• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I don't want to get flamed by the purists, but has anyone used the BORS on their scopes. I'm traveling to CO in a couple of weeks and will be visiting a cousin who uses this for bench and prone. Loves it. Seem pretty pricey to me, but again, for an old guy getting into longer distance shooting, this may add some fun to my game without such a steep learning curve. Any thoughts?

Re: BORS

No flaming but I think BORS is to entry into precision long distance shooting as automatic parallel parking features in cars are to learning to drive.

My only question is: Why?

What does BORS do better than knowing how to actually do it?

If the unit had a built in LRF, a Kestrel like wind guage, and small motors for the unit to automatically adjust the elevation and windage turrets, I think they would actually have something.

A few years ago I bought a M82A1 and got the whole package( Mark 4 and BORS). If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have bought the BORS or the scope but it was a great deal and seemed like a good idea at the time. I have since taken the BORS off and am currently not using it but I did mess around with it a bit.

That being said if the cost doesn't send you running I could see benefits to having it on a long range hunting rifle. As long as you have your loads programmed properly there is no need to carry a calculator or drop chart. Just turn the dial to display the range and you're good to go. You can even range with it but a good rangefinder would be faster and more accurate in my opinion.

I don't really think it's worth the money and especially not if it's going on a gun that's only going to be used at the range.

I use the BORS and love it! I asked the same question at one point and it seems you always get the same answers, people that have never used one telling you it's a waste of money.
I find it is verry accurate and saves time by not having to do the math and not having to count clicks on your elevation turret.
It also takes into count elevation, temperature, baometric pressure, whether you are shooting up hill or down hill and tells you if your gun is canted left or right.
For me it is one of the best pieces of equipment I own!

I never used mine in the winter so I can't say but Barret gives it an operating range of -4F to 158F.

I have not had it out yet in the cold but I will test it's limitations this winter as it gets to -40 where I am at.

its called JBM learn to use it and its easy. I had never owned a scope before got my first one last summer with mil knobs use JBM made a table up and I was all set. Now upgrading to a Nightforce and its still simple. And it gets even easier if you have a iphone or similiar cell get a ballistics program.

I've all the best equipment available for non military people..

BORS..
PDA NOMAD L800 with all the best ballistic software
PLRF 10 C
kestrel 4500 NV BT

and back up ballistic card on paper.......

everything do the same things... 1 click more 1 click minus......

it depends when you are using a tools.... how you are confortable versus the actual condition.....

you want to play with software......you use the PDA
you want to do some more calculations you use ballistic back up table
you want to dial faster...... use the BORS......

nothing more..... nothing less

I think they are a neat idea, but would not spend the money on one because it does everything but make me a sammich.

I am pretty new to long range shooting and have a pretty good vision impairment. I am really considering the BORS on a NXS 8 to 32.

if only they had a trial period... i would use it on a 338, 6.5 and 308 for Yotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the unit had a built in LRF, a Kestrel like wind guage, and small motors for the unit to automatically adjust the elevation and windage turrets, I think they would actually have something. </div></div>I'm sure that this will happen in my lifetime.

I just use my iSniper scope
smile.gif