• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bottom Metal for 700 Rem M-14 mags

Re: Bottom Metal for 700 Rem M-14 mags

that would be a cool add on, id like to know also but dont think the 30rnd's would be practical

there hasnt been a great sucess ratio with using the M14 mags, so no one really offers it when there are far better components out there ie AICS mags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that would be a cool add on, id like to know also but dont think the 30rnd's would be practical </div></div>
I believe M14 mags are 20 rounders...

i might be wrong but I believe that with the M-14's magazines are too wide to work without having to modify the receiver. Also because if the the hole that it rotates into and catches on would have to be some how added too.

I think going with a system (Badger,CDI, Seekins...) or such that uses AI mags would be a lot cheaper in the long run, even with a couple of magazines even if they are more expensive.

JMC

I looked seriously at doing my own system to allow M14 mags to work, and it is technically feasible with the proper mods. The reason I decided against it, after mocking everything up, is purely based on reliability. There are so many bad M14 magazines available, that I couldn't guarantee ultra reliability. It's possible to do with high quality magazines, but dealing with and fielding questions about feeding problems isn't how I want to spend my day. I'm currently designing a different system that will be far better with magazines that are available at a low cost.

skunkworks, are you the same ones that built the minisub out of a propane tank?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skunkworks, are you the same ones that built the minisub out of a propane tank? </div></div>

Not me....

sorry then, they named the business skunkworks because of the smell addative propane has that always lingered around their shop

i actually thought about making one that used metric fal mags, so you can get the magcatch off to the side of the trigger guard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i actually thought about making one that used metric fal mags, so you can get the magcatch off to the side of the trigger guard </div></div>

Good luck, that's been done before as well. The mag is worse then the M1A mag and must be modified to the hilt to even think about working correctly.

who did it, ive never seen that one? just find it hard to shell out 300 for bottom metal and another 100 for a mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who did it, ive never seen that one? just find it hard to shell out 300 for bottom metal and another 100 for a mag </div></div>

A buddy and I did one version. I still have the cad images of the bottom metal somewhere. It was never sold, it was done to see what the feasibility of it was. Lots of metal needed to be removed from the action. The mag lips needed re-work and re-machined, and the mag would never work again in a Fal. (That's kind of the point. To have the Fal mag work in both weapons)

Most of what you can think of has in regards to mag conversions has already been done or tried. The reason you don't see it is it was either a PITA to do, or it just didn't work like it should.