• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom Metal / Mag Help (See Pics)

Danderson77808

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
In the pics you can see 2 of my rigs side by side. The flush mount mag has a HS-Precision bottom metal set up. The AI Mag set up is in a Surgeon bottom metal. I prefer a more flush mount style mag with less "rattle" as this gun will be used primarily for hunting.

What are my options here?

Does someone make a smaller profile mag for this bottom metal? Or can I change it our for the HS-Precision? I believe someone told me that inlet is diiferent?
0531200758.jpg

What does the Grey and Gray stocked rifle weigh ?
The optic, scope rings and ammo will likely out weigh the rifle...

Edited because of incorrect info. See my post below.

Last edited:
I bought a chassis that ran long action aics mags for hunting. Didn’t take long to figure out I made a mistake.

You can get a Magpul 7.62 AC 5 round mag that is a little lower profile and because it is polymer it won't have the metallic rattle round. I have had good luck with these mags and they feed incredibly smooth.

There are also metal 3 round AICS mags. I think accurate mag might make them. They are the closest thing to a flush mount you will get with that bottom metal. The rim on the bottom of the mag should be just below the bottom of the bottom metal when fully inserted.
Thanks for the advice, Ill give this a try!

Thanks for the advice, Ill give this a try!

I may have given you incorrect advice. On my initial reading of your post I was under the impression that your action was a short action .308 bolt face cartridge. If you are using a long action you cannot use the mags I listed above.

You will need to get long action magazines designed for magnum cartridges. There is not a polymer option for this that I know of.

Got it. I emailed HS and they told me there bottom metal fits a factory 700 bottom metal. So i guess the question is how much do you have to enlarge them to fit the M-5 style bottom metal? I wonder if i can swap it out and its a matter of filling a small gap?

Can you disassemble the bottom metal from each rifle and check fit since you have both in your possession?

I may have given you incorrect advice. On my initial reading of your post I was under the impression that your action was a short action .308 bolt face cartridge. If you are using a long action you cannot use the mags I listed above.

You will need to get long action magazines designed for magnum cartridges. There is not a polymer option for this that I know of.
1591096075473.png

This would fit the bill for what your describing in a long action?

If you're looking to swap to a floorplate style without having to mess up your inlet, this might help:

Thats my next move, im not sure if i need a gunsmith not to mess up the feed?

The bottom metal will not interchange between the two you have.

Two issues.
1: The "footprint" or outline of the Surgeon and H.S.Prec are totally different. The Surgeon is a good bit larger so it is not a matter of opening up the Surgeon to accept the H.S.

2: The Z-Axis offset or pinch points between the two are different as well. This is basically how deep the inlet extends into the bottom of the stock. Each DBM style bottom metal will have specific (very specific) target dimensions for this that must be met in order for it to properly present the magazine feed lips to the bolt path. That offset dimension is almost never the same from one style of DBM to another.

./

If your looking for "almost flush" fit, i have been running a Ruger 3 round polymer mag for hunting. Rounds were a few thou long but did a little work with a rat tail file in the front of the mag and they have been awesome. Feed great, supper light, quite and dam near flush. Also, there cheap so if it doesnt work out your not out a bunch of money.

If you're looking to swap to a floorplate style without having to mess up your inlet, this might help:
I looked at this but i guess i dont understand what it is? Is it just a different bottom metal that takes a different style of mag?

The bottom metal will not interchange between the two you have.

Two issues.
1: The "footprint" or outline of the Surgeon and H.S.Prec are totally different. The Surgeon is a good bit larger so it is not a matter of opening up the Surgeon to accept the H.S.

2: The Z-Axis offset or pinch points between the two are different as well. This is basically how deep the inlet extends into the bottom of the stock. Each DBM style bottom metal will have specific (very specific) target dimensions for this that must be met in order for it to properly present the magazine feed lips to the bolt path. That offset dimension is almost never the same from one style of DBM to another.

./
I didn't figure interchanging them would work. Thanks for saving me the headache!

Reactions: Terry Cross
If your looking for "almost flush" fit, i have been running a Ruger 3 round polymer mag for hunting. Rounds were a few thou long but did a little work with a rat tail file in the front of the mag and they have been awesome. Feed great, supper light, quite and dam near flush. Also, there cheap so if it doesnt work out your not out a bunch of money.
Do they make it in a long action?

I looked at this but i guess i dont understand what it is? Is it just a different bottom metal that takes a different style of mag?
It's a BDL style floorplate (uses a internal box mag) that fits a m5 inlet (like your surgeon bottom metal.....wider and longer than typical BDL) without creating a gap like you would if you tried to install a BDL floorplate in a M5 inlet.

It's a BDL style floorplate (uses a internal box mag) that fits a m5 inlet (like your surgeon bottom metal.....wider and longer than typical BDL) without creating a gap like you would if you tried to install a BDL floorplate in a M5 inlet.
So i could ditch the AI mag set up all together. Go this route and top load like a standard bdl rifle? And can install this myself? Im not afraid to trim stock if neccesary. Just don't want to do anything to mess up the feed

Yes, yes, and yes. It should drop right in. It doesn't include a box and spring, but I believe they tell you where to get one in the description.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danderson77808
Based on what I have read I also need to order and install this along with the Oberndorf bottom metal?

I believe the MBE-3 is specifically what I need for a 7mm Rem Mag?