great. Just make an informed choice
wink.gif
</div></div>

I dont know what im talking about? I guess lowlight, jacob and the rest of the experts are all just as dumb as me then.

Who gives a shit if JB embeds its still an abrasive... you know the black shit on the patch after you use it? Thats your barrel!
but its ok cause it doesnt embed!

show me ONE barrel ruined from a bore snake that was used properly! Until then shut the fuck up with your snobby "I know better than everyone" attitude. You post contradictions then say Im being silly an acting like a idiot?!

What facts are you basing any of your opinion on? Your claim of embedded carbon in the bore snake causeing damage is purely theoretical. Where is your proof? I wanna see a messed up barrel!

Bore Snakes are great for what I use them for. I use them when carrying a box full of cleaning rods and supplies just isn't practical.

use it as a backup,throw it in your range bag,it will not take the place of a good cleaning rod YMMV

I've never liked bore snakes, they work great for shot guns, but using them for a rifle in mind isnt a great idea.

Sometimes this place is like sandbox of children arguing. Use whatever you want. Nobody gives a shit what someone else uses in their dumb ass barrel. I think bore snakes are probably pretty good. So what if it becomes an abrasive rope -- that's what I want, dummy. Just clean your barrel or not. No more shooting than most on here are doing neither whether or not nor the method will make any discernable distinction from any other method. Shooting the freakn rifle will get you much farther along towards your goal than worrying about which cleaning method to use.
Just shut up and shoot! Damn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes this place is like sandbox of children arguing. Use whatever you want. Nobody gives a shit what someone else uses in their dumb ass barrel. I think bore snakes are probably pretty good. So what if it becomes an abrasive rope -- that's what I want, dummy. Just clean your barrel or not. No more shooting than most on here are doing neither whether or not nor the method will make any discernable distinction from any other method. Shooting the freakn rifle will get you much farther along towards your goal than worrying about which cleaning method to use.
Just shut up and shoot! Damn. </div></div>

Did somebody have a bad day?

I love bore snakes. I think everyone should own at least three and pull them through their barrel after each 100 shot string.

Keep me on speed dial please, I'll be here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes this place is like sandbox of children arguing. Use whatever you want. Nobody gives a shit what someone else uses in their dumb ass barrel. I think bore snakes are probably pretty good. So what if it becomes an abrasive rope -- that's what I want, dummy. Just clean your barrel or not. No more shooting than most on here are doing neither whether or not nor the method will make any discernable distinction from any other method. Shooting the freakn rifle will get you much farther along towards your goal than worrying about which cleaning method to use.
Just shut up and shoot! Damn. </div></div>

Simpson.............snap out of it, come towards the light.

LOL; my boys have my posts flagged! I'm flattered. Hey RAD, the 6.5AR is supposed to be ready next week. I'll let you

Did somebody have a bad day?[/quote]

Yes!
Oh well...I've been keeping quiet but that was it. I can see how a BR Hall of Fame Shooter may not use a snake but all us other clowns would be better off using a snake or not even cleaning due to banging around in a barrel that was better off before a rod went through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have any proof that boresnakes are a bad idea?

edit: page 2 </div></div>

Of course not. They don't like snakes because using one makes them feel silly.