• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bottom metal problems rem700 .223

northman77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ok so heres my problem.

Bought a new Rem700 SPS tactical in .223 last week, picked up a HS precision detachable mag assembly with it. I fitted it to the stock as per directions,it fits snugly and installs easily.

However, the mag is damn near impossible to remove once its in the gun. I filed out room for the mag release to move and that part works fine. The mag is in there so tightly and it sits almost flush with the bottom metal so it needs to be pried out of the magwell with a screwdriver.

So does anyone make a longer mag for the HS precision DBM in .223?? It would be fine if there was some way to grab onto the damn thing but right now its a huge PITA. Is there some way to make the mags drop free short of sanding down the contact surfaces of the mag itself? I understand break-in and all but this is ridiculous, im coming very close to just bubba-ing the damn thing with a file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Bottom metal problems rem700 .223

Sounds like the mag well is a bit too snug, does the mag work ok when it's not installed? If so you may have to relieve the stock a bit more.

Yes it works considerably better when not installed in the stock. It fits snugly but it installs easily. Ill try relieving the stock a little more.

The space between the bottom metal and the reciever is too short. The mag is getting jamed between the reciever and the bottom metal.Two things to do, 1st either shim the bottom metal, place two very thin 3/8 washers between the bottom metal(place them over the pillars in the stock so that the reciever screws will will go into the holes in the middle of the washers and get sandwhiched between the bottom metal and the stock). Second is to modify the mag catch on the mag itself. File the catch so that the distance between the bottom of the catch(If the mag is sitting with the cartrige opening up)and the end with the cartrige opening gets shorter