• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bbradford71

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2010
I remember reading in several pots about aiming and shooting with both eyes open. What is the purpose of this? I find it very difficult for me to do this, I am able to see more clearly when my non shooting eye is closed.

Re: Both eyes open

I shoot with both eyes open because it reduces strain and fatigue in the muscles in my face and my situational awareness doesn't decrease nearly as much as shooting with just one eye open.

i can do it with the red dot on my AR, but not with my XDm, cant see the sights for shit with both open.

it takes alot of practice to get used to it, but i know several IDPA and USPSA shooters that swear its faster..

It does reduce eye strain, at least it does for me with hand guns.

I do it with my 1911s and my USP Tactical, but find it harder to do with scoped rifles. It is definitely an acquired skill.

I needed to practice before I could do it instinctively with a hand gun. The easiest way to do it (at least for me) was to start with a good sight picture and sight alignment on a target then slowly force open my closed eye - while still maintaining the sight picture and alignment.

I need to force it still with a scoped rifle.

Jeffvn

I think the key is whether or not there is magnificaiton involved.

I find it easy to keep both eyes open when shooting a handgun or when using a red dot type sight, but do better with one eye open when using a scope, especially a high power scope.

Even with the handgun though, my "non-dominant" eye does still produce an "offset" image in my case, significantly to the left), but with practice I was able to get to the point where I can ignore that false offset image under most conditions.

I say "false" only because that image is naturally gonig to be at a different apparent location, since the non-dominant eye is not proeprly aligned with the sights. The dominant eye is.

I think the presence of magnification makes the "composite" view of magnified small field of view image plus unmagnified lagre field of virew image a little too complex and time consuming for my mind to process quickly enough to keep the scope reticle on the target reliably.

Jim G

If you are a right handed shooter and are right eye (or left and left) dominant, using both is the same sight picture as using only your right eye.
However, if you are right handed left eye (or left hand right eye) dominant the sight picture with both open is not the same.
If that makes sense.
I shoot with one eye with a pistol. two with a rifle.
either you can or you can't. find what works better and stick with it.

Both my eyes are open as well. I'm not sure about other people but I use the term 'open' very losely. My right eye i fully open and looking through the scope while my left eye is just 1/4 or so open. At first I didn't do this, but once I started to, now thats all I do. It helps with eye strain, and now that I'm used to it, it feels much more natural this way. Also, in a real world situation where there is stuff going on around you that might need your attention, I imagine this will give you a big advantage as well.

As 1957pistol said, it might be alot harder if your dominant eye is the one that is not looking through the scope. then I can see how it could be distracting, but then technically it's usually recommended you shoot with the side that your eye dominant in and not hand dominant(if they clash)

I noticed when I try shooting with both eyes open for a long period of time my eyes start to go blurry. Does anyone know what caused that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed when I try shooting with both eyes open for a long period of time my eyes start to go blurry. Does anyone know what caused that? </div></div>

Fatigue- one is focused the other not.

A trick shooters use to calm their eyes is to look down at a green surface (like grass) This reduces eye strain and relaxes eyes.

If you're on a spotting scope try covering your open non-dominant eye with your hand - it helps sometimes.

Does keeping both eyes open relax you that much more as to make it a worthy objective even if you find it difficult when using a scope of high magnification?

Jim G

I frequently spend several hours per day behind a spotting scope while training shooters. Keeping both eyes open and being able to switch eyes interchangeably is what makes that possible. Few people need to do that, though.

OTOH, if you operate on a 2-way rifle range, i.e., people are shooting at you, keeping both eyes open may save your life, and that of your teammates.

If neither applies to you, then it probably won't make much difference - but I approach every task involving training with any firearm as though people will be trying to kill me when I'm shooting. That's not something everyone chooses to do, I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I approach every task involving training with any firearm as though people will be trying to kill me when I'm shooting. That's not something everyone chooses to do, I suppose.</div></div>That's probably a good idea, depending on how proficient your students are.
laugh.gif

Graham: as you know, some of them show up proficient. I don't think either of us wants to shoot pistol against Louis, at least at any distance. And I don't think I have much to teach him about that.
laugh.gif

hmmmm 2 eyes open how about 2 eyes closed ahhh yes this is where the true talent lies. And lindy your a douche

My opinion it just depends how long a time you spend behind the scope. Open or closed, one isn't neccessarily better. An hour or two at the range, do whatever is comfortable. Shooting prairie dogs all day long, I keep em both open.

