• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bore solvent, best one out there?

Hykin_C

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just wondering what bore solvents you guys use and what is the best out there. Personal experiences,oppinions. Thanks.

Hykin,C

Re: Bore solvent, best one out there?

One patch with Kroil. Then two with Butch's Bore shine. Nylon brush with Butch's: down once and short yanks back out. Wait five. Two dry patches. Then one with Kroil. Done.

I use Butch's bore shine, but I dont whimp out and use a nylon brush
laugh.gif
, instead I run 2 wet patches through the bore and then I give it a good scrubbing with a good ole bronze brush. Then 2 more wet patches and then 2 dry ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been pleased with Boretech Eliminator. </div></div>

+1 Boretech Eliminator

Bullets seem to work well.

WipeOut ... love the stuff!
No smell ... eats copper like a hobo on a ham & cheese ... !

I like the Foams, and have found that Outer's works well and has been available locally where others are harder to find.

After getting to briefly borrow and apply a borescope to the process; I have no doubts that the stuff is effective; and that where effort is involved, the foams make cleaning too easy to avoid on the excuse of it being a chore. All I use is the foam and patches; no brushes, no abrasives. A rod guide is necessary, period.

I view cleaning as a necessary evil.

The fouling shots it requires afterward impose extra bore wear, which has to be balanced out against the concerns about long term pitting.

I prefer to clean and refoul, but the important thing is that my rifles tend to get laid up for weeks on end between fullbore shooting sessions; so the steps that count are related to removing pitting agents and sealing the bore surface against moisture and oxygen over those lay-ups.

If I were fortunate enough to have time and ammo sufficient to shoot every several days, my concerns would be far less urgent. My concerns are for what those fouling products are doing in the longer term, in combination with atmospheric oxygen and moisture.

Greg

I used Hoppes BR for years and thought it did a good job, but I won some KG stuff at a shoot and used it after my normal cleaning with the BR and it got stuff out of the bore I couldn't believe.

I'm like Greg and am a little anal about corrosion, as I've seen more bores ruined by rust than anything else. All the guns I shoot a lot are SS now, except one of my Prairie Dog guns and it will get a SS bbl when this one is shot out.

When I'm done cleaning, I leave a pretty heavy film of CLP on everything. If it's going up for a long time, I get out the RIG grease, thin it down a little with CLP and lay it on pretty heavy.

If the copper build up is heavy, then Sweets or Barnes CR 10. Don't leave it in the bore over 15 minutes, and don't mix it with other products. Wash your copper brush after use if you want it to last for another cleaning. If the build up is minimal tehn Hoppes Elite in gel form works great. Good luck

+1 for Boretech and TM solution...Aggressive for bad carbon fouling.JB paste for throat maintenance.

Using nickel coated or plastic jags to monitor amount of copper left in the barrel by the blue/green color on the patch.Leave a little copper in the barrel.Don't waist your time cleaning it all out because it'll be right back after your next shot.

Steve

I like TM because it has no smell, but BBS works better on copper, I only clean about every 350+ rounds.

Regardless of the brands I always make sure that the powder/lead solvent does not conflict with the copper solvent. Remember nylon brushes can be more abrasive then bronze brushes.

I use Kroil for everything general cleaning, plus PatchOut/WipeOut for the ones that tends to copper-foul.

I use 2 wet patches of Butches then a bunch of patches saturated with Witches Brew. It really strips out the copper and carbon fouling. I keep a close eye on my bores with a borescope.

Wow, this will be a topic with many opinions...

I usually use Butch's Bore Shine. WipeOut is a great one to use also. Both work on carbon as well as copper fouling.

I believe that the chemical should do the work, so apply them with a mop, patch or nylon brush.

Harsher chemicals are sometimes called for when fouling is excessive or only one type of fouling is being attacked. I have had good results from Sweet's 7.62 for copper and GM Top Engine Cleaner for carbon.

I reserve the brass brushes and abrasive cleaners for special problems/applications.

Mike

Put me down for Butche's Bone shine. If you have ever met him, then you will know why I call it that. JPG

KG-12 big bore cleaner is the best copper solvent i have ever used and its not harmful to the steel. The wipeout patchout is the next best stuff i have used that is also bore safe. Then i use kroil to finish it off. It's good to also get a good carbon cutter like carb-out or use a patch on a brush of any type that is smaller then the bore and use JB or ISSOI on the patch. I never ever use any kind of brush directly on the bore. Before breaking in the throat use a saphire or 600 grit on the first few inches of the rifling for about 10-20 strokes then wipe out with kroil.

Best stuff you can get...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25965/Product/KG12_BIG_BORE_CLEANER

A men on the KG 12...I only use it when i have a bad problem and it really gets the copper out fast...

Is butch's harsh on the bore if not taken out right away, and if so what exactly is it that is bad for barrels? I use butch's and then kroil to coat the barrel when I put it away.

KG-12 is "weird". It does not soak the Hoppes patches I have. It just glides over them w/out penetrating the patch surface.

