• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Borescope pictures - What is this? Wheres the freebore?

tactical328

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2021
WASHINGTON
Just borescoped this Mcgowen 7mm RSAUM, instructed to cut .180" freebore and chamber when ordering the barrel. Can someone tell me what I am looking at here?
I see rifling all the way to the chamber neck and no freebore. I am not an expert but zero of my barrels look anything close to this, what are those machine marks between the lands? Compared to my Southern Precision cut Bartlein, Shilen, Carbonsix, this chambering looks completely fucked.

Experts please chime in before I go off screaming

Thanks!

20220121_183922.jpg
20220121_183928.jpg

no I haven't touched anything, I assume I'm going to have to send it back or to a gunsmith to fix this. You can see shavings and oil from chambering - which I'm not worried about.

The problem is they threw a worn tool that didn't cut a proper freebore and what little it did cut isn't even concentric.

You’ll see a better image without all that crap distracting you but it doesn’t look like a long throat 7 saum.
Maybe they run a minimal freebore reamer and cut to order with a throater but forgot to use the throater?

It's possible to check your seating depth with the barrel off, so try that. If you barrel is fitted, then check your seating depth. Report back findings.

Update on the situation. I sent it back, called Mcgowen many times trying to get ahold of someone that could take a look at it and explain what was happening to the chamber. No email, no returned calls, nada. I called again today and was greeted by an angry old man that refused to answer my questions and as to why the lands run all the way to the case mouth and maybe he had a worn reamer that wasn't cutting. He insisted that there was a throat and told me he wasn't going to be putting up with my shenanigans. I asked for a refund.

After doing more research on mcgowen on other forums I'm finding alot of displeased individuals, alot of bad chamber work, and including a few guys that slugged their bores with gauge pins and found that they change size significantly throughout the length of the barrels. One guy "Barrels were way out of concentricity. Not one. Think it was three in a row. Discussion with them showed Mcgowan resistant and miserable." Which mirrors my conversation with said angry old man.

Overall aside from wasting a bunch of time I feel alot better that i'm dodging a barrel that has trash machine work and likely significantly inconsistent. Fair warning friends, this might just be my experience with them, but I don't like giving my money to people that are expectant and angry when being paid to do work, especially paid the price they name. Blame the customer when they ask to have a problem fixed.... which doesn't make much sense since I didn't do anything to the barrel except check it with a borescope.

dodged a bullet on this one, fingers crossed the refund goes through without a hitch.