I have trained myself to shoot with both eyes open, but it takes practice. If for no other reason, the situational awareness factor was sufficient for me to train to do this... especially if you carry concealed everyday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with both eyes open because it reduces strain and fatigue in the muscles in my face and my situational awareness doesn't decrease nearly as much as shooting with just one eye open. </div></div>

I have trained myself to keep both eyes open for a multitude of reasons. Yet this one is really the most beneficial to me as I am pretty much just a range monkey. I am actually left eye dominant even though I am right handed, but after enough practice I can shoot from strong and weakside with both my eyes open. It really helps in seeing and acquiring the target.

I learned to shoot with both eyes open primarily for target aquisition and being aware of your surroundings. It is carried over from lots of trapshooting and sporting clays.

I don't spend especially long periods behind optics, and I do experience eye strain to a degree where I need to rest periodically.

Like JimG, I find it possible and advantageous to use both eyes where dot scopes are involved. Iron sights don't seem to work as well with two eyes for me, and any magnification makes two eyes open less comfortable than closing the off eye.

For resting eyes, I find it helps me most to turn my gaze to distant objects. Alternatively, using the method of looking at uniform fields of color and maybe even relaxing my focus can also help.

These days, I am becoming rather more and more profoundly farsighted, and need glasses for just about anything I do that requires clear vision. The VA provides mine from the same source as serves the US Army.

Greg

I shoot with both eyes open to relieve the strain and fatigue. It all really depends on the individual and how well you can focus with your eye thats in the scope.

I had both eyes that were pretty close so I had a problem in the beginning with my brain "switching" between my right eye and my left eye. I would have the reticle disappear on me and replace it with what ever my left was seeing. It was exhausting over a whole day of shooting and I can't tell you how hard it was to shoot weak-side. I trained by taking safety glasses and putting scotch tape over the left eye or right eye depending on the position. The tape disrupts your focus and your brain automatically focuses on the eye that has the clearer picture. I found this greatly reduced eye strain for me. I could still acquire targets with my left eye if needed I would just look around the clear tape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had both eyes that were pretty close so I had a problem in the beginning with my brain "switching" between my right eye and my left eye. I would have the reticle disappear on me and replace it with what ever my left was seeing. It was exhausting over a whole day of shooting and I can't tell you how hard it was to shoot weak-side. I trained by taking safety glasses and putting scotch tape over the left eye or right eye depending on the position. The tape disrupts your focus and your brain automatically focuses on the eye that has the clearer picture. I found this greatly reduced eye strain for me. I could still acquire targets with my left eye if needed I would just look around the clear tape. </div></div>

This actually a technique used by many precision shotoers who use costly "open sights" (precision apertures sights). They ahve shooting glasses that include a somewhat opaque, or partially opaque, weak eye lens. You buy this sort of gear at the shooting supply houses that cater to those shooters (Highpower shooters, or 300 meter international shooters)and also supply them with the shotoing jackets, competition-legal slings, and other paraphernalia.

Jim G

One thing I have noticed is the better the glass the easier it is. Maybe it is just me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the key is whether or not there is magnificaiton involved.

I find it easy to keep both eyes open when shooting a handgun or when using a red dot type sight, but do better with one eye open when using a scope, especially a high power scope.

Even with the handgun though, my "non-dominant" eye does still produce an "offset" image in my case, significantly to the left), but with practice I was able to get to the point where I can ignore that false offset image under most conditions.

I say "false" only because that image is naturally gonig to be at a different apparent location, since the non-dominant eye is not proeprly aligned with the sights. The dominant eye is.

I think the presence of magnification makes the "composite" view of magnified small field of view image plus unmagnified lagre field of virew image a little too complex and time consuming for my mind to process quickly enough to keep the scope reticle on the target reliably.

