• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore tech bullets for 338 Lapua

Re: Bore tech bullets for 338 Lapua

Just tried them today!

Sako TRG-42
New Lapua Brass
VV N560
Fed 215M
OAL 3.890 (single loaded, non ejectable w/out removing bolt)

grains/feet per second
84 2807
86 2842
88 2917
90 2962 (faint plunger mark but no other pressure signs)

89 2969
89 2962
89 2962
No visible pressure signs
Group at 150yds was ~3.5moa
Bullets were starting to keyhole.
I need a slightly faster twist rate!

If you are seeing a plunger mark, your pressures are likely past SAAMI max pressure for the cartridge. It means brass is starting to flow/deform at the base.

Load data for lead core and solids of the same weight is not interchangable due to the longer bearing surface and higher land engagement forces with solids.

Since I get 250 gr Scenars to stay supersonic to 1,500 yards and don't get to shoot to 1,000 often let alone longer distances I just stick with them. They have been VERY accurate out of a 26" 1-10 barrel at 2950 fps

Regarding pressure-
I dropped from 90 to 89 grains for a 3 shot group because of the faint plunger mark. The 89 grain loading did not show the mark and the primers looked the same as the lighter loads.

Check Bore Tech's FAQ

They advise to start with the max load of an identical weight jacketed bullet...then work up. They claim any jacketed bullet data is safe with their solids.

This would not hold true for most solid COPPER bullets.

The V3 .338 is 1.80 long vs the Scenar at 1.55.
The bearing surface however, is nearly the same. The Scenar might actually have more bearing surface when the driving bands of the Bore Tech are factored in.

Its back to shooting Scenars (and Accubonds and maybe Sierras) for me.

SMH,

Is your TRG a 10 or 12 twist? I have the 10 twist and was about to start loading some of these but won't bother if you couldn't get them to stabilize. Was going to use:

Lapua Brass
VV570 or Retumbo
Fed 215M
OAL- I would like to use with magazine so somewhat shorter than your loads.

Thanks for the Help!

C