• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Borrow a rear sight adjuster tool for a 1911?

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
Anybody have a rear sight adjuster for a 1911 that I could borrow? I would pay for shipping here and back.

It could be a Maryland Gun Works, or whatever you may have.

Pm me details

Thanks

Re: Borrow a front sight adjuster tool for a 1911?

I'm a bit confused by your wanting to move the front sight. For the 1911, windage is usually adjusted by moving the rear sight.

Re: Borrow a rear sight adjuster tool for a 1911?

Updated the post.

If it is just a dovetailed fixed rear sight all you need is a good brass punch and a hammer, some ammo and a little trial and error.

As above stated...punch, hammer, vice with plastic/rubber jaw covers or tape the slide.

Put some masking tape on the side of the sight before you use the punch and it will help from marring it up. Also, make sure the punch is the proper diameter...if it's too big or too thin, less energy will be delivered into the sight.

The sight tools are nice if you happen to have one handy but they are far from required.

for what it's worth, I've used steel punches more times than I can remember on customers guns...never an issue with marring the sight. Actually I've had more issues with brass leaving a mark (hence the tape).

I agree with the punch comments. Watch the video below...It is Dave Dawson installing a Glock sight set, but it is fine for most standard Novak cut installs. Make sure you don't simply try to tape the slide and then tighten it in the vise if your vise has a toothed clamping surface as it will tear up the slide. Again, below is the most effective method, IMHO, and the one I use any time I change sights.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4maCQhEIjoA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4maCQhEIjoA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Josh