Jim G </div></div>

I'll generally agree with you on your first statement. However. I feel it is different for each individual shooter. Although perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

The only issue I ever have is with iron sights on a rifle about 75 yards or closer. It's taken some real practice to adjust to irons on a rifle. Scoped rifle, handgun and shotgun are both eyes open all the time, with magnified optics or not I actually find it much easier.

Whether my scoped rifles have scopes set to 1x or 25x it makes no difference for me to keep both eyes open. It took about 3 range sessions for me to get used to it, an now it feels odd if I try to close my off eye. Then again I shoot all firearms both eyes open.

I started with shotgun and noticed that my hit ratio on clays or dove/quail skyrocketed when I switched to both eyes open. Some of that may be attributed to a fuller field of view, a better swing and follow through and not trying to actually aim with the shotgun. With a shotgun the only thing I actually see is the target, I can't even tell you that I see part of the barrel in the sight picture, because focusing on that starts to lean back toward aiming- shotgun is a different game unless turkey hunting or using slugs for deer.

I have both eyes open with everything I shoot. I was told this was "poor" form, but it is most comfortable to me, and it works too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have trained myself to shoot with both eyes open, but it takes practice. If for no other reason, the situational awareness factor was sufficient for me to train to do this... especially if you carry concealed everyday. </div></div>

+1 train yourself to use both eyes open: Increases situational awareness, helps track movers, helps engage multiple targets, allows better depth perception, etc...cheers...

I shoot with both open. Helps me a lot with wind read and shot timing. I started by wearing a hoodie and covering the left side of my face with the hood over my head while shooting. Then transitioned to shooting without eye/face covered. I did all of my training with a low power 4x on my 22. Now Its easy with my 7mm mag doing field over watches.

I shoot with 2 eyes open. I have always felt it allowed for a faster follow up shot and I could view bullet placement.

I do it with magnification all the time. It just takes getting used to, you sort of "shut off" the non-dominant eye (a partial squint will allow me to focus using only the dominant eye).

I do find it much easier than squinting. Only way to go with defensive pistols IMO.

Been doing this for years and it's worked well for multitasking also. ie, looking through a rifle scope and switching focus on the other eye to check the level with the other eye without moving off my anchor. I'm left eye dominant, shooting right handed though so my left eye wants to be part of the game, can't leave it out.

xdeano

Took me a while to get the hang of keeping both eyes open but now its automatic. Biggest thing I've found is I seem to get much less eye fatigue after a long shooting session.

I shoot rifles both eyes open no problem but have a harder time shooting pistols both eyes open

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1957pistol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are a right handed shooter and are right eye (or left and left) dominant, using both is the same sight picture as using only your right eye.
However, if you are right handed left eye (or left hand right eye) dominant the sight picture with both open is not the same.
If that makes sense.
I shoot with one eye with a pistol. two with a rifle.
either you can or you can't. find what works better and stick with it. </div></div>
+1 ^

Also, to relieve eye fatigue I've been told, and it seems to work, look at a distant object for a short time. A friend told me when he shoots high power he looks far and right before the shot he brings his sight in for the clearest sight picture(on irons though). This seems to be a "gaming" solution and doesn't fit a tactical situation.

I learned to shoot with both eyes open while shooting archery. I feel more relaxed with them both open and as Infinity pointed out, it allows for better situational awareness. I highly recomend learning to shoot with both eyes open, I dont see a downside to it.

For those of you struggling with trying to shoot both eyes open on scoped rifles.

Try taking a piece of thin arts and crafts foam and cut a 3" x 5" piece. Cut a hole slightly smaller then the eyepiece to your scope. Slip it over the scope and make sure it's long enough to cover your other eye. Looks stupid as hell but it's super comfortable.

For any other gun you can take a crappy pair of safely glasses and put painters tape over one of the lenses. When your done the painters tape peels right off and no sticky residue left behind.