I have been told by some old bench rest shooters to use a mix of 50/50 shooters choice bore cleaner and kroil. They say it's the best for removing moly from the bore.

Anyone ever herd of doing this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Kroil for everything general cleaning, plus PatchOut/WipeOut for the ones that tends to copper-foul.
</div></div>

Plus 1 exactly except I dont use Patchout (never have tried it). Lots of good cleaners and solvents that will do the job, try some and see what works for you. Alot depends on "how" you clean, what works well for me may not for you. You're doing the right thing by researching it first though.

okie

haha I guess this is one of those questions that falls into the category of, If you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers. Thanks for all the posts boys!

Hykin,C

I was rockin the Butches till using Wipe Out. I wore my arm out with Butches but could not get anything out but I could see it, shot a jag of Wipe Out down the bore and gave it a half hour and pushed a blue patch out did one more shot and I was GTG. Now I just use one shot every 50-60, make it clean. I'm going to add a Kroil patch to finish and see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of the brands I always make sure that the powder/lead solvent does not conflict with the copper solvent. Remember nylon brushes can be more abrasive then bronze brushes. </div></div>
Maybe tooth brushes should be made out of bronze?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Kroil for everything general cleaning, plus PatchOut/WipeOut for the ones that tends to copper-foul.
</div></div>
Plus 1 exactly except I dont use Patchout (never have tried it).</div></div>
PatchOut is the same formula, but you wet the bore with patches.
I always used WipeOut, but with gas operated guns it gave me some problem since it flows back in the gas tube and eventually in the receiver.
PatchOut does not do that.

KG12 with Flitz on patch.
Bronze brush.
Clean patch.
Kroil with Flitz on a patch.
Bronze brush.
Clean patch.
Should see strips of Copper coming out.

Observe muzzle bore with Nite Ize 20" light and a magnifier.
If there is any sign of Copper, repeat process.

As soon as done, rinse Copper solvent off Bronze brush.

Bronze brushes are good for ~ 10 strokes before they are relegated to a smaller caliber.
Measure the brush diameter with calipers.
Brush must be bigger than groove diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is butch's harsh on the bore if not taken out right away, and if so what exactly is it that is bad for barrels? I use butch's and then kroil to coat the barrel when I put it away. </div></div>

No butch's is not bad for the bore. I used it alot with the older sweets before i found wipe out and patch out. The ammonia and some other chemicals in cleanres thats bad for the bore and can corrode it. 50 BMG is one of the worst. Yes it works great a cutting copper just cuts your bore as well if not used correctly.

my vote goes to wipeout. i get the gun really dirty, and spray it, and then leave it overnight..come back in the morning, and its all clean

Another Kroil fan here.

I use Sweets on the old scuzzy stuff I pick up to bust the neglect out of the bore, but thats about all I use it for.

Butch's and Hoppe's for cleaning after long stretches at the range and then a few swipes with Kroil on a loose fitting patch to keep the pipe clean for storage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KG 12.

Didn't some one here do a comparative test with about 20 solvents and bullets?

ETA: Found it here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1826315&page=1 </div></div>

+1 I have found KG 12 to be VERY effective on my personal firearms. I have used it after my soldiers tell me that their M4's are clean... "Oh yeah? If I pull some crap outta your barrel, how many pushups are you willing to bet?"

I haven't had to do one pushup yet...

Notaguru, are you are referring to Montana Extreme 50 BMG as being one of the worst for barrels? I have to say that I have researched it quite a bit and found that it is ferrous and non ferrous metal safe. Also states on the bottles and their website "Completely barrel safe and contains no acids, amines or chlorides." and also "Note: Copper Killer 50 B.M.G. will not damage the barrel and additional “soaking” time is not harmful." I like everything about the stuff other than the smell... WOW.

But like everyone I have about 10 different kinds of barrel cleaners on my bench.

I have gotten away from Barnes CR10 in my Ar's because of first hand experiences of rust in stainless barrels at the barrel extension if you don't get every last bit of the CR10 out. I shudder to think what it would do to a gas block if you don't flush it out after cleaning.

I do like Witches Brew too.

Gun Tests used 50BMG and found it to be the best for Copper removal.

Montana xtreme for me.but my weapons aint none to fancy

Good combo- Butch's Bore Shine, 91 Iso Alcohol, then Wipe Out.......

Switched to Bore Tech Elim. instead of Butch's. Seems to work well.

I used to use Hoppes 9...it worked great on copper fouling. I switched to Butch and never looked back. It attacks everything.

KG-1 for carbon and KG-12 for copper. Always worked well for me plus they are safe to leave in the barrel unlike some other solvents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoredEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KG-1 for carbon and KG-12 for copper. Always worked well for me plus they are safe to leave in the barrel unlike some other solvents. </div></div>

This is what I use kg1 for carbon. Never had any issues with copper and my rifle shoots fine.

I also like Mpro7 for my handguns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gettn2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WipeOut ... love the stuff!
No smell ... eats copper like a hobo on a ham & cheese ... ! </div></div>

lmao ham and cheese

and i love my patch out with accelerater then i finish up with a patch of rem oil