• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom metal help

Jzell

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2017
I'm building 6.5 Creedmoor. Im buying deviant tactical. I wanted a double stack 10rd mag. I was wanting input on bottom metal that would be good. Ive seen Badgers recommended any others thanks.

I'm building 6.5 Creedmoor. Im buying deviant tactical. I wanted a double stack 10rd mag. I was wanting input on bottom metal that would be good. Ive seen Badgers recommended any others thanks.

Surgeon DBM are great and work fine with AW 10-round mags.

identify your preferred features and pick from there.

e.g., if you want to be able to use curtis 3rd flush mags as well, absolutely don't go with surgeon, badger v2 or ptg that have lips. but pick one of those if you want to press against a barricade. if you want most snag free, apa or curtis.

Some of what you pick depends on what flavor of magazine release that you want built into the unit. So pay attention to this when shopping, & if you can, try out ones with the different types of releases. You also need to decide if you want to alter your action to accept certain types of magazines. As not all DBM's work with stock actions. And do you want the magazine to be semi-protected by the DBM metal or not? Also, some units will accept both AI & AW mags, while others are only designed for AI style mags. Which gives you yet another decision to make. This, along with whether or not you want to have the ability to run magazines that let you run cartridges with OAL's longer than SAMMI spec's. For example, up to 4" in a long acton, or similar options in a short action. Though obviously the OAL won't be 4" in an SA.

I'm new to long range shooting but Im buying a deviant tactical action and I want double stack 10rds mags. I'm not familiar with all the bottom metal differences. Which bottom metal is best for all around shooting. Not just shooting on a bench.

I'm new to long range shooting but Im buying a deviant tactical action and I want double stack 10rds mags. I'm not familiar with all the bottom metal differences. Which bottom metal is best for all around shooting. Not just shooting on a bench.

They're all the same. Just a glorified trigger guard with a mag well. Some have different style mag release levers. But at the end of the day they all work. It's going to come down to aesthetics mostly.

I like the Surgeon because of the shape of the trigger guard, the paddle style release lever, and the extended mag lips that you can use as a barricade stop.

Defiance Deviant Tactical is already cut for AW mags. So you're fine there. Most of the DBM out there should work with AW mags as far as I know. I know Surgeon does. I have two rifles with their DBM.

untitled_by_haftelm-dbgxjyt.jpg

If your first rifle and completely unsure, I might recommend against the Surgeon. If you end up hating the mag lips, the larger footprint means you're stuck with it unless you get the stock filled and remilled.

If you went Badger v2 and didn't like it, you could switch to Badger v1 if you like the paddle release or APA RTG or Curtis if you prefer trim & clean lines. The DBM I mentioned here after the Surgeon all have the same footprint.

Not saying the Surgeon DBM isn't a solid product. It's excellent. But if you dont know, err on the of flexibility else everyone is going to tell you to use what they like.