• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Borka Tools Custom PTL kit.

dieselgeek

Do you even Shoot Bro?
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I was talking to Boris about his PTL-65 and how much I liked it, but wished I had one for my rings, mounts, and mini chassis. He said he was planning on offering it like this in a custom kit and sent me one to try. Here is an overview of them, and how they faired on my rifle.

Borka Tools Custom PTL kit.

This is a quick and more exact tool. IMO it's also faster and easier to use. As well as more precise.

This is a quick and more exact tool. IMO it's also faster and easier to use. As well as more precise.

Ryan is correct. PTL is calibrated within +/-2% of nominal torque, and does not require user to read manual. As we all know, reading manual before using the product is something that is not done on the regular basis. MTD, to be accurate, must be used in accordance with instructions provided in its manual. While MTD is both reasonably accurate and consistent, if used properly, PTL is super accurate and super consistent regardless of way it is driven by the user. There is only one way to use it. Another somewhat related video shot by AtOne provides additional info on how PTL works for FNH SCAR barrel change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJck-Sg1uh8

On the other hand, I am simply amazed at a number of various methods people are using to apply torque with my MTD. These various methods seem to work for them anyway, although I truly wish they would utilize their MTDs strictly as recommended by provided instructions.

PTL, in essence, is less expensive alternative to Seekonk T-handle, and is built on the basis of heavy duty industrial grade torque limiter having enhanced durability, accuracy and consistency. It allows people engaged in long range precision shooting to keep rifle zeroed, as shown in Ryan's video, in addition to protecting rifle/scope/mount system from any sort of damage caused by incorrect torque application to the fasteners.

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
Definitely an interesting concept that looks simple and rugged like all Borka tools (one reason I have 3 MG kits). How much does it cost to purchase custom kits and what is the procedure for ordering them? I would not mind ordering a couple different torque values after Christmas.

This looks like a solid idea. I have a MG kit and like it. I'd rather have a kit that's exactly what I need for my rifle and ring setup.

Gentlemen, to answer your questions and provide a bit more details about this custom set:

At the moment, I have decent qty. of 65 inch-lbs. torque tools, but only small qty. of PTLs with other torque settings, like 25, 35, 45, 55, 62, 100, etc. PTLs will be offered in the range of torque settings from 15 to 100 inch-lbs., in most popular torque settings. Possibly, I'll also have PTL in 140 inch-lbs. for LMT, samples are now being tested.

Need to add to the inventory to be able to offer variety of torque settings as desired by the customers. I should have this resolved very soon. When I do, I'm planning to have a limited time SH GB first, in hope to get, as always, some valuable feedback form SH members, then have suitable system of ordering implemented thru my website.

Total price will be determined by the number of desired torque limiters and accessories. Price for any torque limiter included in a kit is estimated to be close to $45. Additional accessories may cost anywhere from $5 to $25, depending upon the variety. There will be also a universal carry pouch offered to hold up to 3 of the torque limiters and accessories, which I hope Tony from TAB GEAR will be suppying as needed... Price for the pouch is to be determined.

In the mean time, please feel free to contact me now at [email protected], if you're interested.

Boris

Last edited:
Ryan is correct. PTL is calibrated within +/-2% of nominal torque, and does not require user to read manual. As we all know, reading manual before using the product is something that is not done on the regular basis. MTD, to be accurate, must be used in accordance with instructions provided in its manual. While MTD is both reasonably accurate and consistent, if used properly, PTL is super accurate and super consistent regardless of way it is driven by the user. There is only one way to use it. Another somewhat related video shot by AtOne provides additional info on how PTL works for FNH SCAR barrel change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJck-Sg1uh8

On the other hand, I am simply amazed at a number of various methods people are using to apply torque with my MTD. These various methods seem to work for them anyway, although I truly wish they would utilize their MTDs strictly as recommended by provided instructions.

PTL, in essence, is less expensive alternative to Seekonk T-handle, and is built on the basis of heavy duty industrial grade torque limiter having enhanced durability, accuracy and consistency. It allows people engaged in long range precision shooting to keep rifle zeroed, as shown in Ryan's video, in addition to protecting rifle/scope/mount system from any sort of damage caused by incorrect torque application to the fasteners.

Boris
Borka Tools

What is the accuracy of the MTD if it is used correctly?