As a rule, you get target acquisition faster that way on a moving target. Most hunters can verify this fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot rifles both eyes open no problem but have a harder time shooting pistols both eyes open
</div></div>
Place a small piece of scotch tape (the size of a dime) on your shooting glasses over your non-dominent eye. Try this with your handgun and over time you may be able to take the tape off. For me, I just leave the tape on and shoot both eyes open with irons on my pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RottenII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took me a while to get the hang of keeping both eyes open but now its automatic. Biggest thing I've found is I seem to get much less eye fatigue after a long shooting session. </div></div>

Big +1 on this. Before when I would close my left eye the strain was very bad. My left eye would hurt for a long time after a long range session. Leaving both eyes open I don't have any issues with that. Does take a bit to get used to the different looking sight picture but now that I'm there it's much better.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot rifles both eyes open no problem but have a harder time shooting pistols both eyes open
</div></div>
Place a small piece of scotch tape (the size of a dime) on your shooting glasses over your non-dominent eye. Try this with your handgun and over time you may be able to take the tape off. For me, I just leave the tape on and shoot both eyes open with irons on my pistols.</div></div>

I'll work on that. Thanks

In a combat situation you don't want to limit your field of view, especially in a CQC type scenario.

Train like you fight, fight like you train!

For me it less fatigue and I like to know what's going on around me especially on an operation.

I first started to shoot with both eyes open in archery. As I'm sure you know, both eyes help with depth perception. Learning to shoot with both eyes open was surprisingly easy for me. I've also noticed that my groups closed up and my accuracy improved.

I've since addapted this to pistols and then to my rifles as well. I found the same improvements over closing one eye. I've also noticed that it has pretty much killed any flinch that I developed.

It was trickier to do with a scope, granted. But what I learned to do was relax the off eye, almost like when you space out.

Certainly a noticeable difference over one eye open, for me anyways...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham: as you know, some of them show up proficient. I don't think either of us wants to shoot pistol against Louis, at least at any distance. And I don't think I have much to teach him about that.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I just saw this post today...

Lindy, that words coming from you has a lot of meaning for me. Thanks.

I think I was just "in" (mentaly) those day at RO...

And I wish one day I will know only 10% of what you may already forgot in shooting techniques.
wink.gif

Hope to see you again in RO next year for the PR3&4.

I use both systems: close on eye and shooting with both eyes open. It depends on the situation.
For maximum accuracy, closing one eye helps me focus only on the sights and target (F-Class matches for example). For a more dynamic shooting situation (like when shooting in the field and alternate positions, I keep both eyes open as it gives me more field of view (others targets and wind indicators) while shooting.
I do this way either on rifle or handgun shooting.

LRCampos.

I shoot my scoped rifles both eyes open, everything irons sights one closed. I shoot clays both eyes open for shotguns.

I shoot with both eyes open. However, I often set a hat or article of clothing over my non dominant eye when shooting from the bench to add contrast to my sight picture.

Both open helps me reduce the frequency of the felt strain when I start the pull procedure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbradford71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember reading in several pots about aiming and shooting with both eyes open. What is the purpose of this? I find it very difficult for me to do this, I am able to see more clearly when my non shooting eye is closed. </div></div>

Purpose is mostly to reduce eye strain, and theoretically to increase situational awareness (field of vision) while shooting.

For me, as a cross-eye-dominant shooter, I sometimes have issues with both eyes open. I've trained, trained, and trained some more to overcome that issue, and can typically shoot pistol with both eyes open when the distances are 15 yards or less (typical gun fight distance with a pistol). At longer distances I usually squint my left eye out of the picture to get a good right-eye focus.

Rifles are a bit different. Using a holographic sight (Eotech) on my work rifle I can easily keep both eyes open while shooting. I've generally found that it is harder to keep both eyes open while shooting with magnified optics on precision rifle scopes. While it reduces eye strain to keep both eyes open, I find that focusing on two different distances can be distracting while shooting quickly. But, that varies a bit with the riflescopes... with my S&B I seem to be able to keep both eyes open more easily, and retain focus on the target through the scope.

Your mileage may vary. For whatever it's worth, I've seen great shooters shoot with both eyes open, and I've seen other great shooters shoot with one eye open.

i agree with knowing whats going on, but i get blurry vision after about 5 sec if i keep both eyes open